How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT? How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

Unread 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

I am 27 and need to have my ovaries out. My doctor warned me surgical menopause could be very rough. I know it is different for everyone but what does he mean by hard? Has anyone been this young and had to go on hormone replacement? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Re: How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

I am not as young as you are but still young. October of 2009 I had my last gyne surgery. I had many leading up to this one. My last ovary was taken out and the remainders of what was left from another surgeon also was removed. This put me into surgical menopause. I decided after the surgery to NOT take anything. I did some research, found good and bad things about HRT and decided I would try it without. After all, I am young and should be able to handle what I thought would be just hotflashes/night sweats and some mood swings. Yeah right. The hotflashes and nightsweats I have under control. Fan beside the bed and airconditioning running. During the day they aren't so bad but when I do have one I just fan myself or stand near a fan. Everyone knows that I am menopausal and when my face goes beet red and I look like i'm about to pass out they have finally stopped asking if I'm ok and just let me get through it.
I am going to be totally honest with you. What has me down and out is the following: mood swings (so bad I thought for awhile that my husband and son were going to leave me), crying (***??) over everything, I would cry at something and then turn around and tell you off (evil was an understatement). My moods were getting so bad it was effecting my work and everyday life. Fatigue. OMG!! I sleep 10-12hrs, get up, do a few things and then lay down for a nap. Weight gain. Oh yeah. Because I have no energy to do anything and no motivation. I have an I don't give a crap attitude. The aches and pains also are unbearable. I hurt constantly from the hips down. Standing from sitting is extremely painful for me and I bend over like an old lady. I feel like im 100 with a brain of a 35 yr old. Oh, and not to forget the brain. I forget EVERYTHING unless it is written down, I can't find words in mid sentence and that makes you look like a total retard. I'm sorry that I have been so blunt and open with you but I feel that younger women need to know exactly what they are in for. This is not your mom's menopause. Most women get a transition period of 5-10years. We get nothing. We are slammed against a wall going 150mph with no seatbelt and nobody prepares us.
I have been through alot but I have to say this is the worst I have felt in all my years. My pcp thinks I'm making it up and tried to prescribe anti-depressants cause he feels that it is in my head. I finally gave up on him and went to the gyne again. He prescribed me the Vivelle Dot patch. I am currently on day 2 of this patch and hope that it helps me. I do feel a bit better as far as my mood goes. Had a few hotflashes before getting out of bed but nothing unbearable or unmanageable. We will see how it works over the next couple of months. My dr said this would only be a short lived thing. He doesn't want me on it forever because of the potential risks but he would keep me on it long enough to get me through these rough spots I'm dealing with. Sorry this post was so long and I hope I didn't scare you too much.
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Re: How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

No, Please don't worry I rather know the tuth. I am sorry to hear it was so rough for you.Thank you very much for your honesty. I much prefer to be prepared.

That is what scares me a bit. I have a rare disease that leaves me in so much pain and so fatigued I am practically home bound and I can't imagine more on top of that. I may not have a choice though because there is a chance mmy endometrial cancer has spread.

The doctor said surgical menopause could be rough in young people so that is what prompted me to ask.

Thank you so much for your response and I hope the patc h starts to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM

I'm 29 and am going through surgical menopause. I started out on the vivelle dot 0.1 It wasn't strong enough for me. I was having hot flashes and night sweats. I also had horrible insomnia. I called my doctor and he said that I needed something stronger and he prescribed estradiol 2 my tablets. I have been on them for a month and I feel great. I feel like I did before surgery. Only now I don't hurt. I do still have some insomnia but I just take a sleeping pill and I'm fine. Hopefully this helps you.
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

I was 34 when I had my surgery. I started on estradiol the next day 1mg. I thought that was all I needed. I did not know ahead of time that this would be happening (I was having surgery for another reason) So, it was a surprise to wake up and find that I was in menopause. The next six months were the hardest of my life. It was not the hot flashes, it was the feeling of insanity creeping around inside of me... the anxiety, the crabby crabby person I became.
I don't think the risks of HRT are that high and I am willing to risk it so I don't go back to that.
Currently I am on the vivelle patch .075. I really enjoy the consistent steady dose of the patch. Would not want to live without it.
So, yes it is rough, but there is so much out there to help. Decide ahead of time with your Dr. What you will do for HRT before the surgery. I would start at the Max. dose of a patch and work down if it was me....
Hang in there. We are all cheering for you.
Lemon
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Sweety I was exactly your age when I had a Total Hyst. the tender age of 27!

The next day literally after my surgery my hot flashes started, my doc. prescribed HRT estratest and I was a new woman !!

I know there are risks but feeling like yourself is the best thing in the world!!

I am now 37 and have been on HRT for 10 years!! do some research and talk with your doc. about the risk and your condition.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Unread 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushiegrl1 View Post
No, Please don't worry I rather know the tuth. I am sorry to hear it was so rough for you.Thank you very much for your honesty. I much prefer to be prepared.

