TAH/LSO 4 days ago & feeling great!!Kids mentioned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/LSO 4 days ago & feeling great!!Kids mentioned TAH/LSO 4 days ago & feeling great!!Kids mentioned

Unread 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
TAH/LSO 4 days ago & feeling great!!Kids mentioned

Okay,so I am a 34 yr old mom of three,stepmom of 2,been with my husband for 13 years,married for 9.

I made the decision when I found out I was pregnant with my youngest to have my tubes tied after his birth.That was in 2003.Well,I got my tubes tied and returned to "normal" periods,I noticed that my periods had become very heavy,would last longer & I would get the most awful cramps on the first day that I literally could barely move.Since I really don't like going to the doctor,I just chalked it up to "this is how it's going to be now".And I lived with it for almost 7 years.

Then,earlier this year,out of the blue,I decided to go to my gyno for a checkup.While there,I brought up my painful,heavy periods & my doctor told me I had three options:

1.Wait & see if it would get better.Ummm,I've been waiting almost 7 years & they haven't gotten better,so no.

2.I could go on birth control to correct the problems.I got my tubes tied so I wouldn't need BCP,so again,I said no.

3.I could have an Ablation,which would burn the lining of my uterus,which would/should solve all of my problems.This is the option we went with.

I had my Ablation in February of this year.Granted,my periods did go from 7 days down to 4-5.But I still had the pain,and by August of this year,the pain had gone from the first day to three days.Also,in August,I had 2 cycles!!!I was not happy!

So,I made an appointment with my gyno & filled him in on what was going on.Again,he gave me three options:

1.Wait & see.Nope,not going through that again.

2.Redo the Ablation,which since it would be my 2nd time having one,there was a lower success rate.Duh!NO!

3.Have a Hysterectomy.This was obviously what we decided.

So,I get all my pre-admission testing done,get set to go in on the 21st for my hysto.Hubby & I leave the house a little after 4 AM,to get to the hospital by 5.An hour trip,we get halfway there,only for me to realize I forgot my blood bank bracelet.I was so mad at myself!!!

So,we turn around to go get it,call & leave a message with Pre-op letting them know I would be late,but I was still coming.

Finally get to the hospital,go up to pre-op & get started preparing for my surgery.

The RN getting me ready was named Ron & he was such a sweetheart & so attentive.We talked a lot while he was doing things he needed to do & that really helped calm my nerves.Another sweet thing was that Hubby held my hand & kept pinching my arm(tiny little pinches,they didn't hurt.lol) while Ron was putting my IV in,because he knows I'm scared of needles.

Get to the "Holding Room" and Ron was still with me.Even got me a warm blanket from the warmer,since it's so cold back there.I decided to try to rest,since I had gotten very little sleep the night before.It was a good thing too,because the Anasthesiologist was late.

So,they get me all "drugged up" with an epidural in my back & I promptly passed out.LOL.Don't remember anything till I woke up in recovery,feeling as if I couldn't breathe!!!I have never been so scared in my life!!!!Got calmed down from that & started crying.Not screaming,or sobbing,just quietly crying & couldn't stop.No clue why,I guess it was just all the emotions & stress of the day.All I know is I cried-A LOT!!

They brought me back to my room & I don't remember a lot for about the first hour.I do remember moving all the blankets,trying to see my incision,but my belly was in the way,because I had a bikini cut & it was done in a crease,so I couldn't see it.

As soon as I all the way awake & coherent,I started asking my nurse for some ice chips.That was around 11:30.By 5 PM that day,I had moved from ice chips to soft food.I was so hungry!!lol.

It was also around 5 PM that my nurse aide asked if I would like to dangle my legs over the side of the bed.I did that for about 5 minutes,then asked if I could move to the chair beside my bed.She agreed I could try,but said I would have to stay on the bed if I got dizzy,etc.She prepared the chair(so I wouldn't leak all over.I didn't) & I sat there for a bit.

Then I asked if I could try to walk.The nurse aide looked doubtful,but said she would ask my nurse.She went,came back & we did a loop of half the hallway.I was so proud of myself!!!Granted,it was slow-going,but I did it!!!The nurse aide said afterwards that she had worked at the hospital for a year & had NEVER seen somebody get up & walk on the same day of their surgery!!I felt even prouder!!

As we were coming back to my room,the Nutrition lady was rolling the food cart down the hall.The NA told me that if the Nutrition lady tried to give me soft food,to buzz her & she would get me anything I wanted.If I could walk,I could eat regular food.Luckily though,the Nutrition lady listened to me when I said I could have regular food.And how lucky that beef stew was on the menu that night!!!MY favorite!!!

I went for another walk later that night.Nothing was going to make me stay longer than the 2 days my Gyno wanted to keep me,if I could help it!!!

Unfortunately,I just realized how late it is & I need to go switch laundry,so hopefully I can edit this post later with the rest of my story.Otherwise,I'll just start another thread to finish the rest of my story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register