Strange Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Strange Question Strange Question

Unread 08-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Strange Question

What happens to the space where your organs once were? Does the space fill with fluid, tissue, scar tissue? Am 6 mos post-op from TAH/RSO with previous LSO still having major pain in area where R-ovary was. Having Laproscoopic surg on Friday to try and find the cause. Just wondered what actually fills the now empty place???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Re: Starnge Question

I heard that your intestines fall down into it but I could be completely wrong.
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Is there a nurse/doctor out there that could advise? I was wondering the same thing (I have to tell you - "your intestines fall down into it" is a little disconcerting, hopefully that's wrong!!!)
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM

Fluid should not fill the space. If there is fluid filling in the area, there is something wrong.

In all actuality, the organs that are removed are not normally big at all--yes some can have enlarged organs and cysts can be huge. A normal uterus is the size of woman's fist. Ovaries should be about the size of a walnut. So, everything shifts around a bit and relaxes and fills in the space. Our intestines are very long and squished up so they can easily help fill the space without affecting much of anything!

Hopefully the surgery will turn up some answers for you. You could have adhesions in the area from your prior surgeries. Has anyone suggested Ovarian Remnant Syndrome (ORS)? This can occur when a tiny bit of ovary gets missed (which is easier than we would think) and it can grow and produce hormones and cysts. I am assuming your appendix and gallbladder have been checked? What about a possible hernia?

in there and best wishes for the surgery!

Unread 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM

I've had a CT with contrast. 3 docs do not believe it is hernia, gall bladder or appendix. My GYN feels certain she got everything during my TAH/RSO. The pain feels very similar to ovarian cyst pain, but nothing was seen on either the ultrasound or CT and the pain has been continual since before surgery, this isn't new just worse. The surgeon is hoping to find a hernia deeper than he can palpate as that would be the easiest to fix. He said it's most likely adhesions give I've had 3 open abdominal surgical procedures over 9 years. But he just isn't sure because, CT was clear and nothing can be palpated. The pain is constant and gets worse positionally. If I lay on either side, it feels like the area affected is being pulled with gravity. Standing or lying on tummy are the easiest positions, but walking and bending over worsens the pain, The worst pain comes just from sitting up straight, because it feels like my entire right pelvic region is being crushed.
Imagine putting a billiards ball on your abdomen and then bending over. The weight, and pressure reminds me of that. Then throughout the day the whole right side becomes inflamed. Tylenol and ibuprofen do little if nothing for the pain and stronger pain meds just put me to sleep.
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Re: Strange Question

Gosh that sounds really uncomfortable. I hope that the surgery finds something easy to fix on Friday.
My doc told me that the intestines relaxed a bit as well. As I was expecting a great big hole! LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register