maybe a silly question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

maybe a silly question... maybe a silly question...

Unread 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
maybe a silly question...

okay.. so I had my hysterectomy on the 10th of Sept (Da Vinci) and they removed my cervix and uterus- I am 33 so they left my ovaries in to prevent menopause. My breasts are sore (normally happens before ovulation).. what happens now? Really... what does my body do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Re: maybe a silly question...

I had my TVH on september 9th keeping my one remaining ovary, my surgeon told me I would still get all the symptoms of a period but not the horrendous bleeding and pain. Your body still ovulates each month so you will get all the feelings, symptoms and emotions that go along with that you just do not bleed or get the cramps anymore.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Unread 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Will my body go through a "shock" type period? I had heard... may have not been true.. and of course I know it is different for everyone- but that I would still have some hormone issues? if so, does anyone know what those might entail?
thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

When the blood supply to the ovaries is interrupted during a hysterectomy, they can go into "shock" or "go to sleep" meaning they are not producing adequate hormones causing women experience menopausal symptoms until a new blood supply is established. If you are feeling PMS symptoms, then your ovaries likely did not go into shock and you should be fine.

s
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks ladies..I am just blown away with this whole thing... found out 5 days prior that I had to have the surgery- was just going in for a check before our next IVF cycle- talk about a kick in the gut! Now I feel like my world has just been turned upside down... not to mention we are in the middle of moving.. leaving FL in 8 days, packed out of our house yesterday and are in temp housing right now- I know I am probably pushing myself a bit much but moving and keeping up with a four year old.. it is hard to take it easy...
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:35 AM

I am sorry you had such a shock and hurried surgery. I had my uterus and cervix removed by da Vinci 6 weeks ago tomorrow and kept my ovaries. I had one night (4 nights post op) of really intense night sweats every hour and then it seemed to go back to the normal perimenopause state(I am 47). Now I am noticing some instability in my hormones - maybe getting back on track still? Like acne and my breasts sore off and on more often (but not extreme, if you know what I mean). Weird.

Where is New Braunfels? Take it easy moving, you need to rest while you are recovering so you do not have complications (i.e., adhesions, hernias...).
Unread 09-26-2010, 07:24 AM

TazLover-

How are you feeling 6 weeks out? Hopefully good!! New Braunfels is in Texas, we are heading to Randolph, AFB for a couple of months. The acne and sore breasts are officially showing their faces so maybe hormones are on track...trying my best to take it easy.. it isn't easy for me to have my husband doing all the work! He has so much on his plate with work, move, our son, and along comes me.. and I am not easy.. hahahaha
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM

i have another question: if you are still ovulating and there are no tubes for the eggs to go into - where do they go???? Are they just floating around insdie our bodies?
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenhassinger View Post
Will my body go through a "shock" type period? I had heard... may have not been true.. and of course I know it is different for everyone- but that I would still have some hormone issues? if so, does anyone know what those might entail?
thanks..
I'm 46 years old, and I kept my ovaries and cervix. Right after my post-op appoint (12 days out) I started having terrible hot flashes. I called the doc's office for help, and was told that sometimes your ovaries revolt after surgery. They said to call back if they get worse or don't ease by 6 weeks post-op. They have actually gotten a little better in the last few days, so that is encouraging. I'm not looking forward to menopause!
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedupppet View Post
i have another question: if you are still ovulating and there are no tubes for the eggs to go into - where do they go???? Are they just floating around insdie our bodies?
I want to know the answer to this question too! I wonder if your body just absorbs them somehow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register