How do I know if the dose I have is right? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I know if the dose I have is right? How do I know if the dose I have is right?

Unread 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM
How do I know if the dose I have is right?

I am 3 weeks post-op for a complete abdominal hysterectomy including removal of both ovaries and tubes. I have had difficulty in finding a bHRT that is a good match.

In the hospital, I was given Climara 0.05 patch and it seemed to work really well. When I got home, the pharmacy gave me the generic equivalent to the Climara patch and I had a horrible allergic reaction to the soy-based component. (I have a pre-existing soy allergy.) After speaking to my doctor he said he would write me for "brand medically necessary" but I was already afraid of the soy. So, he has put me on Vivelle Dot 0.05 and I have been taking that since Monday. It does not seem to be helping as much as the Climara did, I am having headaches and insomnia, both of which went away when I was on Climara and came back when I went off, and so far have not improved since being on Vivelle Dot.

So, I guess my question is, how long do I wait to see if the Vivelle Dot is "working"? Or how do I know if I need a higher dose? Or does anyone out there with a soy allergy take Climara? I read some things that say it should be ok, but the generic definitely was not ok.

Thank you so much!

LivingForJesus

Gospel-driven Christian. Coffee and Chocolate Lover. Gluten Free Baker. Knitter. Blogger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Re: How do I know if the dose I have is right?

Hi

It can take up to 6 weeks to recieve the full benefit from a dose or product change in HRT.

One thing you may be experiencing though, is that your body may be running out of the estrogen it had stored up before your ovaries were removed. Some women deplete these stores immediately, some women take weeks or even months. During the time that your body is depleting these stores though, you can experience fluctuations which maight be causing your headaches (if they are caused by hormone fluctuations). You should speak with your Dr about these headaches so he/she can make a decision concerning them.

Insomnia, unfortunately, is a very common symptom following this surgery. I seriously struggled with it for about a year, but found that melatonin helped. It did finally subside. You might want to check out the Post Op forum to see how others in recovery are managing their insomnia. You might find some ideas you will want to try.

I have used both the Climara and the Vivelle Dot. I do not have a soy allergy, but preferred the V dot because it felt like I was getting a much more even dose. I suppose that is because it was changed twice a week. It also didn't cause me a rash like the Climara did, but I do have adhesive allergies.

I would suggest that you give the Vivelle Dot a little more time before deciding that it doesn't work. The worst thing you can do right now is change brands too frequently, and not give your body time to adjust to one particular kind.

I wish you the best.

Kay
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Hi LivingForJesus,

I am not sure if this will work for you or not in regards to insomnia. My father has Parkinson's Disease. One of the symptoms of Parkinson's is insomnia. He used to struggle with it until he started eating yogurt with freshly grounded flaxseed before he went to bed. He does this 30 minutes before bedtime.

I hope this helps! Let me know if this works or not.

By the way, I like your username.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Ditto what Kay said. It takes a while for your body to adjust. You may have to go up on your dose. Your age, weight, and physical activity play a role in how much estrogen you will eventually need. But, give yourself time in between each adjustment. I was not patient in the beginning. I wanted balance now! It didn't happen.

Progesterone helped me with insomnia in the beginning. :O)

Love the username!!! Hugs!!
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Thank you so much for all your help. Being patient is hard, in so many ways I feel incredible (especially the being out of pain part) but I guess I wasn't ready for these new challenges... I was ready for hot flashes and they have been relatively manageable.

I am thankful that I can fully trust that this is all in God's perfect plan for me, this trial is being used to grow me in endurance and perseverance (James 1:2-4) and that its perfect result in my being conformed to the image of Christ (Romans 8:28-29).

I am going to give the yogurt and flax seed a try... can't hurt, and sounds yummy!

Have a blessed week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register