Granulation on cuff cauterized...warning gross post...but need help. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation on cuff cauterized...warning gross post...but need help. Granulation on cuff cauterized...warning gross post...but need help.

Unread 11-01-2001, 07:52 AM
Granulation on cuff cauterized...warning gross post...but need help.

Ladies, I had my cuff incision cauterized for granulation last Tuesday. Today is Thursday. Just a few minutes ago I went to the bathroom and while I was there felt a rather sharp but short lasting pain in my cuff area and when I wiped I found (here comes the gross part) a clump of grayish with red/pruple patches tissue. Grossed me out. It wasn't big, maybe a quarter of an inch in diameter. Is that a result of the cauterization with the silver nitrate? I've used silver nitrate in the past in my practice, but I've never seen this kind of tissue before. I'm still spotting a little and still ache a little, but the sharp pain is gone now.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2001, 08:17 AM

Laura, I would call your gyn immediately and tell them what has happened......it might be normal, but considering you had pain with it it's worth following up about. I had the silver nitrate and had some pain but nothing came out ......I would definitely call right away......if for no other reason then to put your mind at ease.

I forget , where in Ontario are you? I'm orginally from Barrie, but live in Vancouver for the last 13yrs.

Please let us know what the doc says ok?
Unread 11-01-2001, 08:39 AM
I agree with Gidge...

Call your doc asap. It may be normal, but it is better to be safe. I truly hope everything is okay my dear.

Please let us know what your dr says. I'm sending you soothing 'S dear sister....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2001, 03:22 PM

Ladies, I know this may sound looney...but what is a cuff? I had my abd. split open for my hyst...and its still not healed. Does this have anything to do with it? Thanks...........
Unread 11-01-2001, 03:25 PM

Hi Brandy, your vaginal cuff is where your cervix used to be (if yours was removed) they then bring the skin together and form a "cuff" and sew it back together where the cervix used to be! (hope I got that right)

Even if you had an abdominal hysterectomy you would have one of these as long as your cervix was removed.

hope this clears it up for you and happy healing
Unread 11-01-2001, 03:47 PM

Thanx so much Gidge...I was wondering! Yes, my cervix was removed...and about 3 weeks ago he examined me and said that an incision was apart or something like that, and put silver nitrate up inside me. What we women go through! to you and thanks again!
Unread 11-01-2001, 03:53 PM

Hi again Brandy, that's what this post is all about, what you had done was he put silver nitrate on your vaginal cuff to get rid of excess scar tissue, called granulation......it's pretty common I would guess that at least 1/2 of us had to have it done but it doesn't usually hurt when they do it.

so back to the young lady that originated this post.....have you called your dr to ask about what fell out this morning???? We are waiting and worrying!!
Unread 11-02-2001, 05:28 AM

I couldn't get through to him so I'll try again today. I work one floor above him so I'll just run down when I'm at work.

The interesing thing is that I'm finding little silver pieces, which I assume is silver nitrate, coming out. I wonder if what came out isn't just some scar tissue that sluffed off? I usually form what are called keloids...which is another way of saying I scar easily.

BTW...Gidge, it didn't hurt for you? You lucky thing you! I thought I was going to go through the roof!!

I'll let you all know. Thanks for the concern.
Unread 11-07-2001, 12:59 PM
It's the burned tissue!

The doctor said that what I saw was what was left of the granulated tissue that he burned off. Whew! At least it's not serious. I have to see him again on Monday. My earlier appointment was postponed by the doctor. Hopefully I won't need it done again.
Unread 12-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Enough is Enough

I decided to look up "granulation" in my search and came up with your thread. I do love this site! It is very discouraging to have any more "abnormal" "weird" discharge coming out from your body-but here we are 7 months later and "granulation tissue". I went for my 4 month in August (by the surgeon)and I looked great, then around the end of September a constant discharge, and I went to my gyn and she said "granulation tissue". I am surprised it developed---I am scheduled to have the tissue removed by the surgeon (I like consistency) and will see what he says this Tuesday (12/04/01). I appreciate your warning so if I see something short of an alien, I won't get too concerned. I'll let you know what they say. JOY

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register