adenocarcenoma in situ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenocarcenoma in situ adenocarcenoma in situ

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
adenocarcenoma in situ

Can someone explain why this stuff is so bad? I went for three opinions so far and everyone said hysterectomy. What the heck? It isn't even cancer! Does anyone know of another procedure? I am 53 so no more kids for me. That isn't the point. If I don't work-even for a week I lose money. We can put a man on the moon but not tell if there is disease remaining? I had a huge cone w/negative margins-all uterine tissue was benigin (thanks G-d). But apparantly that doesn't matter-there can still be residual disease. With no way to detect it in the year 2010. Something is worng here folks! So there is my rant. Anyone go through this? Anyone know other options? Amila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Re: adenocarcenoma in situ

It's bad because in a high percentage of cases it will eventually progress to cancer and it is far easier to cure it at the in situ stage than it is at a later stage.
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM

My humble opinion . Go hysterectomy !! Wish I had done it when I only had hyperplasia without atypia. There was NO cancer at that time . 3 yrs later BINGO !! Cancer reared its ugly stupid head. Thank Goodness it was in early stage. But there is still that little bit of worry that nags you in the dead of night when insomnia rears its ugly head !! Good luck !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Unfortunately, even with clear margins, tiny cells can be left behind. Adeno of the cervix is an "aggressive" type and tends to progress more quickly than the squamos (sp?) cell type. A hyster at this point will mean no further treatments needed.

Putting it off means taking a risk of of possibly having to undergo radiation with a chemo booster. Trust me, its no fun. After surgery I was feeling pretty darn good at around the 3 week post-op mark. Treatments knocked me on my butt and have a number of side effects-both short and long term.

Are you willing to risk your life for your pay check? Is your job worth that much? That's the big question here. You aren't dealing with a minor virus, you are looking at the potential for invasive cancer. As they say, your employer can replace you. Your loved ones can not.

**This is just my opinion. I will respect and support what ever decision you make because ultimately only YOU know your body and your circumstances. I had the mindset of "this isn't really cancer", put off surgery for a month, and ended up going through a great deal more than I needed to. I would hate to see someone else make that same mistake. :-)
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM

amila -

Unfortunately cone biopsies only test a section and there is a possibility of that the cancer is beyond the margins. The only way to be certain is hysterectomy.

From what I read adenocarcinoma in situ is cancer not pre-cancer. Here is a link from our cervical cancer resources that explain the staging of cervical cancer, plus other information like treatments.

http://www.cancer.net/patient/Cancer...nTitle=Staging

Sorry you had to join the club.

G.
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM

(((Amila)))

Adenocarcinoma in situ is just what is says: Adenocarcinoma is a malignant tumor arising from glandular cells. In situ means in place/localized. Since adenocarcinoma involves glandular cells, it could "hide" and be easily missed in follow-ups. Most cervical cancers are squamous cell which arise from surface cells and are easier to identify. Adenocarcinoma can also "skip" to distant areas whereas squamous cell types usually do not behave that way. So, you could possibly have a distant recurrence in your lungs, liver, brain . . .

The good news is that you have caught things very early and surgery will likely be your "only" treatment. You didn't mention if any of your opinions were gyn/oncs (gynecological oncologists). They are the experts, and we strongly recommend them for gyn cancer/pre-cancers. After all, you want the best for your health.

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register