Still debating on having a hysterectomy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still debating on having a hysterectomy?? Still debating on having a hysterectomy??

Unread 10-25-2001, 09:55 AM
Still debating on having a hysterectomy??

Hi everyone,

I'm 29 years old and have been lucky enough to have 3 beautiful children. I have had endo since I had my first...about 6 yrs now. I have tried everything there is to try and still I am in pain on a daily basis. I've tried pills, it burned off 3 times, I had my left ovary removed and tried the Lupron shots. I have gotten to the point now where I will do anything to stop the pain. My husband will too. He's tired of hearing my complain and seeing me suffer. I have scheduled a hysterectomy this October, but since I have 3 small kids I need extra help while recovering, and I only have my Hubbie, who is great but, just started a new job and can't take off time to help. So, I have to wait ......in pain until I can find some help. I am so tired of feeling like its something I can forget about...like it's in my head or something. I feel like a fool calling in for pain medicine on a 2 week basis and feeling like they are questioning my pain? Does anyone else deal with the same problems as me? I am trying to be upbeat about getting the surgery done, but honestly I'm scared! Will it hurt? For how long? What are the effects of the hormones? etc.? Help if you can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:15 AM

Hi there. I will be having a LAVH sometime before the new year(I hope) but I don't have a date yet. I am 28 yrs old and mom to 4 gorgeous daughters. I always had probs with my cycles from the very beginning and was finally diagnosed via lap in 1996. I have done the surgeries and drugs also. I had a lap last Sept for adhesions and to remove my appendix. Although my OB?GYN said I had lots of places that were very indicative of endo my path reports came back negative for endo. He said it was probably due to the fact that I hadn't had periods in so long due to being PG and breastfeeding. He told me then it was a 50/50 chance of a flare up once my periods returned. We are not sure if the endo is back or not but it is a possibility since my ultrasounds show something all over one of my ovaries. My main reason for the LAVH is due to uterine and bladder prolapse. I will also be having pelvic floor repairs and anterior/posterior vaginal wall repairs. I am hoping that there is no sign of endo so I can at least keep the healthy ovary but won't know the outcome til I wake up.

I am sorry to hear that you will have to wait for relief until you can find help. I am lucky in that area. My MIL(best friend) and my Aunt live just a few blocks from me. My hubby will take some time off of work and my mom will come from out of state for a week or so to help me.

I, like you am pretty scared. Not so much of the surgery myself as I have an awesome Urogyn but at the recovery. I am a very active person and cannot fathom staying down for so long. I do plan on doing exactly what my Dr tells me but it's not going to be an easy task.

Hang in there and take care.

Peggy
Unread 10-25-2001, 10:34 AM
Hi!

Hi JiggyCarrie!

I don't know if this is going to be any consolation, or not...but during my TAH recuperation...I really honestly did not have a whole lot of help beyond the initial first days.

Sounds like your children are all 6 and under...so that makes it a bit more difficult. Are they home or in pre-school pragrams? My kids are all teens...and were able to assist with things like meals and general picking up.

I think...as long as you prepare ahead of time...you could still forge forward with your surgery! You MUST have someone...friends, family, church, neighbors...that could help at least minimally? Start preparing meals NOW...that you can freeze in portions for yourself to heat and eat and to feed the family. Find a teen that may be willing to sit with you during the time your DH is at work...in case the little ones need assistance. I think you could find a 16 to 18 year old out of school...for a couple bucks an hour. Remember that you will be right there...so you only need to hire a helping hand...not someone that is a professional Nanny! (We have several girls in my neighborhood!) Ask friends if they could commit just one or two hour shifts helping out. (I would do it in a heartbeat!) Do you have a volunteer network in your area? Call them and ask for volunteers. Even if you do not have your own church...call an area one and ask for help...there are many lovely elder women in my church...who just LOVE doing this sort of thing. It gives them something to do to fill their time and makes them feel needed!

There is no reason why you should have to suffer! If you still can not work things out...see the November issue of Ladies Home Journal. It has a great article about new treatments/alternatives for endometriosis!

