Scheduled TLH in panic mode | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

in panic mode in panic mode

Unread 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM
in panic mode

I'm having surgery on 9/1 the panic has set in!!!
My worries are pain control, I want to have a PCA I don't want to be at the mercy of a poor nurse who has too many patients.
Also I am a HORRIBLE IV stick..... my veins just suck so I am terrified they will have issues starting an IV. I also puke non stop after anesthesia so there is another worry. I have been having nightmares when I DO manage to sleep...........not getting much due to worrying!!!!
Oh sad to say I'm a nurse so I feel even more like a wuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Re: in panic mode

I have been feeling some of the same feelings....I have been working on accepting that no amount of worrying or stress is going to change the outcome and just trying to have faith in my caregivers to get me through this! Lots of deep breaths...reaching out to friends and giving myself little pep talks is helping! Good luck to you!
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:16 PM

First of, take a deep breath. I've been hitting panic mode on and off for about a week. I posted about almost the same stuff a while back. I work in a hospital (not a nurse, but still have worked there long enough to learn things) which, you being a nurse, and me working at a hospital makes things worse cause then we tend to "know too much".

Have you had your preop appt. yet? If not, make sure your doctor is aware about you wanting the pain pump. Mine told me I would have it. Sounds pretty standard for my type of surgery which is TAH/BSO. If you've already had your appointment, talk to the anesthesiologist when you meet with them the day of surgery - there may be something they can do.

My veins are HORRIBLE as well. They use the smallest bore catheter they can. Mine are about the size of the lead on a pencil tip (seriously) and they can't use my arm veins any longer cause those IV sites used too often have scar tissue now. I've been told that they will try once or twice and, if they can't get it, they will take me to the OR and the doctor will do it there (I'd better be asleep somehow).

Scalpomine (SP?) patch behind your ear. My Mom had her hysterectomy the end of May and seriously is as sick as you and me and they put this patch behind her ear and she wore it the whole time she was in the hospital and never once threw up or felt nausea. Maybe it's scolpomine (SP?). Ask for it, I'm going to make them put one on me (I work at the hospital where my surgery is at and have the advantage of already telling the friends of mine in preop, surgery hold, postop how I am and they are READY for me).

I've told everyone I'm a wimp when it comes to pain so be prepared. I'm scheduled the day before you, 8/31.

I'm trying to stay focused on work this weekend and getting my apartment ready for when I move back home from staying with my parents and packing. I hope you manage to get some sleep and de-stress some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM

You'll do just fine. I too worried before surgery, but I was just fine. They will take good care of you. In the past I never had a problem with puking from the meds they give you in there. I did puke a couple times with my hysterectomy. I didn't like it, but it didn't last. They gave me nausea medicine to help. Good luck, you'll do great.
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm very uneasy too...my surgery is the day after yours. I kinda just want to ask if this is really necessary, but I know the doctor would not have said hysterectomy if it wasn't necessary. I have three large fibroids, back pain, abdominal pain and constipation from it all. I just can't help being scared about the surgery and the pain of recovery. I need help with this...
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:17 AM

I am almost 4 weeks out from having a TAH and BSO. I was nervous before my surgery too. I can tell you everyone was wonderful in my hospital stay. I too am a hard stick for IVs and blood draws. The IV staff was very good. The first IV was the first stick. I had a PCA pump and it was a lot of help for the first 2 days. I don't know what kind of hysterectomy you are having, but I am sure they will keep you as pain free as possible. My nurses were wonderful about getting me my medicine when I requested it after I was off the PCA pump. I also have gotten sick from anesthia before. I told the anesthiasologist this and he made sure to give me medicine in my IV for that and I never got sick after the surgery. Please try to not get too stressed about the surgery and hospital stay. Have faith in your surgeon and all of the other professionals. I am sending positive thoughts your way.
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Thanks KRPdreams!
It really helps to hear about other who have already crossed over! I am having abdominal hysterectomy...partial...keeping ovaries, tubes and cervix to prevent going full head on into menopause. I've never had a surgery. Birthed two children vaginally and everything was "A-OK"...i hate pain and i wish that there was a definite about what i will experience on the other side. Some people have such horror stories and i don"t want to be disappointed in the end. Thanks again your reply really does help...really!
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi Ladies, I am sorry to hear that you are fearing your surgeries. Try to remember that there is a reason you are going through this. I am almost 4 weeks out from TAH and it truly has not been as bad as I expected. Admittedly, I am pretty good with pain, but the important thing is to communicate with your anesthesiologist and nurses so that they can help you manage your pain and nausea. If I could give you any advice, it would be to start moving as soon as you are able to. Get up and walk, even if it's just up and down the hall because the sooner you get those bowels moving and start passing the gas buildup, your pain will be less. You are strong women! You can do this!
Unread 08-30-2010, 02:34 AM

I'm 7 days post op and I understand your anxiety. But, just take a deep breath and know you will get through this just fine and even better than you expected. I recommend what others have said, tell your dr. and your anesthesiologist your concerns about pain and nausea. I told mine I had only had one bad nausea experience from anesthesia and he said we'll still deal with this aggressively. I take that to mean he gave me meds in the iv to deal with it AND I wasn't able to eat anything afterward for the next day which was okay because I was on the pain pump and just slept off and on the first 2 days. I did get up and down and walk as much as I could as soon as they took away the IV, oxygen, pain pump, and catheter and drank lots of water. I've been very pleased with the level of pain thus far. My main concern right now is afraid I feel too good and will do too much.
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

For your veins, it'll be better if you go in well hydrated. So remember to force the fluids right up to when you need to stop them, midnight or whenever. They did use a local lidocaine for my IV start so it didn't hurt. Do tell them you're a hard stick, want a PCA, and get nausea, and they will try to fix it all. I was a shaking, terrified mesS, myself, but it all was so much easier than I expected. And although I didn't have a PCA pump, I had nurses who immediately gave me meds I needed and anti nausea meds. The scopolamine patch sounds good to ask about, I didn't have one but the IV meds work, too. Really I got very good care and everyone tried hard to help me. I hope your experience is good as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register