Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Pilates

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?! Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?!

Unread 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?!

I'd like to hear from women on here who are post op and have staring to get back into pilates. When I search "pilates" most of the posts are 2-5 yrs old!

It'll be several weeks till I can forged ahead with my 5+ day regimen. I can't wait to start toning and stretching again.
I feel so doughy and out of shape (my big ol' prego-like belly is not helping matters either) and it's only been a week and a half since my last workout I miss it so much!

I was at an advanced level before the surgery, but know I'll have to work my way slowly back up the that.

In my shortsightedness, I got rid of all my level one DVD's. Would love to hear your progress and any great Pilates DVD's for beginners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Re: Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?!

ckllr
Hi! I was happy to find your post!! I am 4 weeks post op from a TAH I was never a big exercise fiend however when I would work out pilates was what I loved to do. I'm dying to start a new life and get my body in shape. I've lost 17 lbs since my surgery and am excited to not only keep it off but to find my "new body" Any suggestions you might have I would gratefully appreciate
Live Love Laugh
Sheryl
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi Sheryl,

Well Thank god!
I was beginning to think that no one out of the thousands here were itching to get on with with an exercise program.
Congratulations of losing the weight. That's quite the accomplishment after such a short period of time. Keep it up!

So to address your question, start slow. The issue with pilates (which was the best part of it pre surgery) is how core-centric it is.

What I would avoid is any of the specific ab dvd's right off. Good ones to start with are the mari winsor basics series, Ellen Croft, or even some easier yoga videos (even though I can't stand yoga). Since you mentioned you've done a bit of pilates these may be too easy?
On that note I was pretty advanced. At this point I can barely do the modified versions (very frustrating!).
But, I'm finding the upper body and legs to be doable for the most part. That's were I would suggest you start.
If you have the time take some classes be very specific with the instructor about were your at fitness wise and how you're healing. She/he may be able to point you in a good direction (modifications, certain classes etc.) so as not to injure yourself.

Since I can't do too much ab stuff, I've been trying to supplement core work with pelvic tilts and kegels. I do notice my abs responding and hopefully within a few weeks I can graduate to the hundred with my legs in an actual 45 degree position as opposed to bent. Ha!

I hope my suggestions can lead you in the right direction.
Please keep me posted on your progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Hi Carina,
Thanks for your advice! I will def. keep them in mind. (the videos) I am going to my dr. thurs. for my post op check up and I will ask him about exercise. Today I'mm feeling tired and sore I'm assuming its from the rain (damp and cold and rainy here in NJ). Hoping I have more energy tomorrow.
Please let me know how your progress is going as well. I see you had your hysterectomy 10 days after mine and you sound like you are doing great!
Huggs
Sheryl
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Hi Sheryl,

Not sure if you noticed the advertisement on this page, but Mari Winsor has a new pilates system (I'm a sucker for new equipment and DVD's)!
here's the link http://www.winsorslim.com/
if it doesn't show, due to hyperlink issues with the site it can be googled at mari winsor slimming pilates.
Keep me posted on what your dr. suggests.

Carina~
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM

I've never tried Pilates, never exercised for exercise sake, but have always been strong, moving around, doing things. The core is what really sounds great to me, although I know my "innards" are not quite healed enough for the strain. Would you advise starting with an instructor, or can I do it on my own with a DVD? By the way, I'm 63, still gorgeous , but trying to relocate my waist.
Unread 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi Cheryl!
63 and gorgeous you go girl!!!! I'm no expert thats for sure but I would recommend easy workouts, maybe pilates for beginners. I am def. no expert thats for sure. I know I only want to get really fit now that I feel like I've been given a new beginning. Having a hard time finding time which I know sounds like a very sorry excuse but I'm looking for a job (was laid off) went back to college and finding it hard and giving almost all my spare time to doing homework. I need to better manage mytime thats for sure
Also I'd talk to your doctor before starting any exercise routine.
Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing
Huggs
Sheryl
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Thumbs up - Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?! Re: Noticed very few new pilates posts! Pilates lovers, where are you?!

I"ve started my research on Pilates. I found a good site and was actually able to sign up for 7 days of free email instructions for beginners. This type of exercise sounds like it will exactly suit me by strengthening the core. I'll try some DVD's from the library and use the rug in front of the TV as a mat. I know I'll have to go slowly, but I'm really excited. Thank you for your advice. Let's keep posting.

http://pilates.about.com/od/gettings.../BasicInfo.htm
Unread 11-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Hi Ladies.

Thanks for posting. I had a SAH 1/2010 and my belly is still huge. I have never been someone into exercising and very much over weight before the surgery even after I lost 30 lbs., but it seems as if my stomach got larger after the surgery (my DH agrees). Was wondering if pilates would help me? I am losing weight slowly but seems as if it is in my legs only. Upper body has not caught up with my bottom half therefore my pants has all of this room in the leg area and tight around the waist.

Any suggestions would be a great help. I sit at work all day with the exception of going back and forth to tell my manager the phone is for him or either going to the copier. I to live in NJ - Essex County.
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Any form of exercise will help...esp if you have a desk job.
As I posted before, if you're into pilates or starting a routine, I'd start with the basics ie Mari winsor 20 min workout. I found that when I started pilates 4 years ago I lost 10lbs within a couple of months. Granted I was not overweight but I lost the weight I was uncomfortable with and toned everything up. It also made me way more flexible and I felt taller (with a petite 5'4 I felt taller as well, which I would say was due to improved posture via pilates.

Hope this helps? Please let me know if I can make any more suggestions

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register