Lots of Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of Questions Lots of Questions

Unread 10-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Lots of Questions

Hi! I just went in for a scope and came out with a total hysterectomy. This was Sept. 24 and have not talked to my Dr. yet. How long should I take med. for pain?, When can I have sex?, What actually happened when you have a hysterectomy?, why am I still a little lightheaded? etc. . . Can anyone help? I need to learn so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Re: Lots of Questions

Oh my goodness. You were THROWN into this. Some of us know in advance I guess and some don't. I suppose it is better in some ways, I worried for 2 months leading up to my surgery. Wonder what that's like getting thrown into the decision, there is no decision to make.

This site is so awesome. I've learned more here than from any hospital about what to expect. You are going to like it here. Ask away ...
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

You need to call your doctor and find out what they took out. Did they take everything or just uterus. He/She should have told your support person waiting for you what they did. I knew I was having everything removed and my doctor went out after my surgery and told my husband how everything that went on.

Most doctor's don't approve sex for 6 weeks.

As far as pain meds go I only needed mine for a couple days but every person is different and it also can depend how your surgery was perform. Full cut would probably need meds a lot longer than my 3 little incisions.

Again just call you doctor for specifics.

Wishing you a quick recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 12:26 PM

I forgot to ask what your procedure was I was so amazed at your experience. Each hysterectomy procedure is different. A hysterectomy is a removal of the uterus to begin with though. I'm sure the moderators or others who have more experience will chime in. I had LSH, kept ovaries and cervix. Each woman on here has their own unique story and result.

I just know that we shouldn't have sex for 6 weeks! Myself, I needed pain meds for 1 week post op, now on Motrin occassionally and if I do too much. But each girl is different/different procedure. Take it easy ...
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Sometimes the unexpected happens when Drs. are involved. I went from a Drs. office to the ER across the street in a wheelchair once to spend 5-6 weeks in the hospital. Like sguekerbear said call your Dr. Your pain med could be why you are light headed. Some make me dizzy, some don't. Or it could be from another reason. It varies how long each person takes pain meds. I stopped needing them for my TAH/BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy with both ovaries removed) than others who haad the same operation on the same day, but longer than others. Some get very detailed lists of restrictions at discharge from the castle (hospital). My GYN just let me go with whatever my body and mind told me to do. I used the advice from here as to what limits I shoul set and listened to how my body felt. Definately drink lots of water, it helps you heal and also makes you take those little walks to the bathroom that helps you move around a little.
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:23 PM

a the top of the page you can also find lists that tell you what to expect from week to week in your recovery, and what you can and cannot do. and sometimes you should do less than you actually can. Now is the time to take it easy, healing takes a lot of energy. You could not plan anything before the operation, because you didn't know it was going to happen, have you got enough support and help? you really shouldn't be doing much more that resting, drinking and walking at this point.
Was it a big shock? Are you coping alright? Don't forget to talk to people about what you are going through, this is not a very small thing.
Use this site well, it has a lot to offer.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:39 PM

I would call the doctor and ask for clarification as to what type of surgery and what restrictions the doc wants you to follow. I think a general rule is to not lift heavy objects for at least a month and no sex for six weeks but these do vary by the doc and depending on what type of surgery was done. There is a lot of info on the site that should help you with some of this. Please feel free to ask any questions which I imagine you do. Having to have it done so suddenly probably has left you with tons of questions.
As far as pain medicine goes, if you are still sore then use it. My rule has been to take it easy, let yourself recover and if you need pain medicine take it. I had to use mine for at least two months but I also had two rehopitalizations in those months. So I am a lot different from most people here. Hope you feel better.
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Bug520 -

As you mentioned you do have a lot to learn.

Here's a link to the Hysterectomy Checkpoints

This is a link to the Recovery Progress thread for women having surgeries the same week as you had yours. It is a great place to find support.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=417958

I would call your Dr. and ask some of these questions because you need to know them now.

G.
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM

[color="DarkSlateBlue"][/COLOR
Thank You!!!!!! I'm found the checkpoints, and you all have answered a lot of my questions! This is a GREAT website- has lots of info and LOTS of support- THANK YOU!!!!]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register