completely lost | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

completely lost completely lost

Unread 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
completely lost

I am 26 years old and over 2 years post TAH due to endometriosis. Before I was diagnosed I was taking a prescription called megace to gain weight (i've been severely underweight my whole life). After the surgery I tried several different HRT and the Dr finally told me that my body just would not absorb hormones anymore. I've been a mess ever since. The hot flashes have eased up some but still awful! The mood swings dieve me nuts. And i'm always tired. Anti depressants don't help and I haven't found any supplements that help either. My Dr told me that symptoms should go away in a year or so. But I still have all my symptoms. I can't even afford a Dr now because my insurance was dropped. Is there anything that will help? How much longer will this last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Re: completely lost

Hi,

A change in diet helps, like no caffiene, no sugar, no alcohol, no spicey foods. I have also found drinking about 2 cups of soy milk helps. I like the Silk brand in the vanilla flavor.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how long symptoms last, and we are all different. I do know mine started out pretty strong and now mild, and only one or two a day. I have not known anyone that had them only for a year. I wish that were true, very lucky indeed.

Here is a link with some information to help with symptoms:

http://www.project-aware.org/Managin...hotflash.shtml

I hope this helps some.

Unread 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigham View Post
I am 26 years old and over 2 years post TAH due to endometriosis. Before I was diagnosed I was taking a prescription called megace to gain weight (i've been severely underweight my whole life). After the surgery I tried several different HRT and the Dr finally told me that my body just would not absorb hormones anymore. I've been a mess ever since. The hot flashes have eased up some but still awful! The mood swings dieve me nuts. And i'm always tired. Anti depressants don't help and I haven't found any supplements that help either. My Dr told me that symptoms should go away in a year or so. But I still have all my symptoms. I can't even afford a Dr now because my insurance was dropped. Is there anything that will help? How much longer will this last?
Have you tried OTC Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Estroven etc...? Since you don't have insurance, these may assist with sleep. I would buy the Melatonin since it would be the cheapest. Some on this board report the above help them, but they never helped me. Maybe because my symptoms were more severe at night vs day. Try eating a good healthy diet, stay active and work out daily. I have always followed a Mediterranean diet. As far as not having insurance for the Megace, make milk shakes, you will get the extra calories, that is what I did, since the powder stuff they sell in the health food stores are way too costly especially if you are on a budget. I too was an underweight teen all the way into adulthood. I finally put on 10lbs when I got in my late 40's, never could gain weight. My one side of the family is like that, high metabolism with energy to burn, always active. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I usually don't have too many problems sleeping at night once I get to sleep. The hot flashes are the worst as i'm going to sleep at night. But getting through the day with out a nap or 2 is like an act of congress! I have tried everything imaginable for weight gain from prescriptions to shakes to herbal supplements. The only thing that ever worked was the megace. As far as the weight thing goes I guess i'm just gonna be stuck at 84 lbs for the rest of my life. Lol. The worst part is the sleepiness. I am now trying a few things I have found on this site. Hopefully they will help. Thank you every one!
Unread 09-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Not sure about the problems with hotflashes, I have them but they are manageable. I chose not to take and HRT because I hate the thought of being on any kind of medication. The thing that has really helped me with mood, and clarity of thoughts, everything else that comes with hysterectomy, is exercise. I started running with some friends and could barely run a mile (1/2) Now I run 5 days a week up to 3 miles when we feel good. That is really helping my mental fitness. Walking would be great too....start doing something everyday. Exercise releases endorphins that help with mood and mind. Don't give up!!
Unread 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I usually don't have too many problems sleeping at night once I get to sleep. The hot flashes are the worst as i'm going to sleep at night. But getting through the day with out a nap or 2 is like an act of congress! I have tried everything imaginable for weight gain from prescriptions to shakes to herbal supplements. The only thing that ever worked was the megace. As far as the weight thing goes I guess i'm just gonna be stuck at 84 lbs for the rest of my life. Lol. The worst part is the sleepiness. I am now trying a few things I have found on this site. Hopefully they will help. Thank you every one!
Sounds like you are not sleeping throughout the night, since you mentioned you need nap(s), so I assuming your night sweats are waking you up. Some people do have good results with Megace (cancer, HIV patients etc.), assists w/weight gain. Nah, you won't be stuck at 84lbs, eventually your metabolism will change. Mine changed in my late 40's when I got perimenopause s/s. My 96 year old grandmother finally gained in her early 60's. We both only put on approx 10lbs. Don't waste your money on those herbal supplements & powders.....that stuff has been around for a long time and unless you are a professional athlete and/or have the money for protein supplements and/or weight gain powders, just try eating more calories. My family doctor always told me not to waste money on that stuff....continue to eat healthy, drink milk-shakes at night, exercise, lift some weights. When I did not have time to make a milk shake, I stopped at McDonalds on the way home from work & bought one. I don't eat fast food, since never liked it, but I did buy the milk shakes. Since I finally was able to gain weight in my late 40's, I no longer need those extra calories and have not bought a McDonald's milkshake for years.

