Pre-Cancer: adenocarcenoma in situ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenocarcenoma in situ adenocarcenoma in situ

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
adenocarcenoma in situ

I am soon to be scheduled for hysterectomy. Had a cone with negative margins in June The Dr. said I a cured now but it could come back and it cold come back worse next time. Is this true> I do not understand this disease at all? Ayone else with this issue? I need tomake peace with this,. Amie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Re: adenocarcenoma in situ

Did the doctor recommend you come in for paps more frequently? If not, that is something I would ask him about. Usually when they catch it in situ they will have you return in either 3 or 6 months and follow you a little more closely. Yes, the abnormal cells can return, but if you are vigilant on your exams and paps, it should be caught early.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply-well I asked about more frequent paps and he said they could miss the bad cells on a pap so I need the surgery. I guess the pap is not fool proof with this disease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM

No, unfortunately its not. I was also told that it could be missed, but the new liquid paps (can't recall their proper name) are said to be more accurate than the scrape pap. Each person is different and must make the best decision for themselves and their health.

One of the biggest reasons to hold back on a hyster is fertility. However, if you are done having children it might be a better option. Some women take the "wait and see" approach and then, if it comes back, go for the hyster. The good news is that this isn't a decision you have to make today. You have time to do your research and evaluate your situation/options.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:57 AM

(((amila)))

Yes, adenocarcinoma can be missed on routine screenings. Have you consulted a gyn/onc (gynecological oncologist)? They are the experts for gyn cancer/pre-cancers, and you want the best for your health. It's always a good idea to get a second opinion, anyway!

Hang in there, sweetie!
monami
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:24 PM

The liquid paps are supposed to be better at catching cervical cancers, and for the most part they are. But according to my gyn-onc, AIS/adenocarcinoma is one of the ones that it has a hard time picking up (I have read it catches only 50% of adenocarcinomas) since it can hide further up in the endocervix. The day I had my punch biopsy that caught my AIS, I also had a pap. The biopsy was positive for AIS and the pap was normal. I don't trust paps to catch AIS anymore!

Once you feel your family is complete, a hysterectomy is usually the best course of action for AIS to prevent further recurrence. My gyn-onc was fine with waiting a year or more to perform my hyst, but I was ready then and there to have it done. I was supposed to have it done in February but it is postponed until after October now. Talk with your doc and find out what he recommends...getting a second opinion can be helpful too.

Good luck and many hugs through this journey!
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Thanks to all who replied! It has been a long difficult journey. I have seen 4 drs. already including one gyn oncl and they ALL recommended hyst. I just hope it its true that it can come back because if I am sure of that, I will feel at peace. I think my hyst will be in Nov and Dec. (TLH). I have one of the best lapro gynos around doing the surgery. I already did my homework. The only thing is since there is a hysterectomy epidemic in this country I want to be sure all these drs. are telling me the truth! So, it can come back? Amila. Love you all!
Unread 09-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, it can come back and it can be difficult to catch (because Paps don't always catch it). But no doctor can tell you 100% that it will, which is why a hysterectomy is recommended. I too was hesitant at agreeing to one at first as well, but after research and talking with my gyn-onc and gyn knew it was the best course of action for me and my family.

So glad you found this site! Hope your surgery goes well.
Unread 09-26-2010, 11:18 AM

2x survivior- how did you decide that? Because it can come back? How are you doing now? amila
Unread 09-26-2010, 03:49 PM

(FYI, children and pregnancy are mentioned below)

I decided last year to have a hysterectomy after lots of research and discussions with my doctors prior to the conization and lots of soul searching after. I had thyroid cancer several years ago and lived for a long time with that cancer hanging over my head. Even though I had a good prognosis, it was a horrible way to live and I have no desire to live that way again. A few things scared me about this particular cervical cancer: a) that is can be aggressive b) that it can be difficult to catch and c) that it can spread through skip lesions. All that leads to bad news. And top that with the fact that there is a possibility of recurrence is not something I personally want to mess with.

My conization was last November and I was ready at my first post-op to schedule the hysterectomy. My gyn-onc wanted me to wait at least 6 months because when I'd first gone in, my husband and I had been trying to conceive a third child (but first biological, our first 2 were adopted). But while healing from the conization, we both felt such peace about our family and that the hyst was right. So my gyn-onc agreed to schedule it for February 11th, but I had to call and cancel the procedure exactly 2 weeks prior because I learned I was pregnant. It was as much of a shock to us as could be...since I was preparing for the surgery, being intimate had been on the bottom of our list. But God had another plan for our family and he'll be arriving in about 10 days!

So I have yet to have the hysterectomy, but am prepared to go for it as soon as I can. As exciting as it's been to be expecting this child, it's been difficult to think that I could be growing a baby AND cancer at the same time. I've had a few Paps throughout the pregnancy, but as I said before, I just don't trust those for me and this cancer. I've been down this road before, and it was not fun. I have so much to live for and having cancer in the background is not part of that plan. So for me, the sooner I can get that hysterectomy done, the better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register