Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen? Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen?

Unread 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen?

Had a horrible night last night. My stomach hurt all evening and into the night, I couldn't sleep and I just felt awful. I am using 1/2 of a .0375 Vivelle patch, and 100 mg Progesterone nightly. I am super tired, breasts are swollen and sore and stomach is bloated. I had none of this before starting HRT so I am sure it is side effects and that my body is trying to adjust. My question is...should I try to adjust these dosages? I tried to call the doctor and she is out of town this week. The nurse told me to give it another week and call back if I was still having trouble. I will admit I am not a very patient person but I have two very important events coming up this weekend and next and I really would like to feel halfway decent for them. Please, does anyone have any suggestions? I am ready to get off everything and say forget it for now, but with my luck, that would probably make things worse. Do my symptoms sound like too much Progesterone, too much Estrogen? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Re: Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen?

If you still have ovaries they can produce hormones that can go high and low until they finally give up, plus being on any added hrt might give you too much at times.
If you have a stomach pain that could be something else and maybe seeing your family practice doctor would help.

When your doctor gets back you can discuss if you need an adjustment with your hormones. I know when I have too much I get tender breasts and retain some fluid, but it can be different with everyone.

I hope you feel better soon.

Unread 08-07-2010, 08:09 AM

Thank you so much for replying. Yes my ovaries hung in there for several years until about 4 years ago when i had very mild symptoms of mood swings, very mild 'warm' flashes etc. My biggest symptom was and is vaginal dryness. So premarin cream has worked just fine all this time. According to my bloodwork which i had to do regularly for other reasons (chronic hives) i am very sure my ovaries aren't producing anymore.

I stopped my Progesterone two nights ago figuring i would try to stabilize the estrogen, then see if i need the Progesterone. Well the down feeling and maybe a little swelling are better. But my breasts hurt non-stop, now i have headaches (NEVER have headaches) and have gained a couple of pounds. Sorry to ramble, but I am taking so little estrogen that i just am amazed it is causing me this much trouble. I am ready to just stop altogether. I don't know what to do. Thank you again for your advice, it really helps hearing from others who have been there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:28 AM

do you mind my asking what your chronic hives are from? I have had hives on and off for about eight months and am starting to wonder if they are caused by hormonal issues, which is why I am on this site! My hives stopped when I stopped eating (been on a liquid diet) to a large degree but seem to pop up in an almost cyclical pattern.
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Smile - Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen? Re: Too much Progesterone? Too much Estrogen?

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering from chronic hives. I can SO relate, no fun at all. To answer your question, no i still do not really know what causes my hives and i have had them on and off for over 15 years. I've had extensive allergy tests, thyroid tests, biopsies. You name it, I've done it. I've taken every antihistamine, prednisone way too many times. I was treated for Hyperprolactinemia because the endocrinologist said my prolactin was high but that didn't help my hives either. Just in the past year, my youngest son (21 yrs) has been diagnosed with Celiac disease (gluten intolerance). There is a connection with gluten and chronic hives. My hives have been gone (aside from some weird swelling i get on my forehead sometimes) for over a year now. Since he eats gluten free, the rest of the family does not eat much gluten at all anymore. Now I don't know for sure that is the connection but I wanted to mention that to you since you said your hives stopped when you stopped eating. It very well could be something in your diet that you are sensitive to. I wish I could be more help. Please keep us informed how you are doing and ask me any questions, I will help if I can.
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM

We did some iGe and iGg testing and I know what I am allergic to which will make it easier when I work up the nerve to eat. Having a big lump pop up in your throat is too scary to discuss. It would be odd since my periods were never particularly regular to have a cyclical problem but they are sort of appearing in cycles. It is likely not the liquid diet since I can sometimes go a week with no hives at all. Then this Am I have them all over the top of my left foot. They always appear in the AM now that I don't eat. My liver values were high but have gone back to normal. That's when I noticed that around the same times each month I have hives more, my lips may swell instead of just a tiny hive on my arm and I have buring mouth issues, also can be hormonal.

I honestly believe pretty much everything is a hormonal issue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register