Private Room?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private Room?? Private Room??

Unread 10-24-2001, 09:55 PM
Private Room??

Hi Sisters!

Well, in exactly three weeks from today, I will be visiting the castle for my TVH. My mother-in-law had a TVH about six months ago, and she had a roommate in her room with her. It wasn't a pleasant experience for her. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you know how I go about getting a private room. Thank you in advance for your help!

JudieAnne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2001, 10:06 PM
Private Room

Hi,
I am 14 days post op for a TAH. Good luck to you with yours.
A Private Room is the only way to survive. I called my hospital as soon as my surgery was scheduled and requested a private room. I was told there was a waiting list and had to be added to a little notebook and hope for the best.
After my surgery, I was placed in a room with a knee replacement paitient whose doctor insisted on doing in room therapy and telling jokes at the same time. How unprofessional to me!!! Anyway, my dear husband went to the nurses station and requested the next available bed and begged for mercy. It worked and within the day I was moved. I slept better and felt better.
Don't be shy and ask until you get one. You deserve it.
Good luck!!
Unread 10-24-2001, 10:42 PM
Absolutely, private room

I just let the clerk who signed me in and the nurse who got me ready for surgery that I wanted a private room. Somehow I lucked out and got one right away. Since my stay was 9 days long, I was very grateful, although I was not planning on paying for 9 days!!!! It was worth is.

Susan
HSChatTeamSusanW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2001, 01:35 AM
Private Room??

Hello there,
I wish I would have known before my surgery that you could request a private room. I would have requested one for sure.
My wanted me to stay in the castle for 2 days, but I begged him to let me go home early, because between my roommate & the s coming in every 5 mins. I could not get any
So my advice would be if you can get a private room, get it.
Take Care
Unread 10-25-2001, 05:10 AM
Private Room??

Thank you sisters....will call today! Do any of you know the average additional cost of a private room? Sounds like whatever the cost, it'll be worth it, but just wanted to be prepared!

JudieAnne
Unread 10-25-2001, 08:00 AM
Private Room??

HI JudieAnne

i am in west central Indiana. The additional cost per day was $10.00. I think alot depends on the hospital and where you are located.

Good luck !
Unread 10-25-2001, 08:20 AM
Private Room??

I had as private room right off the bat....I wasn't in a wing where my doc wanted me and pre-op a friend of mine who married into a wealthy family that owns the hospital said she was going to check into some VIP treatment.........I've since suspected thats where the private room came from but I was very greatful...esp. the first day when "I" was the moaner!
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:42 AM
Private Room??

Hi

Requesting a private room is a great idea. It cost me $30.00 per night and I would have paid DOUBLE that.

First call the hospital and make the request. Then ask your doctor to make the request. At your check in and/or pre-admission appointment confirm your request. The morning of surgery ASK/Confirm again.

This is one of the cases when the squeaky wheel really does get the grease.

Make it known you REALLY want it.

Hugs

Traci
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Private Room??

Dear JudieAnn,

My private room was supposed to cost $60 per nite (insurance won't cover it), BUT my doc said he would try to get me on a different floor, and I ended up on a surgical floor where all the rooms were private (yay!), so I didn't have to pay any extra.

One thing to remember, if you want a private room, GET ONE! Don't bat an eye over a few extra $$, cuz YOU'RE worth it

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:58 AM
Private Room??

Never spending anytime in a hospital I had no ideal that all the rooms weren't private. My surgery was done with two days notice so I hadn't even checked it out, pre ops were done the same day. It was a living nightmare. The person next to me left her TV on high volume night and day even when she was sleeping. There I was the first night at 3 o'clock in the morning with the 3 stooges on I couldn't sleep I just laid there and cried. I told them if they couldn't move me I was leaving and I would have. They finally moved me into another room where the person was very quite. I could well afford a private room I wouldn't have cared what it cost they just had none available. If you can ask for one do so immediatly.

Good Luck

TAH/BSO & appendix
Large fibroids & a surprise case of endo
severe anemia

8-24-01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register