Causes of Vaginal Vault Prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Causes of Vaginal Vault Prolapse Causes of Vaginal Vault Prolapse

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Causes of Vaginal Vault Prolapse

I'm just curious...has anyone had a vaginal vault prolapse, but still had their uterus? Everything I have read talks about that happening after a hysterectomy. Thanks ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Re: Causes of Vaginal Vault Prolapse

Flute -

Here's my take on your question. Prior to a hysterectomy what women would experience is a uterine prolapse. There are many women who have those. A vaginal vault is created after the hysterectomy when the cervix is removed and that space is sewn shut so that's why you would hear of it post-hysterectomy.

G.
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Of course you can have a vaginal vault prolapse with your uterus still intact. This is the reason many people have a hyster. There are several things that lead to this. Child birth, lifting, straininig, less hormones, etc. When you have cystocele, rectocele, enterocele and vaginal prolapse all these things cause the vaginal vault prolapse. You can have a hyster and have everything repaired at the same time. Are you having a sacracolpopexy to repair your vaginal vault prolapse? Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Brichey, I am having a hysterectomy and sacral colpopexy. My urodynamic study showed that I will leak when everything is back in its "proper" place, so I will be getting some type of sling. Did you have this surgery?
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM

Flute -

You may find this link helpful on various prolapses:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/vagin...article_em.htm

G.
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I did not need the sling, but had the other plus some rectal surgery. It is great not having the prolapse any more. I would definitely do it again.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM

That is good to hear! I don't expect it to be easy, but I would like it to be worth it. Take care--
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:53 PM

I am having a hysterectomy on the 3oth for uterine prolapse. And bladder repair. I was told to get the sling for preventative because no one has determined that I would leak after ward. I am going to wait and see if I can try pelvic therapy or something else first. I too am hoping that this decision is worth it!
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM

I did not think the pain was bad. I had more problems with the rectal surgery. It was a 12 week recovery for me, though I went back to work after 7 weeks with restrictions. Sex is great and I feel great. Good luck.
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM

I am post op (Sept 30th) from my hysterectomy and chose not to get the sling. I do not have Incontinence at this point in my healing. Just wanted to update on that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register