My bedroom is upstairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My bedroom is upstairs My bedroom is upstairs

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
My bedroom is upstairs

I'm wondering if it's okay to go up and down stairs after coming home from the hospital?

My wonderfully comfy bed is upstairs and I'd really prefer to rest there as opposed to the couch or recliner.

My gyn has not told me what my post op restrictions will be; I know that I'll receive instructions when I'm discharged, but I'd like to get the house ready for my recovery now.

Does anybody know what the common restrictions are regarding stairs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Re: My bedroom is upstairs

Hi Domestic.

Everyone seems to get different instructions from their docs, so it's best to do what your doc says.

For my own experience, I had no stair restrictions. As soon as I came home from the castle I walked directly upstairs to my bedroom. I took it slow at first, but it felt fine.

I had an SAH. I don't know what kind of surgery you're having, but maybe experiences are different for those with vaginal surgeries. I'm sure others will provide their experiences, too.

Good luck!!
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:47 PM

I had a TVH, no stair restrictions, and a tri level house. Stairs were no problem. However some Drs say different, esp for TAH, so you may need to consolidate trips. Do hold on to the rail if you take narcs, and if you need support. Best wishes for your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM

They wouldn't let me out of the castle until I went up and down a flight of stairs, even though I told them I live in an apartment with an elevator. They said walking and even gently climbing stairs would help with the recovery.

Just take it easy.
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM

My bedroom is upstairs as well, with my laproscopy I tolerated the stairs well as long as I supported my stomach it wasn't bad, I'm assuming this time around will be the same.
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:45 PM

I'm managing the stairs well. Not fast, but not too slow either. No doc restrictions on them either. I'm with you on rather being in the comfy bed than anywhere else. I probably am not in any shape to get out of my Eames chair which is the only other place I'd rather sit, so it gets a break for now.
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM

Hi domestichick!!

Every Dr seems to be different. Hospital discharge instructions that I got did not cover stairs but my Drs orders were no stairs for a week after I came home and only once up and once down per day. This may be standard for him or it may just have been because of the extensive repair work I had done.

Check with your Dr before climbing stairs. If he/she OKs stairs, be very careful going up and down.

Wishing you well for your surgery and recovery!!

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:45 AM

My doctor told me to only go up and down the stairs 1 time a day for the first two weeks. She also said to be sure that someone was behind me as I was going up and in front of me as I was going down- just in case.
Unread 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM

I would just do the stairs slowly once you get home.
Let someone do the rest of the work
Remember its the internal stitches that need
To heal so take it slow.

Mj
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM

I am having a TAH and my doctor said NO steps for 10 days. Do you have a bathroom up there? If so, I would climb them one time, and stay put. Make sure someone is behind you, and take one step at a time, putting both feet on same step before you go to next step.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register