A Big Decision To Make | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Big Decision To Make A Big Decision To Make

Unread 10-28-2001, 12:22 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Hi everyone, I am new to this board. I have a very big decision to make. I will start at the beginning and hopefully you can understand where I am coming from. Be prepared, this will be really long.

I know that children are not suppose to be talked about but that is what started my whole problem. I am 40 years old and have 2 kids. I was 34 when I had my first and 38 when I had my 2nd. Both were vaginal births. My first was a very difficult delivery. He was 8-7, but had such a huge head the doctor told me it was more like delivering a 10lb baby. He was also forcepts. I had an epsiotomy and tore really bad. I should have had a c-section. After I got home I had lots of problems but the worst was I felt really loose. I tried the kegals but they didn't work very well.

After my second child (delivery was a breeze) 7-3. The problem is that she stretched me out even more. 2 years later I feel like I am falling out. Mid way through my cycle I feel like I have an extra appendage. I can push myself back in but it just falls down again.

Last year my sleep started to change. I couldn't fall asleep until 3 in the morning. The doctor put me on Clonasapam. Then by Christmas I was really depressed. I blamed it on the sleeping problem. The doctor then put me on depression pills, celexa. Then by the summer I noticed that my periods were really weird. My cycle is usually around 30-32 days. But by the summer they went up and down between 34-39 days. I went back to the doctor and she sent me for blood tests that showed that my thyroid was low. I am now on thyroid pills for about 4 weeks so far. I went to my obgyn and she checked out my other problem and told me that my epsiotomy site was stretched out so bad. This is what is causing me to fall out. I have to go in and have it tightened (for a better word) This has to be done no matter what. She also sent me in for a fsh test to see if I have started menopause. I don't know the results yet. My problem is I have one of three choices. I can use a pessimary ring for the rest of my life. I can have a complete tuck done, but will probably have to have it done again 10 or 20 years down the road, or I can have a hysterectomy. So far I am leaning towards the 3rd choice. Then the next question is do I keep my ovaries and cervex, just the ovaries or everything goes. Another question is what if I am not going through menopause. Should I still go through with the hysterectomy. My surgery for the epsiotomy restitch is not until Jan., so I have a few months to make my decision. I really need to talk to other people who are in the same boat and who have already made the decision. HELP, and thanks for any help you can provide. Nanaimo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2001, 01:36 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Nanaimo,

I can't help you with this but I'm sure someone will be along soon as this site is wonderful. You might consider the forum "Road Less Traveled", there may be some stuff there to help you out as well.

Hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 10-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Nanaimo

Sweety you have a really big decision to make. I haven't any advice because I don't have any or your problems, mine was plain and simple pain, bleeding, and medical. If you remove your ovaries I do know you will go into menopause. If it is just the uterus and tuck up the vagina opening I don't think it will come until your age determines it. If I were you I would research these options and find the one that you feel more comfortable with. Have your DH be your sounding board. My DH does this all the time. With my hyst. he wanted me to wait but just a little and I couldn't. What he did for me was help me to realize that this was my only option. So alot and maybe it won't be so hard when you find out about each option. God bless. you are in my prayers and God will send those s to help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2001, 02:52 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Hi Nanaimo!

Warm Welcomes to Hyster Sisters...and {{{BIG HUGS}}} to you, sweetie!

First thing...I have NEVER been under the impression that "you're not supposed to talk about children here!!" Oh my...we talk about our DKids all of the time! Sure...there are women here who were unable to have children...and are heartbroken from it...but they are still happy for those of us who do have them! Hyster Sisters are all SUPER SWEET!

You are in for a huge decision process that only you can ultimately make...based on info from your Doc, your DH's input, and even input that you may pick up here. A hysterectomy is major surgery...but it is also the best choice I made for my situation! I feel super...and am so glad to be rid of it all...though I kept my ovaries to avoid surgically induced menopause.

Please do see the Road Less Travelled...and see if anyone has had these same difficulties.

We are here for you!!
Unread 10-28-2001, 03:41 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters! I have one bit of advice for you and that would be to find a good Urogynecologist and get a second opinion. If your uterus is healthy there is really no reason to take it out. Urogyn's have more expertise than a regular gyn when it comes to prolapse repairs. My gynecologist himself gave me the name of one in my area and was the one that recommended that I go to one even though he could do the surgery, he said a urogyn would do it much better than he. Maybe your gyn would give you the name of a good one in your area. You don't say that you really have any other gynecological problems besides prolapse and being perimenopausal would really not be a very good reason to have a hysterectomy either.

I hope this helps. Check out all of your options so you will be making the very best choice for you!

Love and s
Unread 10-28-2001, 05:57 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Hi and welcome!

You've come to the right place for information and support. A good source for specific info is our search engine...the little purple button at the top of each page. If you search "prolapse" you will find many many threads that will give you lots of information.

You have some hard choices to make, but you're doing it right. Research everything, ask a million questions, keep reading and posting, and also consider a second opinion. It can give you some good perspective.

Stick with us, and we will all help you get through this!

Karen
Unread 10-28-2001, 07:01 PM
A Big Decision To Make

Here is a link that might help you in making your decision:

http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/
Unread 10-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Told Ya' So! *heehee*

See....told you they are all SUPER SWEET!!! That is what is so GREAT about this site...the women here...especially the Hostesses....REALLY, TRULY care about their fellow Hyster Sisters/LIW's!! Thanks, Ladies...I love you all!!!!

Hugs!!
Unread 10-29-2001, 06:35 AM
Re: A Big Decision To Make

Dear Nanaimo,

I was a victim of prolapse also. Go to the prolapse website mentioned in this thread to find out lots more info on prolapse, its causes, and its treatment options.

My doc, a uro-gyn specializing in pelvic reconstruction, told me that once you have prolapsed, you will have a tendency to prolapse again Things that contribute to prolapse are: genes, extra weight, post-40 and post vaginal childbirth. If you are not already doing kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor, start TODAY, and continue for the rest of your life. Here is a good link to learn more about them: http://www.universityobgyn.com/kegal.htm

The uterus/cervix are held into place by ligaments. If your uterus/cervix have fallen down, you probably need to have *that* fixed along with the extra repairs you refer to as episiotomy repairs. This procedure is generally referred to as uterine resuspension.

It's my understanding that the cervix is part of the problem (falling organs) in prolapse. If your ovaries are healthy, & you have no family history of ovarian cancer, you should consider keeping them, as they will continue to dribble out good things for you even after menopause.

I would recommend you get a 2nd opinion, and even a 3rd opinion. Find a uro-gynecologist if you can. Get smart about your symtpoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register