I don't know what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't know what to expect I don't know what to expect

Unread 08-20-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't know what to expect

I am just over 3 weeks post op. Had a TAH/BSO. I had not gone through menopause prior to surgery. I don't really know what all to expect. I have been having some insomnia, (wake up at 3:30-4:00 and stay up), an occasional nightsweat, and a few times when the least little thing brought me to tears. Nothing that has been too bothersome. My GYN/ONC does not automatically put his patients on HRT. He says if I feel at some point that I can not handle it anymore we would discuss options. I agree that with some of the risks, cancer, bloodclots etc. I prefer to opt out of HRT. I just don't know what all to expect. I hear about vaginal dryness and thinning of the vaginal walls, hair falling out and not growing back, no sexual desire..... These seem to me to be some serious things. Are these common or rare things? Is there anything natural I can take or do that doesn't have all the risks? I'm kinda scared and confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Re: I don't know what to expect

I had hot flashes and insomnia. Women do not get all of these symptoms that are listed, not but maybe one or two that are really a problem. There could be 34 symptoms of menopause. Some people don't get much of anything and we don't hear from them, we hear from people who are having some issues. You may not have much of a problem and some times over time these things work out. The body needs time to heal and balance out.

If you don't want hormones then what helps to start with is taking a good multivitamin, calcium with D, fish oi, vit E. I have found also that a very healthy diet, much like the Mediterranean diet to help. Caffiene, spicy foods, sugar, and alcohol seem to make hot flashes and insomnia a whole lot worse. Exercise several times a week like brisk walking for 30 min. at a time is very helpful for sleep and stress.

You can go to our Resources Link Library and there is a section on No Hormones to research to see alternative options.

I would definitely go back to see the doctor if you are miserable with hot flashes and sleeping. Sometimes just for a short time you might need a low dose of hormone to get you through. I have found that over the years these symptoms have become much less of a problem. I did take HRT for a few years and recommend it if it is affecting your quality of life. I am now taking something for dryness called Vagifem which is great.

Hang in there

Unread 08-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Re: I don't know what to expect

Thank you suzyQ23....you have eased my mind a bit. I will definitely begin by purchasing the vitamins and supplements you mentioned. And if needed I will keep that Vagifem in mind. I never really thought much past the surgery part and just healing....but there is so much more to think about. Thank you and hystersisters for somewhere to go to for help!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register