Should I start HRT? 4 wks post op... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I start HRT? 4 wks post op... Should I start HRT? 4 wks post op...

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Should I start HRT? 4 wks post op...

Hi sisters! I need some advice on HRT. I had a TAH/BSO on 7/19 and I am 26. So far I have had maybe 1 hot flash, no mood swings, no moodiness, and (wonder of wonders!) easy weight loss! I haven't noticed any negative changes in how I look, feel or act. I go in to see my doctor again in 2 weeks and he will probably want me to start HRT.
I never tolerated any kind of birth control pre-hyster (including bio-identicals / IUDs / patches etc.) And I feel so good now - do I have to take HRT? I am aware of bone density issues and heart problems later on, but I have really big bones and I eat heart smart (no red meats, lots of fruits and veggies and fiber). What do you think? If I am comfy HRT free do I start taking it anyway just because of age?
Thanks for the input - Evangelina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Re: Should I start HRT? 4 wks post op...

Hi Evangelina!

You sure do have a beautiful name, by the way.

If I had my ovaries removed at your very young age, there is no way I would choose to go without HRT and consquently have the same body chemistry (in regards to hormone levels) of a woman twice my age! Because I had my oophorectomy (along with my hysterectomy) at the ripe old age of 50 I decided to "wait and see" what would happen after my ovaries were removed. By the time my six-week post-op appointment date arrived suffice it to say the results were not pretty. My gynecologist asked me if wanted to start HRT, my answer was a resounding "Bring it on!!!"

I hope that whatever you decide, the choice ends up being the best one for you.

s,
Unread 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

I have a friend who had TAH/BSO at 26 and she is now 38 and never took any hormones, and was fine and still is fine. I am 36 and just had LAVH 6 days ago and right now I feel fine. If I feel fine I will not do HRT and if I feel lousy I will. I never did well on birth control pill so I don't really want to take hormones, but I will if I feel bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 11:43 PM

I guess I'd discuss what else you need to do for bone density, etc, when you see your Dr. Then if that's covered and you feel fine, and don't want HRT, find out if there are other reasons to take it that you haven't thought of. Its up to you, really. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM

I was 34 when I had my final surgery for gyne issues. Many surgeries leading up too the removal of the final ovary and some remmnants. I went 9 months thinking I could handle it. The hotflashes and night sweats weren't that big of a deal for me. Over the past several months I started feeling like I was loosing control of myself. Terrible mood swings and exhaustion, terrible pain. I finally gave in and went to my gyne and begged him for HRT. I just started on the vivelle dot patch. Very low dose on Tuesday. I have been on it now for 3 days and I am feeling different. Not as angry and emotional. This decision has to be your own. We can tell you personal experiences but it will have to be up to you. There are pros and cons to the HRT. Surgical meno is differnt than natural. If you decide not to get on the HRT then please speak with your doc about supplementing for bone and heart health. You are young with a very long life ahead of you. Take care of what you got now so you don't regret the future.
Unread 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Hello Ladies... Haven't written for a while. I am not quite sure what some of the terminology means but I will tell you my experience. First of all I am going to be 42 at the end of sept. I have been on Testosterone cream for 5 years. I could tell things were different then, dry and loss of being able to get over the edge with an orgasm. The testosterone helped and life went on. About 2 years ago my periods began to get heavy. Fibroids and the start of my hormones going up and down started. Moody, insomnia before my periods were my symptoms. I had my cervix (pre cancerous stuff) and uterus removed. My doc Swore It was just an empty sac and life would be the same. I knew better and this is why I waited for my hysterectomy. I have switched docs since my surgery. 3 days after my hster, I started to have heart palps and major hot flashes. My doc told me it was HIGHLY UNLIKELY for the ovaries to go in to shock. Just the opposite! Your ovaries get some of their blood supply from the uterus and until they gain back their own supply, they go in to a shock causing hormonal effects. I am now on the viv dot patch (last night first application) and I pray it cures me. I have been weird, moody, unloving and just not myself. Tired, achy etc. I pray I dont gain a tire as I am very flat and fit. Ladies, Doctors are not god. Know your info and know that when you remove something, it will effect your body.... Period. Woman and men need to realize that as you get older and loose these essential hormones, quality of life declines. Its like an old car, it breaks down. I believe in hrt as the natural stuff I tried even for the perimenopausal stuff just doesnt work! Good luck ladies!
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I am now almost 8 weeks post op and still (fingers crossed) feeling fine. In fact I feel better without my ovaries than I did with. My doctor has advised me to trust my body and that if I feel good without hrt then there is no need to mess with success. Thanks -Eva

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register