Shaving pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shaving pre-op? Shaving pre-op?

Unread 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Shaving pre-op?

So anyone else worried about "trimming the garden" LOL

I want to make sure no one else has to do it and its been a bit since I have. Wasnt sure if they want you to or not. I know my legs will be shaved for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Re: Shaving pre-op?

I was told that if i wanted to shave my Garden that i could but it was up to me but i am been cut open.. So i say if u want to make her look nice go a head i dont think they will care
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:07 PM

I only worried about my legs, underarms and the bikini area close to your legs. trust me you won't know they shaved you until you wake up. I was instructed not to but ask your doctor. good luck with your surgery will send a prayer up for you let us know how it goes. I am one week tomorrow and doing great. by the way I had a TAH-BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:35 PM

meldiane -

Please make sure you check with your Dr. first. There are many instances where no shaving is done (I didn't have any).

If you do shave it could potentially create nicks or cuts that would be sites of possible infection. I won't say they would cancel your surgery over it but you don't want to risk it.

Call your Dr. and ask about the procedures.

G.
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM

I was told not to shave anywhere near my surgery site...underarms and legs were ok, but no pubic hair....they do that with clippers to prevent any tiny cuts from the razor...dont worry, they know what they are doing and do it all the time! In fact, my doctor did mine...

check to be sure you know what your doctors preferences are.
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:33 AM

I was told to shave 'everything I could see in the mirror' - I had a TAH and it was not just for the surgery site but for the dressings afterwards too.
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:59 AM

I didn't shave -- and they didn't shave me. It's funny the things we think about -- cause I was wondering about that the week of my surgery too. LOL :-D
Unread 08-13-2010, 01:40 AM

I didnt shave and they did shave me, but I wouldnt have known to shave as much and as low as they did, I agree with many of the posts just ask your Dr....I did shave under arms and legs
Good luck
Unread 08-13-2010, 03:29 AM

Wow, so many different answers. Nothing was said to me, but I had a brazilian wax just in case. They didn't even ask me on the morning of my surgery.

I think it's so much better to not have any hair in the way of dressings etc, it pulls enough on the skin, let alone having hair underneath.

When I had my exploratory laparascope about 6 weeks ago they gave me a razor in preop and told me to shave my pubic area (different hospital) I was really annoyed because if I had known I could have done a much better job than a dry shave with a disposable razor in a toilet cubicle.

The same with underarms and legs. Unless you're happy to just let it grow, have a wax beforehand because it will be a long time before you are up to shaving your own legs etc.
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM

It was about 4 or 5 weeks before I felt like shaving my legs....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register