Going back to school. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school. Going back to school.

Unread 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Going back to school.

Hi I am a little worried regarding all the posts on here about recovery. I have elected to have the hysterectomy because I have anemia caused by heavy periods, they tried to do a D&C and hysterscopy but my cervix will not open. There is no other options out there for someone who has a cervix that will not open. I am finishing my college degree this semester and it starts 4 days after I have surgery. I have spoken to the school and they have advised me to email my perspective professors and let them know that I will be out the first week and will return the second week. Does anyone think this is doable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Re: Going back to school.

What type of hysterectomy are you having? Honestly, I had a TVH and even though I didn't have an incision, I would have been too tired to go back to school that soon.

You will have post-op restrictions that your doctor will give you and not being able to drive for a while will probably be one of them. I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks, however, after a very, very short drive at that point, I was very sore and waited another week before driving again.

I don't know what you will have to carry to your classes, but you will probably also have lifting restrictions. I wasn't allowed to lift more than 5 pounds for the first 6 weeks. Also, sitting for too long was also a little uncomfortable for me during those first couple of weeks of recovery.

I hope everything works out for you!

Deb
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM

My first classes where this week and I am 3 weeks post-op today. My instructors were all great and I actually attended classes this week via SKYPE. The professors said if I need to attend via SKYPE again this coming week that it will be fine.

I had a LAVH which is a little less invasive, so I am going to try to attend my classes next week.

Best wishes with your recovery and continued healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM

I too am a full-time college student and I start back to class on 8/23 and I am scheduled for my TLH on 8/24. I spoke with my advisor and she also suggested that I e-mail my professors to give them a heads up as to why I won't be in class. I am hoping that I feel up to going back to class on 8/30, but I gave myself til the following Monday. I was told that if it has to be done now it's better to miss the 1st two weeks of class then in the middle. Most of my professors have been very understanding (i guess since they are women) and have e-mailed me my syllabii and the assignments that will be due for those 1st two weeks.

Best of luck with your surgery, and make sure that you are in contact with your professors as soon as possible and let them know.
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM

I started going to my school's teacher inservices 2 weeks and 5 days after my TVH. I was very tired after the first day, but I got better each day afterward. I was in good physical health, however, when I had my surgery. It really depends on you - and your professors.

It would be great if you could arrange to Skype your lectures for as long as possible. I do hope you don't have labs where you'll have to stand or sit on stools without back support for long periods. That may be a problem. But keep in touch with your profs. I'm sure they'll work something out with you.

Please make sure you don't push yourself whatsoever. I noticed that when I did that, it took twice as long to recover from it.
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Be very careful about carrying books too. I manage a college bookstore. School got out on the 8th of May. I had my TVH on May 20th. I didn't go back to work, even to do desk work until June 18th and then it was "stay as long as you can but we understand if you get tired or hurt and need to go home".

My Dr. was very strict with me that she did not want me lifting anything heavier than my purse. Home this helps and good luck to you. If I were you, I'd skype the classes for as long as I could.

Cindy in Alabama
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM

I would not have been able to go back that soon. I could not even drive until over 2 weeks. You will have to find another way to carry books also. Just let them know what is going on & hopefully you can catch up. Maybe you can do some of it online? Best wishes!
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM

I thought about the books too because for several of my classes I have multiple books and others are just plain old heavy. I got one of those crates from the home store and put all of my books, binders, notebooks in there in the trunk of the car. This way I don't have to bend to get them. I also got a really nice rolling backpack and I plan on putting only the books and supplies that I need for my particular class in my bag so that it's not too heavy. I have mapped out the parking so that I don't have too far to walk to each class, and I will be taking the elevators for the 1st few weeks until my strenth returns. I have plotted and planned this for a few weeks now and I think that I can do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register