Post Hyster 8yrs need direction for treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hyster 8yrs need direction for treatment Post Hyster 8yrs need direction for treatment

Unread 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Post Hyster 8yrs need direction for treatment

Sisters, I need your help! I am post full-hyster 8 yrs. I used the patch immediately after surgeryfor 6 months and quit due to the extreme weight gain, 20lbs in 5 months. Since then I have had no treatment and am suffering. I have talked with my gyn and family dr and both want to put me on hrt again and I refuse. After reading some of the things on this site, Im terribly ashamed to say that I dont know much about my situation except that I forgot to take care of me. Everyday I struggle with hot flashes, confusion, interrupted sleep, vaginal pain, irritabilty, muscle cramps, leg and back pain..and more. I'm interested in the bio-identical treatments. What steps should I take (recommended tests etc..)Is this covered by insurance and how do I know if I'm a good candidate? Should I talk to my dr about this? Thanks for your help sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Re: Post Hyster 8yrs need direction for treatment

Bio-identical hormones are one type of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). Bio-identical means the hormones are the same as your ovaries made. There are many forms of bio-identical HRT including most of the patches (including the Vivelle-dot), Estrace pills, some of the injections and pellets, and many compounded creams, gels, lotions, troches, sublingual drops, etc. Bio-identical hormones can be manufactured (Vivelle-dot, Estrace) or created by a compounding pharmacy. Those manufactured by a drug company are more likely to be covered by your insurance plan. Those created by a compounding pharmacy may or may not be covered, you would need to check with your insurance carrier.

I would recommend you click on the Hormones tab in blue bar at the very top of the screen. Read through the information we have and then sit down and talk to your doctor about your symptoms and your concerns regarding HRT. Your doctor can discuss the various options with you. It would be wise to keep a symptom diary detailing your symptoms along with any medications, supplements, vitamins, etc. that you take.

You may also want to consider looking for a doctor who thoroughly understands hormones to give you anther opinion. One good way to find a doctor knowledgeable about prescribing hormones is to call a compounding pharmacist and ask which doctors use the pharmacy's services. If you don't know of one in your area, use the free locator feature on this site: www.iacprx.org. This doesn't mean that the doctor you find will necessarily prescribe compounded hormones, but a doctor who is aware of the option can be a good one to have working with you on this important aspect of your well-being.

I hope this helps!

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register