am I making this decision too soon? please give me thoughts (fibroids) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

am I making this decision too soon? please give me thoughts (fibroids) am I making this decision too soon? please give me thoughts (fibroids)

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
am I making this decision too soon? please give me thoughts (fibroids)

Hi.

I'm 35 years old and was diagnosed with two intramural fibroids 1.5 years ago. I'm pretty sure I will end up with a hysterectomy because of them. 7 months ago the largest fibroid was 10 cm. I am going to have another ultrasound tomorrow to measure again. Meanwhile I have changed doctors. Nothing really wrong with the last one, I just felt from all the pictures all over the office of the babies he's delivered and the huge billboard like sign on the building adveritsing waterbirths, that I'd be more comfortable somewhere else, since I wasn't planning on having a baby and that seemed to be his speciality. Anyway, I digress....

My new doctor did an examination last week and he says he would guess that the main fibroid has grown. He says it is huge and the size of a baby's head. We briefly discussed options, but decided to meet after the ultrasound when we knew exactly what was happening. I've known for a while that I will probably choose hysterectomy. I've done much research on fibroids and know they won't go away on their own. Here's my concern....should I do this? I can feel the fibroids, and at night they are fairly painful when I lay down, but dealable. But when I read the experience of ladies on this site I worry I'm being a wimp and maybe jumping the gun. I don't have terrible bleeding, etc. But I also reason, why wait till I can't stand it, since I know nothing is going to make them go away? I'm just not sure. I don't want UFE, because frankly, that scares me more than surgery.

I feel like my mind is made up, but have a niggling little concern that I'm being hasty. Any thoughts, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Re: am I making this decision too soon? please give me thoughts (fibroids)

I would suggest you wait till after you get the sono results and talk with your doctor about your options before making a final decision. You are the only one who can decide what is best for you. I know I got to the point where I was so fed up with the pain, bleeding, etc, and trying other options, that I just knew it was time. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. Keep us posted. Hugs!
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Hi mayjunejuly:

Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

Kudos to you for seeking out a 2nd medical opinion. I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:34 AM

MayJuneJuly-

I have to admit I was terrified of UFE until I talked with my doctor and he got on board and referred me to a Intervention Radiologist. I had the procedure on May 24 of this year and I'm starting to see some fantastic results. But it did take some time and I could have more rough days ahead but so far, i'm pleased. I had an 8 cm fibroid and I'm 32 so we aren't too far apart. But you have to do whatever you are comfortable with. If I can answer any questions on UFE just let me know. Good luck!
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks gals! I go to doc today for the ultrasound and convo so I'll let you know!
Unread 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi - I get the feeling you should postpone your surgery and calmly consider the alternatives. If you feel this uncomfortable with your decision, follow that instinct and wait awhile. I'm in the same situation, luckily not bleeding heavily and researching the alternatives. I am seriously considering MrgFUS - cooking the tumors with radiowaves. No incisions, no down time. I just saw an awesome video on one site showing a doctor with 5 of her patients descibing their experience. Did you see the video on myomectomy on this site? They say that no fibroid is too big and there are never too many to do this. I don't want the risks and complications that may come with hysterectomy! I haven't estimated the costs of these procedures yet; next step.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Hi Mayjunejuly,

I had a hysterectomy because of two large fibroids. So...I can understand some of what you are going through. Fibroids are not fun !!

Normally...a hysterectomy for fibroids is an elective surgery...so that can sometimes make the decision making a little harder. Why have the surgery ??

In my case... one of my reasons to have a hysterectomy was my quality of life...or because I was not having a quality of life. My life revolved around my fibroids. I had fibroid pressure 24/7, bladder incontinence, indigestion, no energy...not to mention scary heavy, very long periods each month.

My hysterectomy is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health. Now...I have no fibroids of course, no periods, I have energy and my bladder works great. So for me...a hyst was a good choice.

In the end...just do what is ~best~ for you. That is what is important.

Mary
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanks Mary! I decided to go ahead with the surgery and it's scheduled Aug. 31. I'm sure it's the right thing for me, since nothing else is guaranteed to eliminate the fibroids. I don't want UFE because I don't want "dead" fibroids remaining in my body. Myomectomy is just as invasive as hysterectomy, surgery and danger-wise. And honestly, I don't think my low budget insurance is going to pay for anything too "new-fangled". Lol. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and support!
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Your post sounds like it could have been written by me.
I have several large fibroids. 3 docs have recommended hysterectomy. I've researched the other procedures to death. Like you, I do not want dead fibroid tissue hanging around in my body.

I'm no longer having a period, but have "phantom periods" and lots of pelvic and bladder pressure.

I'm leaning toward hysterectomy. Several friends are all spportive, but one is raising H about it, insisting I can shrink my fibroids with a strict diet?!!! Anyone heard of this or been able to do this themselves?
Unread 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi Princesses,
Only you and your Dr can make the call as to whether or not surgery is right for you. I have a fibroid that was discovered in 2006 and has grown in size. Since I'm still on the other side of menapause and it will probably only get bigger, I've decided (based on 1st and 2nd opinions) to have a hyster. The Dr who will do the surgery said a myoectomy(sp?) was as dangerous as having a hyster as it can cause uncontrollable bleeding (already anemic). So, listen to your body and Dr. You'll know when you're ready.

Peacelily

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register