Belly Wrap for LSH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly Wrap for LSH? Belly Wrap for LSH?

Unread 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Belly Wrap for LSH?

Hi All, Does every kind of hysterectomy benefit from one of those belly wraps? even if it is all laparascopic? My waist sure isn't bikini material and not even sure one would fit, let alone be needed. Any LSH experienced people know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Re: Belly Wrap for LSH?

Gardener04!

I didn't personally try a binder, hopefully you will hear from some ladies who did. I can say that I did a fair amount of 'pillow hugging' in the first while, but I think it was more because I felt vulnerable (I have two kitties!) and the pillow offered protection as well as abit of stability.

I actually bought myself a wonderful pillow for a "Happy Hysterectomy" gift to myself. It is firm but wonderfully soft to the touch, and comforting. My DH calls it my Healing Pillow, because while I was initially healing it never left my side.

Wishing you the very best with your surgery next week, and all the best for an excellent recovery!

Unread 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Welcome Gardner!

I had a LSH in March. I did not use a binder, and in all honesty I don't think I would have liked it if I had one. I had three incisions, one the belly button, and two a couple inches above my pubic bone (I have added so a bikini cut wouldn't work for me) whatever I wore on my belly had to either rest above my belly button (pajama pants) or have my panties be at my bikini line. And that wasn't long.

I did use a pillow to provide support with getting up and down. Other then that I was fine, oh yeah and the coughing or sneezing.

Good luck to you, hopefully you have as fast of a recovery as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM

Many people have mentioned a pillow is needed. Really?
Unread 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM

You need it for support. Much like when you injure your shoulder. You were a sling to help your shoulder recover and not be stressed trying to support your arm. (Hope that makes sense.)
If you don't want to use a pillow, then I'd suggest maybe the belly band.
Unread 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM

OK, Thanks! I think I am going to try the pillow route. There is so much unknown out there. I am thankful for everyone's advice and info.
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM

You are very welcome! Yes there is alot of unknown, even being wheeled into the OR, things can change. Read all you can, without freaking yourself out. I wanted to be prepared for anything. I figured I'd be out 4-6 weeks. I was working part time at 2 weeks post-op, and the last pain pill I took was 5 days post-op because I had to walk for our Easter service, I wouldn't have taken one otherwise.
Good Luck to you...
Unread 09-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Hi,

I highly suggest an abdominal binder if you are experiencing incision pain or abdominal pain after surgery..

I am 1 wk post op from a daVinciLSH. I went home on a Saturday and my stomach felt like it was just falling. I walked around with my hand supporting my stomach when ever I moved. Sleeping was terrible and worthless. My mom and some friends had mentioned panty girdles, and binding the stomach with fabric, I went to my post op dr's appointment on Tuesday and asked her about binding my stomach. She suggested an abd binder, medical store grade-4 panel (it goes from under the breast to my hips, I'm 5ft1) I went to the specialty medical needs store where the lady actually took one out of the box, my dr. had called her, it was a medium- I thought I would need a large, but she wrapped it around me outside of my clothes just so I could feel it and see how it went....IT FELT LIKE HEAVEN!!! I had walked around for 4 days feeling like my insides were splashing against my abdominal walls experiencing shooting pain in my incisions sites (I had 6) and suddenly I felt held together, no more "splashing"

I wore it to bed that night and was able to sleep. Getting in and out of bed was so much easier with it on. Not sure how to explain it, like when you get up out of bed you have to contact your stomach muscles so hard to sit up, but you can't b/c they are just not working, but with the binder on it was like the binder was partially contracting my muscles just from being snug, so I only had to contract them just a little bit on my own.

Since then when I'm at home, sitting upright, like now at the computer I leave it off, but if I'm going to be moving around or lying down I will put it on.

I could have saved a few bucks and bought one from the local chain pharmacy but those were 3 panel and it would have started at the curve of my waistline and the top rim would have been on my top incision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register