Where to start??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where to start??? Where to start???

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Where to start???

OMG there is so much information on HRT I am lost. I am 6 days post-op and going for my post-op appt tomorrow and he said we would talk about HRT. Wanted to go with some questions for him and don't even know where to start. How in the world do you decide what to try? Estrogen, progesterone, testosterone...bioidentical, plant extract, I am totally lost. I would appreciate any info I can get. I have looked at all the forums on Yes, HRT; No, HRT; etc and am still confused. I had a TAH with both ovaries taken and am having a few issues. I am having hot flashes with a few cold spells, and crying jags, which I know is normal. I just want to at least have a starting point to go in with tomorrow. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Re: Where to start???

There sure is a lot of available information and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. You're wise to do some research and ask questions so that you have an idea of what you would like to try.

Generally it's easiest and best to start out on estrogen only but from checking your profile information, I see that you're dealing with an endometriosis diagnosis as well. That can complicate things since any endometriosis that wasn't removed at the time of your surgery can continue to grow post-op. Taking estrogen alone can feed any remaining endometriosis so for that reason, many doctors want patients to wait a while before starting on hormone therapy to give the endometriosis time to die off. If estrogen is prescribed, often progesterone is prescribed along with it because progesterone can counteract the effect of estrogen on endometriosis. Hopefully your doctor is aware of all of this and is knowledgeable about prescribing the hormones which will help with your symptoms and minimize the risk of endometriosis becoming a post-op problem.

There's lots of good information to browse in the Hormone Jungle Articles to help with your decision. Unfortunately, hormone therapy isn't a one size fits all deal so what works well for some may not work well for others. It's largely a trial and error process to figure it all out but we'll be here to help you on that journey.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow! Let us know what the doctor has to say, okay?

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Re: Where to start???

Thank you. I was very lucky that at my surgery there was no leftover endo found so I am clear! Hurray! Hopefully that will mean I can start on estrogen only and add if needed. Thanks again, and I will post any info I get at the dr's office.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register