anyone using bio-identical hormone replacement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone using bio-identical hormone replacement anyone using bio-identical hormone replacement

Unread 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
anyone using bio-identical hormone replacement

Hi, Just wondering if there is anyone out there using bio-identical hormones?? I'm 6 day post op LAVH BSO. Have they worked well for you?? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Re: anyone using bio-identical hormone replacement

Hi!

Lots of us use bio-identical hormones, including me! I like them very much. They control my menopause symptoms and keep me feeling like me.

Has your doctor prescribed bio-identical hormones for you? If so, what is your dose and what was prescribed--patch, pill or ??

Unread 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM

None prescribed yet. Gettting educated about them. My gyno does not recommend them but I have heard so many good things about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Good for you on deciding to educate yourself about your options. There's information in this link to help: Hormone Jungle Articles, with articles #8 - 11 explaining the types of estrogen.

Just in case you (or others reading this) aren't aware, bio-identical hormones are readily available, with a prescription, from any pharmacy. Those products are made by pharmaceutical companies. There are also bio-identical hormones which are made by a compounding pharmacist at a compounding pharmacy. Those are tailored to the patient's individual needs and require a prescription, too. Bio-identical USP Progesterone can be purchased over-the-counter--it's even sold in the HysterSisters store.

If your doctor isn't on board with prescribing the hormones you prefer, consider getting a second opinion.

Unread 09-30-2010, 08:28 PM

I just saw my oncologist yesterday for my one week post op check up and we discussed HRT (I had a TAH last year and I must not have a good store of estrogen. I'm already getting really bad hot flashes & heart palpitations). Some background on my doc-He is the director of oncology at the university hospital he works at, a professor, voted in the top 3 gyn/onc in the state in the Connoly book, and is on the review board for studies the hospital conducts (We are in NY). What he told me is that bio-identicals and regular hormone treatments are both broken down to the same substance in the body, so while the bio-identicals are higher priced, they are both equal in how the body processes them & the final result chemically is the same. He also said (and I'm sorry hystersisters) is that a study was recently conducted on over the counter hormones (they went out and purchased different kinds from local drugstores) showed inconsistencies in the dosages. First off these OTC hormones are not FDA regulated. Some pills had almost no hormones in them, while others had twice the amount. He said he does not recommend them whatsoever, they are a gamble. He said that the run of the mill HRT is good, and is FDA approved and regulated. He says his own mother takes them. He also told me about the 30% increased risk for breast cancer, but that it is unclear if it causes it, or stimulates a cancer that was destined to occur earlier. He said, in lieu of all this, that the breast cancers as a result of HRT are slow growing and have a better prognosis than those not. Just wanted to share the info handed to me.

I myself am interested in learning more about my options. I have my appt. on the 6th with my gyn to discuss & hopefully start HRT. The pro's outweigh the cons in my personal situation as almost every symptom of menopause is prevalant due to other disorders in my family, and it is going to magnify them tenfold (heart disease, anxiety, depression, etc).
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:22 AM

Hi Ladies,
Here in Australia bioidentical HRT is compounded by a chemist via a script from a doctor...the other HRTs are what I understand NOT bioidentical ie. Climara etc. I tried this patch at the lowest dose and it really spun me out ie. I was horribly dizzy. I have been using compounded bios for about 2 months now..the dose was too high in progesterone for me and am now trying a lowered one..today am feeling better having used it for one nite but at a very low dose..not sure if its from reduced progesterone or just lowered amount of cream..whatever..I feel good today and that's a good feeling as have had so many bad days with horrible anxiety/crying etc..not fun!
I hope these good days continue cos was feeling very down about this whole hysterctomy thing.
It really is a delicate balance of hormones and I wish you luck with YOUR balancing act!!
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydownunder View Post
Hi Ladies,
Here in Australia bioidentical HRT is compounded by a chemist via a script from a doctor...the other HRTs are what I understand NOT bioidentical ie. Climara etc.
Climara is considered to be a bio identical hormone replacement.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
First off these OTC hormones are not FDA regulated. Some pills had almost no hormones in them, while others had twice the amount.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The only over-the-counter hormone therapy I mentioned was USP progesterone cream. Compounded hormone therapy is not over-the-counter. Those hormones require a prescription, just as hormone therapy products made by the pharmaceutical companies do. While it's true that compounded hormones, which come in a variety of methods of delivery, aren't FDA approved, the compounding pharmacist uses the same raw ingredients that the pharmaceutical companies use to produce the product. My guess is that a compounding pharmacist who is making an faulty product isn't going to have happy customers. They will complain or take their business elsewhere. I have used compounded hormones in various forms for years and haven't had any problems with product quality. I would have returned the product to the compounding pharmacy if there was something wrong with it, just the same as I would do with any prescription medication.

It's smart to ask questions and it's a good idea to research on our own to prove or disprove the answers we get to our questions. I like to make decisions based on facts I have verified for myself. There's a lot of information to sift through and it can be confusing to figure out what is and isn't fact.

For anyone not familiar with the option of compounded hormones, there's more information in this link: http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServe...is_Compounding.

As always, we encourage all members to explore their options so they can make a decision based on their own research.

Unread 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Christy,
Thank you for the response about bio identical hormornes. Very good information.
My gyno prescribed premarin at my 1 week post op appt today. Haven't decided for sure if I want to go that route.
All the best to you...

Julie
Unread 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM

My doctor switched me to Estradiol when I asked to go to a bio-identical. She doesn't believe in the bio's, but I agreed to the Estradiol as it achieved my main goal (plant based). I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register