Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary? Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary?

Unread 09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Questions sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary?

I'm confused about what will happen to my body hormone wise for a few reason; 6 days ago I had a hyster due to the discovery via ultra sound (during a ER visit) that I had a pelvic mass the size of an orange in my L ovary. The pelvic and abdominal pain had started 2 weeks prior. I was scheduled the next morning to have the mass removed. Before surgery the OBGYN stated that the L ovary would most likely have to be removed, and asked if I wanted tubal ligation as well. I OK'd both procedures as I no longer wanted to take the pill and did not desire any more children. Once in surgery they discovered my uterus was riddled with fibroid's and an ectopic pregnancy to boot! Needless to say, my uterus, L ovary and ectopic pregnancy (of course) were removed. From reading the posts here I'm assuming I will have early menopause (surgical menopause?) and need HRT even though I still have my R ovary? I have my follow up appointment with the gyno this monday, so I know I'll get the scoop then. But for know I'd like some kind of direction. The gyno explained what exactly had been done and what I was to expect to my BF while I was in recovery, but I heard something completely different from her when I came to. Problem being I was in a haze due to all the anesthesia and pain killers. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Re: Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary?

Hello!

I hope your recovery is going well. It sounds like you've been through a lot in a short period of time.

Since you were able to keep an ovary, you aren't in surgical menopause. One ovary can produce enough hormones to keep menopause symptoms away but if your ovary is "sleepy" post-op, it might take a while before it kicks in to full production.

It's normal in the early weeks of recovery to have hormone fluctuations. If you're really bothered by menopause symptoms, let your doctor know. Your doctor may be willing to prescribe hormone therapy to help. You might want to start keeping a journal of any symptoms you experience. Share it with your doctor and discuss options for managing them, either with hormone therapy or other supplements if you prefer to avoid hormones.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Unread 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM

Thank you april dawn! I'm obviously uneducated about this whole process.
The only thing I know for sure, (I think) since I no longer have a uterus is I won't be having any more periods and will no longer have to take the pill. That's a blessing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM

You're very welcome!

Never hesitate to ask questions. Chances are there are others who are wondering the same things! We're all learning from each other on this site.

I checked your Member Survey which indicates that you did not have your cervix removed. It's possible, since you still have an ovary and your cervix, that you may experience what is known as mini periods. Not everyone who keeps the cervix plus one or both ovaries does, but it can happen. I just wanted to share that information so you'll be prepared for that possibility.

Unread 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Yes, I still have my cervix, but I was unaware that you could still have any sort of period sans the uterus. You know with the whole shedding of the uterine lining thing. Learn something new everyday!
I've already compiled a page worth of questions and concerns for my OBGYN next week. I'll feel a whole lot better once I have the low down.
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Re: Questions sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary?

My apologies for the spelling and grammar errors in my initial post! I'll blame it on the meds and early morning fogs. Ugh.
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi ckllr,

I had similar surgery as you many years ago. I was 32 at the time.
I had my uterus, cervix and all but a small wedge of my left ovary removed. My right ovary had been removed 10 years prior, due to a large cyst.
I got along fine for about 8 years and then had to start on a low dose of HRT because the small wedge, just was not producing enough of what I neeed. I have been on the low dose HRT for 18 years now.
I believe now I am entering in Perimenopause ( 58 years old ) and experiencing minor problems with balancing my hormones.
With you having the whole ovary, hopefully you will get along just.
Wishing you well and a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Wink - Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary? Re: Questiond sbout HRT & Surgical menopause when I still have one ovary?

Hi
I went into surgical menopause about 2 months after surgery. They left 1 ovary and told me in should work. I thought it would not. I cannot be on HRT because it gives me noduals on my breast. I had to have a in hospital lumpectomy and was told to NOt be on hRt due to possible breast cancer. I have been using Estravan ( multi vit w/ herbs) I am 35 yrs old and have pretty bad mood swings hot flashes. all and all do able.

80sfan
LAVH
endo. adeno. fibroids
poly cystic. and now menapause
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Wow, I had no idea you could have part of an ovary removed!
I thought it was the whole kit and caboodle or nothing. Interesting.

You would think after all my anatomy classes I would have a better understanding of female bits-n-pieces.
Interestingly enough, I always scored higher on my tests concerning the male reproductive system. Maybe that's why I'm in this mess to begin with! Haha.

Here's hoping my one ovary is a trooper and will step up to the plate.
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi 80's fan,
So I'm assuming they took your cervix?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register