Riding in Cars with Boys | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Riding in Cars with Boys Riding in Cars with Boys

Unread 10-28-2001, 04:26 PM
Girls Riding in Cars with Boys

OKay, I have to admit. I had no plans to see this movie. THe title made it sound like a teenager movie....but, a friend dragged me to it. I'm glad she did!

The title is deceptive. This is really about the life of a gal who is intelligent...planning and dreaming of college and a life to reflect her mom and dad's life together. The title could be: Me riding in cars with men....because all the signficant conversations of self-realization happen in a car with men: her dad, her boyfriend, her son......

The content of this movie is sad and dismal but hope has a thread throughout. And although sad, there is a humor of life that ices the cake.

I liked it and can recommend it to adults: high school and above. There is much value here....about what is really important in life and how not to miss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2001, 04:19 AM
Riding in Cars with Boys

Thanks for that review Kathy. I have seen previews for it and wondered if it would be worth seeing. Now I think that I will go see it.
Unread 10-30-2001, 06:55 AM
Riding in Cars with Boys

Kathy, I don't know if you realized this or not but that movie is based on a realife story........ I saw an interview with Drew Barrymore and she said that is really why she took the role. She wanted to honor this girl's life and struggles. She felt she was a true survivor!

Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2001, 06:11 PM
Riding in Cars with Boys

Hi All! Thanks for dragging me this way, Kaatie! This is so cool!

You are right, Emily...it is based on a true story...is actually a book, too! BUT...as they usually do with movies/screenplays...they tore it to pieces to meet their needs!

I personally did not see the movie, as I wait until things are on video/dvd so I can see them CC (closed captioned)! BUT i heard that they took away all of the strong values of the main character. In real life she did get her degree and at a major University...not a small one. She also did it without her BF/SO.

Can't wait to see it now...maybe I will nab the book in the meantime?

Hugs,
Kat
Unread 11-05-2001, 06:24 PM
Riding in Cars with Boys

It was awesome. I saw the preview when I went to see America's Sweethearts and it looked great. But I was even more impressed than I thought I would be. The previews look more humurous than the movie actually is. My HRT is working fine because I cried like a baby at the end. I took my daughter. Those of you that see me in chat know she has gotten her first kisses(including tongue! AAHH!!!). This was a good one to see. The character gets pregnant in 1965 at 15. It shows her life after that. Long hard road. I could almost relate, I thought I was pregnant at 15 and I thank God that I was not. He was a loser too. But what really got to me in this movie was the parent/child relationships. From Drew's character and her father to her and her son. Even the father son relationship. This screen play was beautifully done. Kudos to Penny Marshall for the direction. Honestly, this was one of the best movies I have ever seen. Enjoy, but take tissues for those of you on HRT!!! Lol I was the only one who cried, go figure!

Debbie :dragon:
Unread 11-06-2001, 04:39 PM
Riding in Cars with Boys

I cried at the end, too, Pinkdragon. The ending was really endearing....

So, what is the name of the book? Same as the movie? I'd like to read it too.
Unread 11-15-2001, 10:04 AM
Riding in Cars with Boys

Yeah, Kathy...I believe that the name of the book is the same...can probably be found at any book or grocery store?

Let us know what you think when do read it!

I know that Penny Marshall said that this movie would do for teen preganancy what "Jaws" did for swimming in the ocean!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register