Totally losing my mind. Anyone else??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Totally losing my mind.  Anyone else??? Totally losing my mind. Anyone else???

Unread 09-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Totally losing my mind. Anyone else???

I had my TAH/BSO on June 10. For the last month I have had about 3 hot flashes an hour. I hate the feeling that comes along with them. Besides that, I am in a real bad place mentally. I am so anxious and keyed up that I am taking Valium 10 mg as needed.

I have started taking Estroven OTC to see if that would help. I am also so sad all the time. Crying is a daily occurance.

I had bloodwork done and my iron is in the toilet, so much so that I need to do a repeat with lots more different tests and then go see a hematologist. But I am more concerned with my horrible mood swings.

I have been reading on HRT (which I have not started). The side effects seem to overwhelm the good points. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. ~Winnie~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Re: Totally losing my mind. Anyone else???

Not everyone on HRT has side effects. I just feel like myself. If you do stick with Estroven, it can take a month to kick in but it may not work. Also, Effexor and related meds are also used for hot flashes etc and that works for some. For every woman with HRT problems, you'll find one who'd fight anyone trying to take theirs away, it helps them so much, so there are both sides to that. Its up to you what you try but maybe discuss options with your Dr, too. I hope you get some relief soon. Also----my GYN suggests acupuncture.
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:11 PM

I have been avoiding trying a drug that 3 of my doctors though would help my headaches because I was terrified of the side effects. I have now been on it for a week & it does not seem to have any side effects for me. My only point is do not be afraid to Try. At worst you will have side effects & they you can stop taking it. At least you know you tried. I hope you feel better soon. I too am afraid a lot & I know how sad it can be. Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Winnie,
To me quality of life outweighs any cons there are to taking hrt. And I also think that many of the cons have been overblown by the media unnecessarily. I've been using hrt for over 11 years now and have not had any bad side effects. It is something that my doctor and I reevaluate annually. I have blood work done and a mammogram. As long as things come back okay, doc says I can continue on with the hrt.

You can read more about hormones in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 09-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Hi, there. Sorry to hear about your problem. I am new to the post-hysterectomy problems as well; I had mine on 8-11. After my surgery, which took everything out including ovaries, my doctor wanted to wait a week or so to see if I had any problems with hormones before he gave me anything. It took all of 2 days and I was having horrible hot flashes, night sweats, and crying jags. I take antidepressants and ADD meds and he said I should be fine with the Vivelle patch. Of course I came home and looked up everything I could find on that and found positives and negatives. I asked him several questions and he reassured me that not everyone has issues with HRT so I tried it. I have been on it for about 3 weeks now and it has been wonderful. No interractions with my other medication and the hot flashes have all but stopped. I hope all works out well for you because I know how it feels to be in that world of unsurity. Good luck and long-distance hugs to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register