Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision

Unread 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision

Has anyone had this done as an in office procedure? I don't mean silver nitrate applications. I believe it would be electric cautery. My ongoing saga of granulation continues. I have had a revision of the vaginal cuff and multiple silver nitrate applications and it still will not heal. The last silver nitrate was very painful. If it is any worse I do not want this done as an office procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Re: Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation

Hello!

I'm sorry that you're having problems with granulation tissue. I can relate from experience. Mine was first found when I was around 7 months post-op.

I had a lot of granulation tissue and when my doctor did the first silver nitrate treatment, he was doubtful that it would be enough to help. Unfortunately, he was right. I did end up having the granulation tissue surgically removed as an in-office procedure.

The worst part of the procedure for me was the numbing shots in the vaginal cuff. I won't lie--those really hurt but it didn't take long for the area to numb and then my doctor proceeded to cut away the tissue. He sent it off to pathology just to be certain it was granulation tissue and that's just what the testing showed.

After the procedure my husband drove me home. I probably could have driven myself but I was feeling rather sore. I went to bed when I got home but by the next day I was feeling well enough to be up and around, doing my usual activities. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic and said no sex for a week or so to give the area time to heal.

I ended up needing additional treatments of silver nitrate but just for one stubborn area. Eventually the bleeding with sex stopped and I've been fine since.

It's frustrating to have recovery drag on so long but I hope it helps to know you're not alone in the journey. Keep us updated on how you're doing, okay?

Unread 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Update: Vaginal Cuff Granulation

After several silver nitrate applications for granulation tissue at the cuff I am told the area has healed. Well I am both happy and confused. Happy because i wasn't looking forward to this appointment as it was to involve an in office cautery of the area if the last silver nitrate treatment, which was very painful, didn't work. Confused because I still have vaginal discharge.

Am I unreasonable to expect that 6 months after cuff revision and 16 months after my original hysterectomy that I shouldn't have a discharge that requires the use of daily minipads? It is much less than before this surgery but the surgeon who told me that I should never have been told by my previous surgeon that discharge after 3- 4 months post hystyerectomy was normal stated that the vagina always has cyclical discharge. Ladies I am well aware of that, however, this is not a normal cyclical discharge for me.

I'm sorry if this is too graphic but I really need to know if this is a normal thing for most women post hysterectomy. I remember an increase in clear secretions around ovulation time and perhaps an increase in whitish discharge just before menstruating that would stain your underwear a bit yellow in color but this is not like that. It is tannish in color on my pad. I feel it come out, like a squirt sensation, that feeling like you would get when you knew your period had started. I never felt cyclical discharge come out. Activity definitely makes it worse. I had become so frustrated as each month went by that I finally took someone's suggestion and brought pictures so there would be no misunderstanding. Also I have developed pelvic floor spasms involving my right side (the same side of the cuff problems) which increase the discharge.

I pressed the issue with the surgeon stating he had said that the discharge and original abdominal/pelvic pain was related to improper healing of the cuff and probable adhesions, both of which was discovered during the revision. The pain had resolved after surgery but is now returning. Each time he applies silver nitrate to this area of "granulation" on the ride side of the cuff the discharge stops for about 5-6 days and slowly returns. I said it makes me think there is something still wrong. He said even though he didn't see obvious areas of granulation there would still be healing of the area. I asked for a time frame, when could I expect the discharge to end and the pain resolve. He said he hated to give me a time frame because a was a very slow healer and had shown to be outside the expected norm but to touch base with him if it hadn't stopped in 1- 2 months. As to the pelvic floor muscle spasms, that it could take several months of pelvic floor PT to resolve and spoke of Botox injections.

So did I have a hysterectomy to wear pads the rest of my life? Do I accept this as my end result? Do I wait 1-2 months(which would be 8 months after the revision, 18 months after the hysterectomy)? Do I seek out yet another opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Re: Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision

Since you have so many questions and you are taking so long to heal, I would really suggest getting a second opinion. Another doctor might have additional ideas for treating the area and helping you to heal faster. A second doctor may also have some ideas about whether or not the discharge is solely related to your healing issues.

I know it can be very frustrating having long term health issues and healing slowly! My goes out to you and your situation!

in there talk to your doctors--your GP may even have some ideas/suggestions and could refer you to another doctor who might be able to help you.

Unread 09-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Weiser thanks for responding,

Actually, this was my second opinion. I did not use my original surgeon for my surgery as I did not feel comfortable where she had not recognized the issues with the cuff in the first place. I spoke to my Pelvic floor therapist about it and actually showed her the pics and she agrees it is not cyclical discharge. Along with the other issues she is treating she agrees there is a problem in the area and I should seek out another opinion.

Obviously this is a problem with my healing response. I just find it hard to believe I am that unique. Someone must have dealt with something like this. My GP feels the situation is complicated. He is happy to send me to anyone I would like to see but hasn't been able to provide any personal recommendations. Both of my surgeons came highly recommended but if anyone in the Massachusetts area wants to privately message me a recommendation I would appreciate it.
Unread 09-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Cauterizing vaginal cuff granulation following cuff revision

I see this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it as I am having an issue with granulation and discharge. I'm thankful for HysterSisters, a great source of info and support🌸
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

I thought after my last silver nitrate treatment which hurt a lot from nurse practitioner I was cured because after about a week I stopped spotting, well after a month, I started spotting today, no pain, I had a hard bowel movement before it started so I hope that is cause, I'm giving it a few days to see if it stops. Very disappointed!!
Unread 10-19-2014, 07:56 AM

Can someone tell me why my posts keep getting deleted? I am having this same problem. This is not cool.
Unread 10-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCreates View Post
Can someone tell me why my posts keep getting deleted? I am having this same problem. This is not cool.
Your posts are not getting deleted, this is an old thread, they were split off to this post so the member could get support for her needs

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=583073

If you have concerns and questions of your own, you should start a new thread in our Post Op forum https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Unread 10-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the clarification. My update link keeps coming to this one, so that would account for the confusion. Had no idea they were spilt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register