Pre-Op Appt today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Appt today Pre-Op Appt today

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Pre-Op Appt today

Had my pre-op (or rather my pre- pre-op, I see my doctor on Monday as well). The only thing that bummed me out, well, actually 3 things:

1. After ALL of my research, notes, and charts, and questions, I didn't get to ask a single one (except about stool softeners a couple days prior...YAYAY! can take them)

2. The chick drawing my blood was a STUDENT. I'm glad I'm a patient person (that and an ativan) because it took forever! She found the vein, but the blood didn't flow unless she pulled on the skin. Whatever.

3. This is so danged embarrassing, but solidified my resolve to ask the doctor about this. When I went to give the urine sample, I peed a little first, then you stop the flow, insert cup under, continue peeing. OK here's how it went for me: wipe, pee a little, oh holy crap TRIED to stop peeing, peed on my hand, the outside of the cup, and finally INSIDE the cup, removed cup, but couldn't stop the flow, so peed on my hand AGAIN! yup, gotta talk to the doc about that.

I didn't get anything about doing a bowel prep, probably will on monday though. Hopefully will get to bombard my doctor with all of my carefully compiled lists!

Something a little disconcerting, the nurse said the procedure is set up to be an LAVH (umm, no, I'm not doing that) with possible removal of tubes and ovaries.....YIKES! I shot up in my chair and asked if that is just for an emergency--covering all the bases. She said yes, but that little tidbit is going on my list!

The appointment took about 35 minutes. Blood, EKG, embarrassing urine sample, and questionnaire, paperwork for and advanced directive. Easy Peasy

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Re: Pre-Op Appt today

Good luck! You will do fine. I am 6 weeks out now, and it's the best choice I made. I done the bowel prep. I have to say the lemon flavor was nasty. The cherry was pretty good. haha
Unread 08-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Hi sheriff35,

I am having the LAVH myself. My doctor chose that procedure because it is less evasive and the recovery time is shorter than a TAH. She also gave me some information to read more about the procedure. I also watched the procedure being performed on YouTube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I'm not sure why everyone sweats the bowel prep. The actual WORSE WORSE part of it was drinking that horrible stuff. I've had to do them before, so maybe that's why. Now, if I had to do the enema, I might cry ;-)

Doing my research, I've found that I'm not a good candidate for either the LAVH, or the TVH. I didn't have babies come out that end, and my c-section scar tissue may be too dense, so why risk starting one way and end up going the other? I'm old fashioned, and I come complete with a bikini line scar anyways.

Plus, my doctor mentioned the LAVH as a second option, she didn't automatically say let's do it this way, she was all about the TAH. Either that night or the next day, she mentioned a "new technique that we could do" and to ME that sounds like "hey i would like to practice on you with this nifty camera thingy" so no dice.

Becky
Unread 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM

I truly understand. I definitely wouldn't want my physician taking chances when there is a solution right in front of them. It seems as those the TAH would be the best option.

I am a bit nervous myself. I have four children but I never had to be cut vaginally. I am more concerned about the pain and incision care "down below". I had a tubal ligation in 2004 so the small abdominal incisions aren't a concern to me.

Best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register