Oestradiol?? Natural Progesterone creams | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oestradiol??  Natural Progesterone creams Oestradiol?? Natural Progesterone creams

Unread 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Oestradiol?? Natural Progesterone creams

I am totally confused... I had a subtotal hysterectomy beginning of July this year, and also my ovaries removed. I thought perhaps I was in my menopause or moving towards it when I had the op... dont know what my hormone levels were, but now, almost 2 months on, I feel dreadful and realise I was actually coasting quite well still not in the menopause.

No-one discussed HRT, and I was adamant that I didnt want to take it, having not taken the pill throughout my life, other than the mini pill for a short while after my first pregnancy, mainly because I dont like the idea of messing around with hormones, weight gain etc etc.

Basically, I have been suffering around 15 hot flashes a day, since a couple of days after the op, and they are waking me at night and I am very stressed and emotional. The stress, I hasten to add is exaserbated by other areas of my life (work etc) and I feel like my head is exploding, I cant take any more. I dont seem to have put on much weight since my op, my waist is thicker, but I think this will improve with exercise (fingers crossed), and recovery from the op was excellent. Its all the hormone related stuff now!

The Gynaecologist has suggested that I need help with HRT and has suggested Oestradiol (1mg) or a 50mg patch. I will be seing my doc next week to decide what to do and I am panicking about it. After all the reading I have done, I was thinking perhaps the Natural progesterone cream was the answer... I dont want anything too evasive or animal derived whatever I have to take... I am scared and dont feel I could cope if I started taking something that gave me any more side effects/complications than I already have in my life, I just want to feel normal again and get on with my life. There seem to be such good reports about the natural progesterone cream but I wondered if I am totally confused now... would it help me? Anyone in the same position - would be good to talk.

PS I still have my cervix and I am 52.

Any support would be most welcome xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Re: Oestradiol?? Natural Progesterone creams

Hello!

Hormones can be confusing but I hope information on this site plus the shared experiences of members will help you.

Oestradiol, or estradiol as it's called here in the States, is bio-identical estrogen so if that's your preference, your doctor has recommended one that is plant derived.

Were you diagnosed with endometriosis? Usually it's recommended to start out on estrogen only but if you are dealing with endometriosis, that would be a good reason to also use progesterone, as it can help counteract the effect that estrogen could have on any remaining endometriosis.

I can't imagine trying to manage surgical menopause on progesterone only. Usually those of us in surgical menopause need estrogen and add in progesterone and/or testosterone to balance.

There are good articles in this link to read that may help you have a good discussion with your doctor: Hormone Jungle Articles.

Let us know what you decide, okay?

Unread 08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Unhappy - Oestradiol??  Natural Progesterone creams Re: Oestradiol?? Natural Progesterone creams

Hi April, thanks for your input, I had really bad periods which were so heavy for days and days before I had an op which lazered the lining of the uterus, so my periods stopped completely in 2004. However, I continued to have pain for the next three years, and they discovered that some of the lining had started to regenerate itself and had been bleeding and collecting in the uterus for several years, so I had the op again. Never had any bleeding externally in all that time.

My hysterectomy included the removal of a huge fibroid plus several others which had filled my uterus making it very enlarged... but I dont understand how you can still get bleeding if you have had everything taken away... how does that work??

I was almost positive I had read comments from other sisters who had been using the progesterone cream on its own... I guess that is why I am feeling so confused.. I cant even remember exactly where I read it now, have spent so much time reading up on different web sites about it all. Have also sent for Dr Lee's book "What the Doctor didnt tell you about the Menopause"....

I will have a good read from the link you sent me - there appear to be some very good subjects there, thank you so much. I will of course let you know how I get on but I guess its going to take some time to feel any difference once I start taking whatever my doctor prescribes.

Best wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register