How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT? How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

Unread 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Re: How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
My one suggestion would be to have your hormone levels tested before you have the surgery so you have something to compare to afterwards.
In theory that may sound like a good idea, but the reality is that those tests are not really going to do you much good once the ovaries are removed. Your needs can be much different after surgery. And for many of us, hormone imbalance is what led to female problems anyways. I certainly would not want to mimic the ups and downs I had pre surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Re: How bad is surgical menopause and has anyone as young as me ever been on HRT?

I was 28 when I went into medical menopause. The radiation doctor blames it on the chemo, the chemo doc (surgeon) blamed in on radiation, I personally feel my ovaries said "screw this" after surgery, rads, & chemo and stopped working because of the mix of treatments.

The night sweats & mood swings were the worst of it for me. I wasn't just having mood swings, I was feeling out-and-out rage for no reason. My doc did an FSH test to confirm my levels and started me on HRT immediately. My symptoms improved tremendously after that.
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi, I am preparing for an upcoming appointment and reading thru your experiences. Thank you for posting. My question is this: who prescribes your hormones, your PCP, your Gyn, or your Gyno-Oncologist?

Also, and I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post, but do any Ladies have experiences with starting Zoloft preop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Hi Another Woman!

It doesn't matter so much which doctor prescribes hormones. What is important is that you find one who is knowledgeable about the hormone needs of someone in surgical menopause. My gynecologist prescribes mine but if he wasn't knowledgeable, I'd find another doctor.

You're welcome to use the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support message board as the place to start a new thread of your own to ask about any pre-op concerns you have. We'll look for you in that forum! Be sure to run your questions by your doctor, too.

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:59 PM

My gyne/onco prescribes my HRT. I no longer see a regular gyne and I was with my gyne/onco so much that it never occurred to me to call my PCP about it.
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:32 PM

I see my family doctor for my HRT meds. I don't know about zoloft, but I take adderall for ADHD and since I have been on the estrogen gel, my doc told me not to take the Adderall as then we wouldn't know if the estrogen was actually working. She said once we know the estrogen I'm taking is the right dosage for me, I can start back on the adderall.

Lynda
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM

I had my Hysterectomy 5-5-2009 @ the age of 30, I had a total abdominal. the only thing that I have is my Cervix. Yes it is rough, your emotions are out of this world. The doctor put me on the patch, but it kept falling off, so I switched to the pill which is a low dose. If I don't take it then you can see the difference in my moods and the way I feel alot of thoughts come across my mind about maybe I should not have did it or I know you have tried other options but did you see if there was something else that could have solved the problem besides the hysterectomy. But then reality sets in and says I have done the wright thing. I have no kids and I am hoping soon to adopt, but for now I will enjoy all of my loved ones children.
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:06 AM

I had a TAH/BSO exactly one month ago today. My hospital stay was traumatic and the first 3 days were the blackest I had experienced in all my life. Disturbing dreams, black moods, hot flashes....I don't know if it was the abrupt cut-off of my estrogen or the trauma of finding out I had endometrial cancer (no mets, stage 1a, grade 2). Given that I am 5 weeks post-op I can't say that I feel fully immersed in menopause. I had a couple of severe mood swings and some tears, but I mostly feel ok right now. I don't know if it will always be this way because I am obese and I know that fat cells hold estrogen. I do notice that I tend to get warm and a bit flushed at night but it's not like a complete meltdown...it's more feverish than anything. I don't know, I'm confused too....just thought I'd offer my thoughts because everyone is different. While I do mourn for the loss of my organs and wish I didn't have to go through menopause it's better than the alternative.
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:53 AM

I was 31 when I had my ovaries removed. I started HRT immediately because of my family history of heart disease and osteoporosis. It can be trying at times but even with all the bumps in the road it's still a whole heck of a lot better than living with what I was living with.
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Great to read these posts as they echo a lot of what I have been through since my surgery in july. "Disturbing dreams, black moods, hot flashes" as described above I can totally relate. I have always been prone to worry and have had bouts of depression in/after stressful life events BUT I have never ever experienced ANXIETY and ANGST like I have through this experience.

It is an awful feeling of dread and sadness that comes over me and I just want to sit and sob. I have pictured my parents dying and what would I do, what would it feel like (they are in their late 70s and doing well so logically there is no immenent need to worry). I had dreams that I stole something from my neighbour and it was so vivid that for about an hour or two after I woke up, I had a sense that "I had done something wrong" but didn't know what until something jogged my memory and I remembered it was only a dream...very weird. I generally don't even remember my dreams so this was a new one for me.

All of this has stopped now that I upped my meds, except on occasion ie" like my first day back to work I felt like I wanted to run away and hide somewhere...like I didn't fit into that world anymore and just wanted to go hide in my house away from everyone. This wasn't a 'depression" kind of feeling, as I know that feeling well from previous experience...it's more like feeling you are not really sure who you are anymore and need to figure that out before you can socialize again.

I NEVER really understood before how powerful hormones can be. I am glad I had the surgery and had my ovaries taken now because I have a sense that once I balance the hormones I'll be far less likely in future to get depressed in stressful life situations...just a gut feeling??!! Let's hope I'm right!

I'm off for a week of relaxation on a beach that should help! I look forward to checking in with you all on my return...hope everyone does something nice for themselves today!
Lynda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register