Removing 2nd Ovary Worried Because Can't Tolerate Estrogen - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Removing 2nd Ovary Worried Because Can't Tolerate Estrogen Removing 2nd Ovary Worried Because Can't Tolerate Estrogen

Unread 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Re: Removing 2nd Ovary Worried Because Can't Tolerate Estrogen

I'm open to HRT if it won't make me feel like that estrodial patch did . . . I am hoping that the estrodial just made me feel horrible because of the form it was in. I did try the patch and the pills (lowest dose) but back then I had my ovaries . . . maybe I can take it if my ovaries are gone. All I know is that it made me feel insane and I could not sleep a second when taking it and I worry about that. I see the doctor tomorrow. I just feel like I have a choice between feeling insane from meds or feeing depressed and brain dead from no meds. It's frightening. What HRT did you take? I don't really think herbs do much so I probably won't go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeSleep View Post
Did it take very long? I teach college courses and have to be interviewed for my books . . . and I can't put two words together!
It was gradual, thus it is very hard to assess exactly how long it took. I had short-term memory problems prior to my TLH/BSO, and a lifelong problem with misplacing things.

My friend suggests doing puzzles and watching/reading mysteries as helpful. (This is another friend how has had a hyst with both ovaries removed, many years ago, and not on HRT).
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM

I had no HRT experience. I take a very low dose Climara (estradiol) patch. You might do OK with no ovaries now, sounds like maybe excess estrogen dose before. My dose is tiny but it works, and I MUST think clearly at work. I figured I'd try it and after 3 days my brain worked again. I hope something works out for you, too----and soon. Brain fog is underestimated in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks . . . I will try whatever they give me again. I did have an amazingly bad reaction to the low dose estradiol before though. It was the strangest thing. I am hoping it will be different now without ovaries. I am a bit frightened to try things because of that experience. I took pictures of my legs because they were covered in baseball sized bruises from me smashing them into furniture in my sleep. It was so odd. I guess I just kicked my shins into the corners of furniture while I was half asleep. I did it every night I was on it for 3 nights in a row. I changed from the patch to the pill to see if I had an allergic reaction to the glue or something but it was the same. I felt really really bad on it. I'm hoping there is some other form that I will tolerate now.
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Another idea: Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for brain function. I supplement with fish oil capsules, and find them helpful. I take evening primrose oil as well.

Each woman is individual with regards to what works and we have to find that balance.
Unread 09-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks - I used to take fish oil but haven't done so in a while. I didn't notice anything back then but I still had my ovaries . . .
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM

It has been 2 weeks since I removed my last ovary. I went a few days before side effects made me crazy. I couldn't even speak or think. I guess that is what they mean by brain fog but I couldn't function at all. They put me on the lowest dose of elestrin which scared me because I have had a problem taking estradiol before. It made me able to speak and helped a little bit. I went from being 10% out of 100% well to 50% well. Each day that passed made me more and more unable to sleep though. Even with taking 5 mg. of Valium, I would only sleep about 4 hours and would wake with a feeling of adrenaline as if someone gave me an epinephrine shot. Super hyper and nervous. I was lucky to sleep until 1:00 am. Exhaustion sent me to the doctor who said I needed to double the dose of Elestrin .06% gel . . . so I took two doses on that day and by night time I was feeling really strangely. I took a Valium and slept a litttle better but when I woke up I felt horrible. I took my first dose of the day (third dose in 24 hours) of Elestrin and could not function at all. I was back to not being able to talk or think. I was nauseated and panicky. I was back to about 5% of normal. It was one of the hardest days . . . I felt as if I was going insane. The doctor told me to take the second dose and to add on prometrium (progesterone) 100 mg. I was going to do it but then I looked up all of the side effects of prometrium and it freaked me out. Not only did he want me to take more of the thing that made me sick, the elestrin, but more of a drug that everyone said would make you feel horrible. So I freaked out and didn't take either one. I felt much better today than yesterday . . . up to about 40% of normal but the doctor claims I will never be able to sleep unless I do what he tells me to do and try the drugs. I'm terrified of having another day like yesterday. I don't tolerate any medications well but I need to sleep. Even the valium isn't working and all I do is feel nauseated, depressed, agitated and insane. I'm at the end of my ability to tolerate this. I don't see how taking a drug that made me crazy is a good idea and I'm afraid of what the prometrium will do. All my day consists of is waiting to take a valium to knock myself out at least for a few hours to escape this misery. What is someone to do who can't tolerate medications? I need sleep. I think the doctor is a smart man but I don't think he understands how insane I feel. By asking me to take more of that drug that made me crazy, I'm terrified I'll go insane. What do you do?
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Have you tried Ambien (Zolpidem)? Two of my menopausal friends absolutely cannot sleep without it, and take it every night (both natural menopause, no hyst.) My mother-in-law has a hyst with removed ovaries, and also uses it every night.

I am very fortunate to sleep well on most nights with no meds of any kind. However, Ambien is very effective on those nights which I cannot sleep.

I used it during a recent vacation ... I was absolutely unable to sleep because there were some very noisy people in the hallway of the hotel at which a stayed. I am very noise sensitive and the medicine made all the difference.

If you want to consider this med, I suggest you may have to consult with more than one Dr., as opinions about it's use seem to differ in the medical community.

I am not a person who likes to promote use of any prescription drugs, but I realize that in certain circumstances they are necessary.

You may want to check out one of my favorite websites, http://www.askapatient.com/ where people share their experiences with all types of prescription drugs, including HRT.

Hope you find find some good restful sleep.
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM

In the prior years, I tried MANY different kinds of birth control pills and progesterone only. They ALL had side effects of mood change or nausea or both. Luckily, I do perfectly fine on topical estrogen patch. No mood issues at all! It is much lower than birth control pills. More likely it is the progesterone that gave me such trouble.
Unread 09-22-2010, 04:35 AM

The reaction I have had in the last few days has been really bad - way worse than just nausea. I feel like my liver is rotting. I taste bile and feel poisoned. As the day goes on it gets worse. I have constant headaches, never stop burping and can't sleep more than 4 hours even with double-dose of valium. All of these new symptoms started since adding dhea/estriol cream, progesterone and upping my estradiol dose. So they switched from estradiol to a combo estradiol/estriol which seems to have made me worse. It feels a lot like morning sickness but way worse and almost as if I ate rat poisoning and going into liver failure. The doctor said to stop dhea/estriol since that was the only thing I was taking in the morning and my symptoms worsened throughout the day. I'm so sick, I'm lost for what to do. When I tried cutting back my estradiol in the past, I went insane. So I have a choice between insanity and liver poisoning. This is unreal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register