New to this board | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to this board New to this board

Unread 10-25-2001, 08:57 AM
New to this board

Hello all, I can't really say I am happy to be posting on this board, but I need a little advice. I had a TVH on August 6th and at my 4 week check the dr did an ultrasound because of some complaints that I had at the time, and found over 13 cysts on my ovaries already after cleaning them off during my surgery and then by my 6 weeks check he did another ultrasound and there were over 20 by then some of which looked like small tumors. Well anyway he decided to do a lab workup and see if there happened to be anything fishy like cancer and it came back negative for cancerous cells but positive for precancerous cells. Since then I have been going in every 2 weeks to have the same lab workup done and the test always come back as precancerous cells, as a precaution the dr decided to do a BSO as I also need a bladder sling and Vaginal cuff repair done so get it all done at once and then there would be no more worries. Well, I went in on Monday and had the lab done yet again and yesterday right on schedule the dr called to give me the results, but this time he said that there are cancerous cells instead and that I need to have surgery right away, what I am wondering is how in the world do they know for sure it is cancer. I mean I thought they have to do a biopsy and take an actual piece of the tissue to be sure, and all he hasd done is biopsied the fluid from some of the tumors. I am supposed to go in and have the surgery on Monday where they will perform a BSO with bladder sling and Vaginal cuff repair and I am so scared, I asked the drif that would take care of everything and he said he hopes so but he is going to send me to an oncologist just to be safe once the surgery is over. Well, if the surgery will take care of it why do I have to go to an oncologist? If anyone can help me understand this I would greatly appreciate it if not just knowing that I am not alone helps me immensly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2001, 12:59 PM
New to this board

Dawn cancer is a scary word to have in your life. I dont know much about ovarian cancer. But one thing that I would suggest is to ask your Dr to see the oncologist before your surgery. This way you will be getting an experts advice .
Don't ever think you are alone in all of this, we here at cancer concerns have all had a scare with cancer/precancer and know how important it is to have someone to lean on. We are here for you You take good care and please let us know how you get on x x
Unread 10-25-2001, 01:09 PM
New to this board

Hi Dawn,
So sorry that you are going through this after already having your hysterectomy.

To answer your question as to how they know if its cancer, sometimes, they can tell by the bloodwork . There is a test called a CA125 that they can do which if its elevated it can mean that there may be cancer there, but also can be elevated for other reasons. Our dear Vicki, knows this test inside out and upside down, and I am sure she will be along to reply as well.

There are other blood tests as well like I have called the Beta and LDH which can be elevated also and indicate cancerous cells. These tests and the ultrasound and CT scan are what pretty much told my doctor and oncologist that they were dealing with a cancerous tumor.

My question to your doctor would be ....why not have the oncologist attend the surgery?.....instead of waiting and sending you to him/her afterward? That may be something you want to ask him. Its often the case that the oncologist will either do the surgery, or at least attend the surgery. It may very well be that your doctor is confident that he will get it all with the surgery and just wants you to do a follow up with an oncologist.

It sounds to me Dawn like this is very early stage if it is indeed cancerous cells. You have been checked very often, and if the changes are showing now within weeks of your last check, then this is very early I would say.

Try not to worry, I know...easier said than done. You are not alone here, we have all been through this, and you will get through it as well!!
Sending good thoughts and prayers for Monday, and please let us know how you are doing when you feel up to posting!
Sending big hugs Dawn!!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2001, 06:48 AM
New to this board

Don't be upset about the oncologist, this is a precaution and you need to have an expert's advice on what is going on in your body. I know that it seems frustrating but there are certain steps that you have to take to insure a great outcome of good health! It's hard, but we have to be patient! Please don't feel alone at all because we are all here to help you through this! You are going through a scary time and you need to be able to discuss things and know what to expect or the questions to ask. It sounds like the other ladies have already given you some great answers! Please take care and remember that you have support here!
Unread 10-27-2001, 10:17 PM
New to this board

{{Dawn}}

I'm so sorry to hear you are having this scare. I know how scary it can be to hear of abnormal test results, but try if you can to take one step at a time.

I don't know what kind of labwork you had done but as Maria mentioned earlier, if it was a CA125 blood test, these really are not considered "diagnostic" tests. They measure a protein that can elevate in some ovarian cancers but they can also elevate due to other conditions. Nothing is certain until pathology is performed.

One other thing I wanted to share with you that my Gyn Oncologist told me is that one thing they look for when dealing with any kind of "mass" on the ovaries is looking at the shape, texture and density of it. One that is more round, smooth even textured and not solid is less likely to be cancer than one that is misshapen, bumpy textured and solid.

I don't know if this helps any but please do take each step as it comes. I know that its hard to get past the "what ifs". Please know we're all here for you.

Best of luck to you for your upcoming surgery.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register