How long does it take to recover from abdominal Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does it take to recover from abdominal Hyst? How long does it take to recover from abdominal Hyst?

Unread 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
How long does it take to recover from abdominal Hyst?

I have two weeks left in a boot because of a broke ankle and I'm 2 weeks out from a lap for removal of endo, polyps, cysts, fibroids, adhesions, and a dnc. I only have my right ovary because two years ago my left one had gangrene from an ovarian torsion. I have decided to go ahead and get everything removed but, I need to give my family time to recovery, myself as well, before I start planning on a hyst. My question is how long does it take to recover from an abdominal hyst, as long as everything goes well. I have yet to decide about what to do bout hormones. I am only 30 and I know I'll need them but not sure what to do about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Re: How long does it take to reconer from Hyst?

The short answer is 6-8 wks, 6 months for full recovery-6 mos to a year. But how you personally will feel depends on individual factors. But really, with some other hysts maybe a shorter time, but figure 6-8 wks off work for a general plan. Hope it goes well for you.
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Re: How long does it take to recover from abdominal Hyst?

6 weeks is yes the short answer. I think it really depends on what you do in your life and what you are wanting to know how long till you can get back too.

I had a no complications TAH and 4 weeks today I am able to do a bit of housework. SLOWLY. I could probably be back to work at a desk job but maybe even only part time not full time. Still no lifting for another 2 weeks at least. No sex, no swimming, no running. I can walk about 20-30 minutes slowly but then i am sore and pooped out.

Hope that helps a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Hiya kd962001,
I am 6 weeks and 5 days post op from a TAH/BSO. I am 32. I was pretty sick from everything for a good while before surgery - most this year so I think maybe I am a bit slow in recovery because of that.

Tired is no joke. It happens out of no where and fast. Hurting happens. Swelling belly happens. But I can tell you most seriously that every week is a success -- every week I see and feel my progress!!!

I had never had surgery before this and while I never ever want to be in a hospital again, I am glad I did it. All that pain I had before is gone and my life is awaiting me.
Good luck and best of wishes.
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Let me preface my statements with the fact that I am a quick healer. That being said, I had a SAH on August 11th to remove a 5 lb, 17 cm fibroid. Thirty-nine staples to close me up. My doc told me to expect to use all 8 weeks to recover. No one ever really wants their doctor to be wrong, but I have to say that mine was and I couldn't be more thrilled. After 2 days I was off of pain meds; after 2 weeks I was feeling fantastic and could have been able to work a desk job, had I had one. At four weeks, I am doing housework, although no heavy lifting, and no hands and knees floor scrubbing. Only light vacuuming and slowly. I've been driving since week 3 and able to grocery shop (although I don't push the cart if it's full). I am still baby-ing myself a bit, but really doing so much better than I had thought I would (and was told I would). It's
critical that you take into account your own limitations, pain tolerance, etc. We are all different and all heal differently. I had also had 3 c-sections so perhaps that accounts for my success - although my sections were all bikini cuts and my hyst was a vertical cut. Anyway, since I was pleasantly surprised by my experience, I wanted to share and tell you that I hope yours goes well for you too. Best wishes!
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Thank you to everyone for your info and well wishes.
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM

I am 2 weeks post-op from TAH today. I am feeling so much better each day. I get tried easily but can clean house (have not vaccumed) and bending over still hurts some. I really expected to be out for the 6 weeks like doc said - but I won't be. I am not working right now but I could if I had a job. Just have to be careful about lifting things to heavy and over doing it for a couple more weeks. It really depends on you - and if you have any complications.

Prayers to you and your decision.
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:15 AM

I had a TAH/BSO in May and it took me 7 to 8 weeks to return to work (desk job). I now feel great and except for my scar it's hard to remember all that I went through leading up and after surgery.
Unread 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM

My two cents - I am currently 2 1/2 wks post op. Surgery (TAH) on Wed, home on Friday. Friday thru Sunday I was slowwww moving. Monday we drove two hours to our weekend house and stayed there for 1 1/2 wks. The drive was fine - slept thru half of it. I was sleeping normally and off all pain meds Monday (5 days post op) and have been ever since. I was walking around, again slowly. Went for a massage and pedicure 2 wks post op. By the end of week one, I felt great. Was helping my DH with his job - computer work only - starting that Monday (5 days post) and ever since then, just for a few hours. Sitting is fine - I don't nap. Have been out watering my garden every evening. No lifting!

All in all, it depends on what you are asking. How long will you need someone actually WITH you, I would say a minimum of one week. I also have had 2 c-sections, so as other sisters have said, that may have helped with my recovery. You really cannot lift anything, so you may need someone with you longer than that.

As everyone has said all folks are different. Maybe go over to the post op threads, recoveries, and see how everyone is doing. As far as my fellow end of August sisters it appears that I am ahead of where most of them are - but it also could be those that are having issues are the only ones posting at the moment. Reading other sisters progress reports may give you an idea - an average perhaps. Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register