By any chance do you run a lot, enter marathons etc...? I did a lot of swimming, and yes, I was slender.
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:25 PM

No. No marathons or swiming or anything of the sort. Just the general house cleaning and cooking of a 1950's wife. I have a controlling hubby that likes everything perfect so I do stay on my feet all day but nothing I would classify as strenuous. It's only partialy a metanoism thing I think. I can't seem to eat if I am not hungry at all or I feel sick I have even gottensick a few times. I don't let my weight get to me too much but my overall health the past few years has greatly declined and I can feel it. If that makes any sense and that makes my mental state a little wishy washy too. I just want to feel normal again.
Unread 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
No. No marathons or swiming or anything of the sort. Just the general house cleaning and cooking of a 1950's wife. I have a controlling hubby that likes everything perfect so I do stay on my feet all day but nothing I would classify as strenuous. It's only partialy a metanoism thing I think. I can't seem to eat if I am not hungry at all or I feel sick I have even gottensick a few times. I don't let my weight get to me too much but my overall health the past few years has greatly declined and I can feel it. If that makes any sense and that makes my mental state a little wishy washy too. I just want to feel normal again.
Alright, then since you are not doing a ton of exercise where you are burning off a lot of calories.....would it possibly be nerves, since you mentioned your hubby is controlling and likes everything perfect? You also mentioned your health has declined & you are not always hungry. Have you had a through physical exam with lab work lately? I think of anemia, thyroid or celiac disease. I have several cousins who are thin like me and they have celiac disease. But, for some reason, I am thinking your nerves/stress play a part in your health. Please don't think I am being condescending, just concerned. I was the same age as you when I was married to my first husband (controlling, bully, volatile temper). Often, he had me walking on egg shells and at times I was just not hungry due to his nasty and mean temperament;and yes, I was often sick to my stomach.

You mentioned you do not have health insurance. Not sure what state you live in, but most health departments will accept little or no charge, and you may be able to get a physical exam and possibly some blood work done. Check out the local facilities in your area as well. The hospital where I live, has 1 day a week where they see people who no longer have insurance or under-insured. Our health departments take Medicaid. Without knowing your salary, not sure if you & spouse can qualify for government assistance.

I am attaching two websites that offer free medical care at various clinics. Click on your state and it will take you to the free clinics in your state listed by area. I hope this helps & you are able to find a caring physician. Also, if for some reason, the websites are not allowed on hystersisters, please send me a message and I'll be glad to forward you the sites. I have been in your shoes, without health insurance and sadly millions in our country are without as well. Best of luck to you. ~Lizzie

http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/

http://www.freeclinics.us/freeclinic.php
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM
completely lost

Quote:
Hi. I'm sorry you r so young and having to go through this. My journey began at 34 and I thought I was young... I can't take HRT either (cancer history), so I I'm willing to try anything also. My Dr said I could take belladonna. It is a homeopathic bilingual "med" you can find at Whole Foods (usually). Also, I tried geranium (few drops) in a mist bottle diluted with water. Keep in the drug and mist urself. I'm not sure if it was the geranium oil or the fact that the mist was cold (smiling). I still have symptoms (flashing, no libido, etc.), and I'm almost two years out. But I have hope and women like u to talk to to help each of us through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register