How long before the swelly belly goes away? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before the swelly belly goes away? How long before the swelly belly goes away?

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
How long before the swelly belly goes away?

I'm 18 days post op. I've noticed that I can get into some of my capris, but not others because my belly is still swollen. How long before I can expect this to go away? Is there anything I can do to help ease the swelling? I'm asking because I'm going to the MP Ball on the 25th with my hubby and I'm hoping I'll be able to fit into my dress. Also, I'll be 5 weeks post op by then, will shapewear be ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Re: How long before the swelly belly goes away?

I'm just about 5 weeks post. I went through my closet tonight because I have to return to work. About 2/3 of my clothes fit, but about half of those don't fit quite right. Still kinda swelly - I just look thick in the middle. My Dr. said I could wear shapewear no problem; at Macy's, they recommended the Miraclesuit brand.
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:02 AM

I advise to the shapewear, check with doctor but it should be fine as they offer tight fitting panties for post op recovery.... Swelly belly seems to last and last....I am at 8 weeks out and she arrives in the afternoons, my 14 year old daughter goes...hey mom, you look different than this morning...yep, sure do..... I love the name it has been given here on HS...very appropriate. I don't recall hearing about SB before the surgery...hmmmmmm . Using that shapewear will get you into that awesome dress! Happy Recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM

Hi ladies, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this is. My cut is from just below my bellybutton right down. Tonight I have noticed that there is a lump at the very top of my scar and indents down lower. Any thoughts? Thankyou all 
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:55 AM

I still swell in the afternoon too, so annoying. Surgery was May 28.
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Even after a daVinci procedure you end up with swelly belly. At 11 weeks post op I started (finally) noticing that it was not there any more. This made me very happy since I ran on the treadmill almost daily from weeks 8-11. I've continued the exercise 4-5 times a week and now (at week 15) I can wear almost all of my clothes. I do notice it gets worse in the late afternoon but since I only work until the early afternoon that's ok. I think 3-5 weeks post op is too soon to fit into your old clothes again. Just give it time and add exercise when you feel up to it. I did not do any walking until 6 weeks post op; it was not comfortable and my back hurt even at the end of that time when I tried to walk any distance.
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm 13 weeks out and am STILL dealing with swelly belly...UGH! I have noticed I have a couple of good days and then boom...big bad belly is back. My belly is still sore (bikini cut) so that is part of why I'm not back into my regular clothes yet...just too uncomfortable. Thank goodness for Ross and Goodwill and leggings!

Hang in there...even with swelly belly I feel sooooo much better!
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:34 PM

I had to add an update to this.. My dress got here today and it fits perfectly despite my swollen belly. In fact, it hides it nicely too. The only problem is the length, but I knew that would require some alterations because I'm only 5'2. I'm so excited to go to the ball on the arm of my handsome hubby.
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM

You're going to be beautiful! Have a wonderful time!
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

You'll be feeling great for the MP ball...and best news of the day that the dress fit and hides the ol swelly belly...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register