Magnesium Level or Low Estrogen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium Level or Low Estrogen Magnesium Level or Low Estrogen

Unread 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Magnesium Level or Low Estrogen

Hi Everyone ,
How do you know if you are getting enough magnesium ?
The reason for asking is that I just realized that some of the symptoms I have been experiencing where I thought it might be too low of my estrogen level, can also apply to a low magnesium level as well. I have been experiencing tingling ( skin crawling ) in my legs, headaches every day, and at times, a rapid heartbeat ( especially in the mornings upon wakening ).
I eat healthy, take calcium that contains magnesium.
But how do I know if that is enough ? I don't want to take too much. I have been assuming that along with the foods I eat, I was getting enough. Now I'm not too sure.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Re: Magnesium Level or Low Estrogen

I'm not sure how you'd know other than by trial and error. For me, I found that when I was told to increase my calcium intake to 1,200 mg per day, I had to take an additional 250 mg magnesium supplement. I didn't realize that calcium and magnesium sort of work in tandem...with too much calcium as compared to the magnesium level, I started having calf cramps at night and most scary, heart palpitations. I also get the tingling in my scalp and feet...mostly on the left side for some reason. Not sure the magnesium increase helped that...but I can tell you that towards the end of my patch "life" (about day 2 1/2 of my Vivelle Dot), I start feeling it again. That it goes away after I change my patch tells me that it's my estrogen level....but that may not be the case for you.

It's tough to know if you are taking the right supplements...and even if you are, if you're absorbing them properly. I try to get what I can via food but I know that my diet just isn't perfect!!
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I am doing the same as far as the calcium is concerned.
I take 1200 mg a day. Mine has magnesium in it, but only 100 mg total.
I also get the tingling on my scalp and also in my legs, with periodic leg cramps.

What I do find confusing though ,is when I wear the patch on my right side, I do not seem to have as many problems.
But when I have to change my patch and re-position it on my left side, that when the tingling starts. I also find myself a little weepy when I wear the patch on the left side verses the right.
Right now the patch is on my left side and I had blah kinda day.
Tomorrow I change the patch back to the right side so I am going to pay close attention to how I feel for the next 3 days.

I am thinking about taking and extra magnesium supplement just to see if it helps. I don't think it could hurt.
Like yourself, I want to make sure I am getting the proper amount of everything I need. I do not want to out balance one thing for another.
I'm fearful of creating more problems.
Thanx for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM

I never thought to pay attention to any differences right to left side....although obviously I realize that I am absorbing more by placing the patch on my backside rather than the front. Now I'll have to pay attention!

I'm not sure what the optimal ratio of calcium to magnesium is...somewhere on these boards posted it once...I'll have to do a search to see if I can find it.
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:03 AM

Good Morning Red 1964,

It is strange that changing from one side to the other can make a difference.
I cannot wear the patch on my abdomen at all.
It just doesn't seem to work for me there.
It was just a fluke that I realized right cheek verse left cheek also makes a difference. It was like one week I was feeling really good, calm relaxed, slept well and then all of a sudden everything came back, tingling weepy, nervous.
I started thinking about what I did that was so different from the week before. The only thing I came up with was the location of the patch. I am still in the process of trying to find a happy medium.
I believe I may be at the onset of menopause.
I had my hysterectomy at age 32 where they left a small wedge of an ovary to produce hormones. But by the time I reached 40 it wasn't enough so I was put on .05 Vivelle Dot.
So for 18 years I was going along rather well.
This year, BOOM !!
I started having problems. I think at the beginning, I had too much estrogen in my system based by what I was reading were the symptoms. So I am in the process of adjusting my dose to try and find an even keel .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register