Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido

Unread 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Re: Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido

I did get my levels back from my GP, but he did not test the free T. My total T level from that test was a 39. My estrogen level was 331. I was pleased with my E levels. I thought it was interesting that I got that much of a difference in my T levels within days of each other.

I am pleased so far with the testosterone. I am on a reservoir patch, (Androderm) that I cut open, with my Dr's blessing, and squeeze a bit of gel out. I already see some benefits. I am thinking more clearly, not as forgetful, I seem to be a bit more upbeat (my husband says I am happily chattering his ear off), have a bit more energy, and I don't seem to have as strong of an odor in the female dept. (Sorry! TMI!) My last orgasm was a bit stronger! I don't notice any other difference in the libido dept, but it has only been a little over a week. I didn't expect anything overnight. Overall, I am pleased so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM

I am getting ready to go to a new GYN. I had my surgery last year total hyster. I am currently not on anything. I am going to talk to her abou this. I have severe dryness(lube dont help much) and no libido!! I am so ready to do something. I do take Celexa right now. Any advice before I go to Dr
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM

I would get your estrogen levels tested, too. Have you considered some type of vaginal estrogen? That usually helps with vaginal dryness in a very short period of time! I would not have started on testosterone if my estrogen was at rock bottom. I knew it was up at a good level before I started on T. Good luck! Keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:43 PM

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years. It doesn't have the 'kill the sex drive' like other anti depressants. I haven't really noticed an increase in my libido. I had my hysterectomy and ovaries removed 12 days ago. I opted for the Vivelle patch and a natural progesterone cream. The jury is still out if the sex drive is okay.
I do have something different though. I had a Bartholin's cyst the size of a golf ball on the side of my vagina. Painful! I have no idea what sex will be like now. Maybe since it won't hurt so much my brain will allow my libido to go back up. We'll see.
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the input. I hope things get better for you now that you have removed the cyst!

I have decided that I am sticking with testosterone. I am pleased to report that my sex drive is MUCH better. It kicked in after week number 2 of testosterone replacement. My Dr wants to do a follow-up around week 10. He will be pleased that we found what I needed. We will do some blood work to check on my T numbers.
Unread 08-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Talking - Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido Re: Wellbutrin vs. Testosterone for Libido

Ca,

I am taking wellbutrin (400mg/day) and not only is it not working for my depression, I can tell you that it's doing nothing for my libido either. One sometimes affects the other, but if the highest dose isn't working for one, maybe it won't work for the other.

I am still taking it because I quit smoking, and it at least takes my mind off of the smokes.

Hope something works for you, no sex drive really stinks :-(

Becky
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the input, Becky. I have decided not to even try Wellbutrin. Testosterone is working for me. I am sorry that you are having problems. I hope things turn around soon!!
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM

If something works, stick with it. Why attempt to fix what's not broken----I'm glad it worked out for you.
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:40 PM

I've been searching, trying to find the answer to "why Wellbutrin causes hair loss and thinning" and came upon an article that said that the Wellbutrin may actually cause the testosterone levels to rise and therefore may cause hair loss in woman. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. The Wellbutrin works very well for my depression, motivation, libido etc and I don't want to stop taking it if I don't have to....but I don't want to go bald either!! Any opinions appreciated. By the way, I'm post menopausal and have had a complete hysterectomy.

Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register