kids husbands and pets. YIKES - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

kids husbands and pets. YIKES kids husbands and pets. YIKES

Unread 11-11-2001, 09:21 AM
kids husbands and pets. YIKES

I can really relate to what you are saying. When my DS was in first grade I started seeing news reports on 20/20, 60 min. ect about ADHD and saying to myself that was my son on the TV. The school never mentioned to me about it so I contacted his DR and had him tested. After a few months what I had feared was true. We had always had problems with him since he was about 3 years old but I thought it was just his age and that he would out grow it, nope. Now after 4 years we still try different things.
I have tried behavior modification but like you said Dany
he "couldn't focus long enough to LISTEN".During the summer we do gave him a break from the meds. He plays peewee football and so it helps him with anger management. This year he wanted to try and go to school without his meds but that didn't work out and even he admitted that he still needs it. I am lucky that this year he has a good teacher that is willing to help give me feedback to how his meds are working. Like I said his grades are very low with F's D's and C's and have always been that way even with meds. Last year I had him tested for learning disabilities because they also run in my family and every teacher would ask if would allow him to be tested and I always said"YES", in the end they never would. The test showed he is very smart but that he learns in a more visual way but he doesn't have learning disabilities. To me if he has to be taught differently then the other students he has a learning disability. That was in the beginning of the school last year but have they changed the way they help him learn the answer is "NO". It seems that a child has to be have excessive problems or are extremely bright in the schools here in order for the school to help them. I am contacting my US Rep to find out what they are doing for kids who have ADHD and seem to have no help from the school district. So far my youngest DS seems very bright so I hope this is a one time battle for me but that it will help others in his school district with kids with ADHD. I too believe that this a lifelong problem that in time they learn to control themselves hopefully with out meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2001, 12:37 PM
Arrow - kids husbands and pets. YIKES Try this...

Hi Kat! (Here we go...talking to ourselves, again! *giggle*) Here is a small suggestion that MAY help with changing things around at school.

I discovered I could get more assistance with Nikki, if I also had a psychologist in addition to her regular pediatrician. Some do not recognize a diagnosis for ADHD or ADD by a medical Doctor...and require it done so by a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Best Wishes!
Unread 11-11-2001, 01:13 PM

Hi Kat,
Yep we are talking to ourselves again. I do that allot Last year when they tested him they had all kinds of people involved from a social worker to the school district psychiatrist, with input from the principle, teacher, nurse and the resource teacher. They all had praises to say about Rob, but offer nothing to help him. At least they didn't say he was lazy he just learns differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2001, 06:13 AM

Hi everyone

Just a quick question as I have read through the last few posts. Neither of my kids have ADD, but as a parent and citizen you hear about it all the time. Is it a new thing , with more children having it, or was it under diagnosed when we were children?

It just seems that so many children suffer from it!

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!

I go back to work tomorrow BOO HOO :cry:

Unread 11-12-2001, 08:06 PM

Hi Cath

ADHD is not new, it's been around... for ever and recognized as a neurological imbalance for quite a while. There are several reasons why, it seems, there are more children/people (adults too) diagnosed with the condition than there used to be.

1) Yes, they are much more efficient at diagnosing it. And teachers and care givers are getting more efficient at identifying the children who are at risk.

2) Until the end of the last Century, ADHD-inattentive sub-type (the Absent-minded Professor type) was not recognized as ADHD. In fact, back then, it was called Hyperactivity. It is only within the past 20 years that they've realized that it is one and the same, with different symptoms. Because of this, girls are now diagnosed in larger numbers as well as teenagers (the inattentive sub-type tends to surface in the teen years, whereas the hyperactive sub-type is more evident in younger children).

3) Until VERY recently, the medical community thought that children out-grew ADHD, therefore older teens and young adults would be more likely to be diagnosed with bi-polar disorder.

4) There IS a larger proportion of North American who have ADHD than there used to be. That is very easily explained: ADHDers have been reproducing for centuries. Also, while the ADHD symptoms might have been very mild in, lets say, my grand-father (don't know if either had the condition), it is getting stronger and stronger through the generations. Hence, even though mine is rather mild, my son and nephew are more severely affected. Because of this, while it was easy for my teachers to discount me as "being always in the moon", it is not so easy to discount my very disruptive son or my very inattentive nephew.

Hope this helps shed some on the situation.

BTW, I'm not an expert in the field, just had to learn a lot in order to be able to help my son.
Unread 11-13-2001, 05:51 AM
Wow

Hey Dany you sound pretty knowledgeable to me. Thanks for the incite. I had always wondered about that . The other one I wonder about is Peanut Allergies. It seems that so many children have them now.

Have a safe trip to London and Toronto! I wish I could have met you

Unread 11-13-2001, 05:19 PM

I noticed the peanut thing too, Cath. I think now that more foods are made or processed with or near peanut oil...that more allergies are developing. Did you know that some allergies are formed inutero?

Another reason (and a very important one to me!!) ADD and ADHD (one is without hyperactivity symptoms and one with) is more recognized, is that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is fully effective and in full force...and everyone recognizes ALL disabilities more, now! I remember when I was young and my mom was deaf (still is...pre implant, I mean!) and we would get the weirdest looks and stares and people JUST DID NOT KNOW! Now though, people will ask me if I know sign language, will strike up conversations and ask me questions (which most disabled would LIKE for you to do, if you are curious or have questions!) and so on...
Unread 11-14-2001, 10:35 AM

Thanks Kat

I will keep that in mind!!!!!!!!!

Unread 11-17-2001, 09:03 AM

Thanks Kat for the information: I really wish I knew sign language, since one of my kids' friend's parents are both deaf. I don't know the father very well, but I know the mother and feel so helpless that I can't communicate very effectively with her. She's a very nice woman and the little boy is a very nice little boy, well liked in the neighborhood.

I think that it is soooo wonderful that people are more aware of disabilities and how to help people with them. Unfortunately, the problem with ADHD is that, most of the time, the kids are just labeled poorly behaved and the parents as un-responsible parents

Unfortunately, in Canada, we do not have any legislations such as IDEA to help us out. Which makes awareness a lot less noticeable in our country. Hopefully, we are making baby steps in that direction.

BTW, I knew that allergies were formed in utero. I think that another factor is the fact that we inherit tendencies to have allergies, not the allergy itself. Since, like ADHD, more and more parents with allergies are having babies, both the tendency to have allergies AND the severity of the allergies are increasing.
Unread 11-17-2001, 10:02 AM
Thumbs up - kids husbands and pets. YIKES kids husbands and pets. YIKES

Hey Dany!!

I bet YOU are JUST THE PERSON to start up something and get the groups and legislation there, in Canada!!!!

Go for it, Girl!!

Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register