Best Wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:36 AM

Hi and welcome!

I am so sorry that you are suffering. Something you might think about is asking for some assistance from relatives, neighbors, friends...and a possible resource might be your church or synagogue. Many times sisters have said they have gotten wonderful help with childcare, housekeeping and meals from their religious groups. Might be worth investigating!

Your kids are little, so you are right to think this through fully before jumping in, but with some help and a lot of good planning, you might be able to do it sooner rather than later.

Perhaps your husband can find out what kind of time he may be able to take and WHEN, so you can at least know what your timeframe is.

I really hope you can get some relief and some help very soon!

s to you!!

Karen
Unread 10-25-2001, 10:53 AM

Hi jiggyCarrie:

I also am 29 yrs. old. I have a 10yr. old and a 2 yr. old. I considered not having the surgery also becasue of my 2 yr. old! But, then I figured we could get by, it has to be done sometime. I am having a TAH a week from today. I was told by my Dr. that I will not be driving for the first 2 weeks, will be in the hospital for about 3-4 days/depending on how I do. So, I made arrangements to have someone come in to clean and do all of the laundry and ironing 1 day a week. If I need her more she can come in more often. I placed an ad in our local newspaper. I placed it just for one day, very simple (to keep the clost down). Just said I needed a housekeeper and my #. I got a TON of calls. My 2 yr. old goes to daycare now and between daycare and a friend who does not work, that is how she will be taken care of. On the weekends & nites it will be my mom and DH that help out. I never tried my church but, in my area there are a lot of stay home mothers who rely on the classifieds to find part time work. You may want to try placing an ad just for a day or 2 and see what you come up with. Since I do not have any family by me except my mom (and she works full time) I needed to hire someone. It sounds like you have been through a lot. I look at it this way: If I have to be in bed for a couple weeks and have help with my kids, at least it's better than a couple days each month away from them while I am in bed in pain! Listen to the sisters here, they helped me A TON! I have also prepared lots of meals and froze them in small plastic bowls for the kids and DH. I also bought some "goodies" for my DH and mom who will be with me at the hospital. So, when I am in surgery, they will have some magazines and snacks to keep them busy.

Best of luck to you! E-mail me anytime!
Minette
Unread 10-26-2001, 08:18 AM
Thank you for your advice!

Thank you All, for the great ideas about how to have the surgery and still care for my children. I didn't think of the church, but I have a wonderful church family and I'm sure they would be glad to help me out.

The freeze a meal idea is great too, that would help out my DH a bunch and he wouldn't feel so crazy. I think I might try to schedule this surgery for the beginning of January. Since Thanksgiving and Christmas seem to fall right at the time I need this. I was thinking of doing it over the Thanksgiving Holiday, but my DH wasn't to kean on spending his only time off watching over me and the kids. We had plans to go to see family in FLA, but I'm thinking now, I might just stay here and do it! He's just gonna have to deal! Right? Well, thanks again for all the concern and advice you all have given, I'm so happy I found this site it is nice to know people out there have experienced the same things I have and can lend a hand.

Thanks to All
Carrie
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:24 AM
One more opinion...

Hi again, Carrie!

Just wanted to add an opinion...

I think DH is right about the holiday scheduling. I personally would not want to be recuperating over the holidays....could get rather depressing and you may force yourself to do a LOT more and end up hurting yourself! (I can envision it with ME!)

January sounds tops!! What a way to ring in the New Year...with a NEw YOU!

Hugs
Kat
Unread 10-26-2001, 04:02 PM
check some old posts and the pulldowns

Carrie

Like you I have 3 small children. My boys are 5,8,and 9. They were really good about "taking it easy" on Mom. They understood better than I gave them credit for.

Go back through the pre-op posts. There are 2 or 3 good lists of suggestions. Also check the pulldown menus, there are meals and ideas there.

If I can help with any suggestions please don't hesitate to e-mail me privately or on the board.

Good luck and keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register