Dr won't check hormone levels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr won't check hormone levels? Dr won't check hormone levels?

Unread 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Dr won't check hormone levels?

Since my mood has been so lousy and I'm felling really beat, I went to Gyn to get hormones tested.
Well...seems policy is if you're post menopausal and had hysterectomy it doesn't matter.
I know those ovaries were doing something since it turns out I had 2 fibroids not one.
Is this normal or just my HMO's policy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Re: Dr won't check hormone levels?

Might just be your doctor's policy. While it's true a FSH test would be useless, there are other tests. My doctor does a test called a Women's Hormone Assessment which tests various hormones. Insurance covers it.

Why are you wanting to get your hormones tested? Are you having problems finding balance?

I would also like to add that the test result should not be the final determining factor in your hrt. Everyone is different and the test ranges are usually very broad. We all won't feel the same at a given level. I don't think hormone testing is that useful unless you are a year or more out from having the ovaries removed and having issues finding balance.

I found it more helpful during that first year post op to keep a journal and consult with my doctor and pharmacist about my symptoms. I also found in the beginning that I was looking for instant balance and that just wan't going to happen, so I did too much tweaking, delaying my finding balance.

That may be more than you wanted to know or were asking, but I hope it helps.

Unread 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Re: Dr won't check hormone levels?

If you are feeling out of sorts then by all means get those tests ran. I had my last ovary removed 10/09. It has been almost a year since and I have been dealing with surgical menopause ever since. Hot flashes and night sweats not so much a problem but I began feeling extreme fatigue, aches, pains and just not myself mentally. My pcp wanted to put me on anti-dep. No way. Wasn't doing that. So went to my gyne. Asked him about the symptoms. He ran bloodwork. Came back and confirmed what I already knew and that was I am menopausal. However, my estrogen was low and my fsh was high. (typical meno bloodwork results). When you put the low estrogen with the symptoms it all made sense. I spoke with his nurse and she got me on the vivelle dot patch. It isn't a miracle patch but I can tell you from only being on it for 3 days so far I feel like a new woman. My mood feels different. I don't feel like I'm going to burst at the seams the moment someone asks me how I'm doing. My moods and attitude started interfering with work and family. I had to do something. I feel alot calmer now since starting it. It is a low dose and easy to work with. You put the patch on and go about your daily business. Even went swimming yesterday with it and it stayed put. You have to be your own advocate. If you don't feel normal then demand something be done about it. Don't let them tell you it is just a normal part of the menopause. You don't have to live with the terrible symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register