Don't know what to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't know what to do Don't know what to do

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Don't know what to do

Immediately after my total hysterectomy, my doctor put me on Premarin. The Premarin worked great! But the cost was 60 per month, with insurance. I too am worried about our finances, due to the fact that I haven't been able to work in months (previous surgeries and diagnoses that lead to the hysterectomy) and will be another 7 weeks before I can go back (abdominal hysterectomy). My doctor gave me some Vivelle Dots to try .075. Monday I made the apprehensive switch. The first day was great! The second, I too had headaches I see others mentioning. By the third day, it was awful! (I think it had wore off after 2 days) and I was having constant hot flashes and random mood swings. I put a new patch last night before bed, and today is so-so. The packaging said 2x week, my doctor said to replace every other day. I KNOW that 2x a week is not enough for me, its been very obvious this week, BUT Im worried that since I have to use it more, it will be just as costly as being back on Premarin! I dont know what to do! Also this week I have noticed my skin and hair becoming VERY dry. I didnt notice that problem with Premarin, nor did I have headaches or hot flashes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Re: Has Anyone Switched from Vivelle Dot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrainwater View Post
Immediately after my total hysterectomy, my doctor put me on Premarin. The Premarin worked great! But the cost was 60 per month, with insurance. I too am worried about our finances, due to the fact that I haven't been able to work in months (previous surgeries and diagnoses that lead to the hysterectomy) and will be another 7 weeks before I can go back (abdominal hysterectomy). My doctor gave me some Vivelle Dots to try .075. Monday I made the apprehensive switch. The first day was great! The second, I too had headaches I see others mentioning. By the third day, it was awful! (I think it had wore off after 2 days) and I was having constant hot flashes and random mood swings. I put a new patch last night before bed, and today is so-so. The packaging said 2x week, my doctor said to replace every other day. I KNOW that 2x a week is not enough for me, its been very obvious this week, BUT Im worried that since I have to use it more, it will be just as costly as being back on Premarin! I dont know what to do! Also this week I have noticed my skin and hair becoming VERY dry. I didnt notice that problem with Premarin, nor did I have headaches or hot flashes!
Try leaving the old one on for at least 4-5 hour overlap, some even leave the old one on for a day or more... the headaches are due to fluctuating levels of estrogen. Sounds like you need more, esp with dry skin (if your thyroid has tested okay). Has your thyroid been tested lately?
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Re: Don't know what to do

My thyroid was tested about 2 months BEFORE the surgery. I never thought about having it tested again afterwards. Thank you! I will try the overlap...anything to help! Also, my friend who is a pharmacist suggested I try estradiol tabs, because they are so much cheaper and I guess several of her customers use them. Do you know much about them? I will be calling my doctor on Monday.....my next follow up isnt until Oct 20th and I am hoping to have this worked out by then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Just noticed your surgery date. You're very early postop... so things are likely to go up and down a lot during the first few months. Drs like to try things for at least 6 weeks before they make adjustments. You are likely experiencing fluctuations in estrogen from your own body too... it takes a while for your own estrogen to run out... not uncommon for strange symptoms at this stage... keep a journal of your symptoms and meds, and you might see a correlation (like when flashes/headaches are bad compared to what time/day you switched the patch. Also, the more active/thin/sick/stressed you are, the more estrogen you will likely need.
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:43 PM

hmmm I just assumed, probably like most, that once the ovaries were out, my estrogen would be out too. Very good point! Thank you
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Are you sure your insurance was covering the Premarin? I was on it without rx coverage and it cost me $53 for a 30 day supply. (1.25mg) Check with your insurance carrier to make sure they were actually covering it- you may be able to get reimbursed your out-of-pocket expense.

I'm now on Estradiol .5mg and its $38 for a 3 MONTH supply! I couldn't believe how much cheaper it is! I'm also wondering why my doc didn't suggest the switch earlier knowing I have to cover all medications. I can't say how its working thus far as its only been a week that I've been on it. I have noticed changes (warm flushes, lack of moisture) but I'm hoping as my body adjusts those will subside. If not, I'm going to ask for a higher dose.
Unread 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM

yeah my class 3 drugs are 60 so it sucks, but my doctor just prescribed me the estradiol and the price is incredible..worried about making the change though, since premarin has been the only thing to work so far. Can you keep me updated on how it works for you? I will be making the switch in about a week.
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrainwater View Post
Also, my friend who is a pharmacist suggested I try estradiol tabs, because they are so much cheaper and I guess several of her customers use them. Do you know much about them?
If you choose to go that route, many pharmacies have them for $4 for a 30 day supply, $10 for a 90 day supply.

Unread 10-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Also, check the pharmaceutical website. I did that for my blood pressure medicine & they posted a coupon so my $66 medicine is only $27.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register