TAH/BSO - Surprise! Surprise! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - Surprise! Surprise! TAH/BSO - Surprise! Surprise!

Unread 10-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Surprise! Surprise!

I woke up about 1030pm on a wed. with severe pain on my right side and lower back. Husband had been sick with stomach flu so thought maybe thats it but I knew deep down it wasn't. Packed up the kids, called my Mom who lives in the town the hospital is in and off we went. Pain was getting worse and I was sick to my stomach. I was trying to stay calm because the boys looked a little freaked.
After urine tests and catscan and sonogram they decided that I had a mass on one of my ovaries. They had originally thought I had kidney stones. I was admitted .Because it took so long(about 31/2 hours)to figure out the problem and they didn't want to drug me up too much(I was like......oh and why not??)in the emergency room, I was delighted to be admitted and they gave me my own drug machine!
It was a rough day. Surgery was so booked that I couldn't have surgery til friday morning. The surgeon and my doctor had come in and explained that I had a baseball size cyst on my right ovary and they could only guess that the cyst was probably "twisted up" and that was causing my extreme pain and vomiting. They weren't sure what they would find and a hysterectomy was probably going to happen. I'm 34 yrs old, married and have 2 boys. So it wasn't a hard decision for me to make.....lets do it.
Friday AM came and I was nervous. Ok, scared to death. My poor husband hadn't had much sleep and he had to get the kids to school and then drive 30 min to the hospital and they took me up to surgery before he got there. My nurse introduced herself and asked if I needed anything.....I asked her to find my husband and she did!! All I could do then is stare at him with tears fallen all over. I calmed down a bit then it was time. I remember things moving fast, I felt like I was gonna puke and the room was freezing! My nurse said there was no reason why I had to lay there nervous and puking(she was a little irritated because the doctor hadn't even scrubbed up yet....)so she called in the anthesiologist and thats all she wrote!
I woke up in alot of pain. Finally made it to my room, I was lucky enough to have a private room. After my surgery, the surgeon had gone to talk to my husband and Mom and motherinlaw and said what is usually a 45min procedure turned into 1hour and 45min because the cyst had started to die and was leaking a fluid.....he didn't give the fluid a name....he said it was twisted into everything and then the pathologist said my appendix needed to come out also because it was damaged too.
I was in the castle a total of 5 days and everything went pretty well. I've been home 4 weeks now and the healing process is slow but steady. I'm on premarin and it seems to be doing its job.
Finding this website has been a blessing for me. I know I didn't have to go through the stress of waiting for the big day which I am thankful for. But, afterwards, I had so many questions and concerns when I came home. The site has been very informative and the women here are so supportive and kind. We all have so many different situations but can still come together and support one another, its wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register