That is what scares me a bit. I have a rare disease that leaves me in so much pain and so fatigued I am practically home bound and I can't imagine more on top of that. I may not have a choice though because there is a chance mmy endometrial cancer has spread.

The doctor said surgical menopause could be rough in young people so that is what prompted me to ask.

Thank you so much for your response and I hope the patc h starts to help.
As the other gals of stated, it can be very difficult. I was 38 and it was extremely difficult and I still struggle at times. You mentioned endometrial cancer so there is a good chance you will not be allowed to take HRT. This is something you should really discuss in detail with your doctor before surgery. I pray your cancer has not spread and everything goes well. HRT helps a bunch, but with your age, you are probably still going to have symptoms with or without HRT. However, it is very possible to get through it with a positive attitude and the help of the good ladies on this forum.

You may also want to look at the No ovaries/No HRT thread on this website. There are many ladies there who either choose not to take HRT or can not take it due to cancer diagnosis and/or risk. There is a lot of support there also. Best wishes!
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

I was 28 when I had mine. I can say that there are certain days I wish I'd never done it, and others when I wouldn't change it for the world. Most of the time, when I remember what it was like pre-hyst, I'm glad I had the procedure done. I have less pain now, and my moods are more identifiable. I can feel a low est. day and know that if I'm moody or teary-eyed, that's why. Pre-hyst my hormones were all over the place and I never knew what was me over-reacting and what was truely justified. :-)

The most important thing I can tell you is to make sure you have a post-hyst doctor that will listen to you! Most doctors I've seen go at ERT & HRT based upon their training for the "normal" menopausal woman. It took a while for me to find a doctor that would listen to the fact that I need more estrogen than a 55 year old woman, that being stressed uses more estro., that being thin means you need more, etc. Pharm. cos. publish general guidelines and you MUST find a doctor that is okay varying from those guidelines.

I wish you the best of luck! There are still times when I know things are off, but I just try to remember those days of laying in bed on the verge of tears because I hurt so badly, and this is a piece of cake!
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoals View Post
I am not as young as you are but still young. October of 2009 I had my last gyne surgery. I had many leading up to this one. My last ovary was taken out and the remainders of what was left from another surgeon also was removed. This put me into surgical menopause. I decided after the surgery to NOT take anything. I did some research, found good and bad things about HRT and decided I would try it without. After all, I am young and should be able to handle what I thought would be just hotflashes/night sweats and some mood swings. Yeah right. The hotflashes and nightsweats I have under control. Fan beside the bed and airconditioning running. During the day they aren't so bad but when I do have one I just fan myself or stand near a fan. Everyone knows that I am menopausal and when my face goes beet red and I look like i'm about to pass out they have finally stopped asking if I'm ok and just let me get through it.
I am going to be totally honest with you. What has me down and out is the following: mood swings (so bad I thought for awhile that my husband and son were going to leave me), crying (***??) over everything, I would cry at something and then turn around and tell you off (evil was an understatement). My moods were getting so bad it was effecting my work and everyday life. Fatigue. OMG!! I sleep 10-12hrs, get up, do a few things and then lay down for a nap. Weight gain. Oh yeah. Because I have no energy to do anything and no motivation. I have an I don't give a crap attitude. The aches and pains also are unbearable. I hurt constantly from the hips down. Standing from sitting is extremely painful for me and I bend over like an old lady. I feel like im 100 with a brain of a 35 yr old. Oh, and not to forget the brain. I forget EVERYTHING unless it is written down, I can't find words in mid sentence and that makes you look like a total retard. I'm sorry that I have been so blunt and open with you but I feel that younger women need to know exactly what they are in for. This is not your mom's menopause. Most women get a transition period of 5-10years. We get nothing. We are slammed against a wall going 150mph with no seatbelt and nobody prepares us.
I have been through alot but I have to say this is the worst I have felt in all my years. My pcp thinks I'm making it up and tried to prescribe anti-depressants cause he feels that it is in my head. I finally gave up on him and went to the gyne again. He prescribed me the Vivelle Dot patch. I am currently on day 2 of this patch and hope that it helps me. I do feel a bit better as far as my mood goes. Had a few hotflashes before getting out of bed but nothing unbearable or unmanageable. We will see how it works over the next couple of months. My dr said this would only be a short lived thing. He doesn't want me on it forever because of the potential risks but he would keep me on it long enough to get me through these rough spots I'm dealing with. Sorry this post was so long and I hope I didn't scare you too much.
Endoals,

You described that to a "T".....what you described is EXACTLY what I have been going through since my surgery 10 weeks ago.

I hope we both feel better soon.

Lynda
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:28 AM

I was 26 when I had my total hysterectomy, and I am 40 now. I have been on many many different prescriptions through the years trying to balance myself out. But I feel good now. My one suggestion would be to have your hormone levels tested before you have the surgery so you have something to compare to afterwards. My dr didnt do that for me. I have since been on compounded HRT, and feel good. My sex drive still low.....hoping that my dr will adjust the testosterone to help that some. For all of the aches and pains everyone is speaking of, I know that Vitamin D supplement has helped me with that. Good luck......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register