I cant stop crying and I have both ovaries. Please help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I cant stop crying and I have both ovaries.  Please help! I cant stop crying and I have both ovaries. Please help!

Unread 10-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I cant stop crying and I have both ovaries. Please help!

I had TAH on Sept 27th and pain wise I am doing great. They left both my ovaries but did remove a large cyst on the left ovary. I have become an emotional wreck. I cry at the drop of a hat, at a commercial, for no reason and espically songs. I have no other symptoms of menopause and I don't think I should be emotional because I still have healthy ovaries. I am 36 and had debilitating endometrosis. I am worried my husband will no longer find me attratcive and he has been so supportive and gone way above and beyond but its been almost a week. I don't know what I am asking. I cant stop crying and there is no reason for this but I am terrified he wont find me appealing anymore. I googled if husbands loose interest in their wives after hysterectomy and only found information about the female loosing sex drive. We have been together 18 years and have always (even with the pain) a very intimate relationship.
I am not always crying, the majority of the time I am really happy. I just switch into crying out of no where. Am I being dramatic or is this normal? Has anyone else gone through this? What if I made the wrong decision?

Another thing I noticed is that I have had no spotting at all. Only one time, just a couple drops a few hours after the surgery. But I read that bleeding will occur and now I am worried why am I not bleeding. I dont want to sleep for some reason and was given a script for a strong sleeping pill and to take two of them because in the hospital I didn't sleep. Its almost as though I am scared to go to sleep. I took 2 sleeping pills plus my pain pill and xanax an hour ago but wont lay down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Re: I cant stop crying and I have both ovaries. Please help!

Dear Julie,
You are only just at the very beginning of recovery. Your body has been through a lot, your emotions are entirely to be expected. If you have kept your ovaries your hormones will probably sort themselves out. It might take a while though; your ovaries have also been through quite an ordeal, and are in shock. If it becomes too much, talk to your doctor about your emotions, I have heard of some sisters who got temporary hormone meds.

Your husband sounds nice and supportive, have you talked about your fears with him? It is also very normal to be insecure about his feelings, but most of the time we simply worry too much! You do not loose 18 years in one week of recovery from major surgery. Anyway, it is much too early for you to do anything about it, only communicating with your husband is always a good idea.
There is a misterhystersisters site for him as well, somewhere on this site.

A lot of women doubt their desicion now that it is final. Only you can say, but if your problems were debilitating, as you say, then you can safely assume you really did do yourself a favor by having this surgery.

I bled the first two days (very little) then not at all for a week, then again for a day or two, and after that only when I had been too active. Not bleeding is nothing to worry about, really!

The sleeping thing is something I would talk to my doctor about; it may be linked to your emotional problem, and solved in one go?

Good luck, keep us informed
annelies
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julslilly View Post
I had TAH on Sept 27th and pain wise I am doing great. They left both my ovaries but did remove a large cyst on the left ovary. I have become an emotional wreck. I cry at the drop of a hat, at a commercial, for no reason and espically songs. I have no other symptoms of menopause and I don't think I should be emotional because I still have healthy ovaries. I am 36 and had debilitating endometrosis. I am worried my husband will no longer find me attratcive and he has been so supportive and gone way above and beyond but its been almost a week. I don't know what I am asking. I cant stop crying and there is no reason for this but I am terrified he wont find me appealing anymore. I googled if husbands loose interest in their wives after hysterectomy and only found information about the female loosing sex drive. We have been together 18 years and have always (even with the pain) a very intimate relationship.
I am not always crying, the majority of the time I am really happy. I just switch into crying out of no where. Am I being dramatic or is this normal? Has anyone else gone through this? What if I made the wrong decision?

Another thing I noticed is that I have had no spotting at all. Only one time, just a couple drops a few hours after the surgery. But I read that bleeding will occur and now I am worried why am I not bleeding. I dont want to sleep for some reason and was given a script for a strong sleeping pill and to take two of them because in the hospital I didn't sleep. Its almost as though I am scared to go to sleep. I took 2 sleeping pills plus my pain pill and xanax an hour ago but wont lay down.

Hi Julie,
Please be patient with yourself...its a long road when you have a hysterectomy and you are only freshly out of hospital. Your ovaries are in shock..your system should right itself! As for bleeding..I didn't bleed at all except for a few drops post op..its not compulsory to bleed!!
Sleeping is a problem for me too and I'm 4 months post op!
You are probably experiencing anxiety re menopause symptom..if you have your ovaries it all settle down.
You should be asleep by now with all that medication in you now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2010, 05:00 AM

Hi Julslily, I had a LSH kept ovaries and have been extremely emotional, sounding just like you. I think we need to give ourselves time. Let our bodies get balanced, in time. If you need to cry, just cry, then Breathe. I'm right there with you. My boyfriend told me especially within the first few days, he would leave the room to bring me some tea and I would be smiling, as fast as it takes to get a cup of tea in the next room, he would be back with the tea and I would be pouring tears. At one point I was wondering if this is depression? I said no way, I'm giving it some time. I'm not the type to get depressed over something for too long. I do have sad days, I am human, they never last. So, do question this. But I think we need to allow ourselves more time. And try to stay positive about our futures. With no more pain. I had debilitating pain too for 2 wks out of every month. I think we just haven't seen the benefits yet because we are still healing. I've learned PATIENCE with this surgery.

Me too about bleeding. Well, I was 4 days into a period anyway on the day of surgery. I am interested to no where you were in your cycle at surgery? I bled light/moderate for 3 days post op then it went away ever since. I thought the same thing, no blood is good.

Happy Healing!
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. It did make me feel a lot more at ease.
I was actually right around ovulation. I had to take zpac week before surgery and I think Im getting a yest infection. Not sure if thats going to be a problem or not.

What is LSH I need to find the key code chart. I only remembered mine.
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM

LSH is Laproscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy. Supra is above I believe. Which means I kept my cervix as well.

I felt like I had something in common where we both kept our ovaries. Either way, both of our systems are in shock (some probably more than others) from what I have been reading on here. Hence, the emotional weepiness. I couldn't believe the menopausal symptoms I was experiencing from my procedure. I also had a day or two of the sweats and hot flashes. But mostly it is the weepiness OH and I seem to be scatterbrained, can't remember names of things. My daugther has a new teacher this year who I have met and couldn't remember her name! I hope they didn't take my brain along with my uterus!! But yes, there is an interesting section on this site that explains each procedure, I've looked at it before but I can't remember where it is.
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:06 AM

Ill have to find that section. I too have brain fog but I am attributing it to the strong Vicoden!
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Just had to say that DH and I watched "The Blind Side" on HBO last night and I was a wreck! I had never seen it before and didn't realize it was going to upset me so much.

But I'm attributing it to my surgery and hoping that things get straightened out soon.

You sound like you are blessed w/ a great husband. Mine has been wonderful and very supportive. He really has treated me like a queen.

So don't put too much pressure on yourself and just let your body heal. I'm trying to be patient, but that has never been my strong suit!!
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Thank you! I am much better now. I am so glad I found you ladies, it has been wonderful. I balled and sobbed watching The Blind Side and I was perfectly fine. I cant imangine watching it now! LOL
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the roller coaster!!
I have one ovary left and I've been riding high since my surgery on the 16th but I knew that it wouldn't last forever. At my 2 week post op my gyn asked me how I was doing emotionally and I said that I was still in the honeymoon phase but I knew better, and sure enough the last few days there's been a few times where I've bawled my eyes out.
I'm trying to keep the attitude of letting it wash over me, not fighting the times when I feel emotional and just accept that it's part of the healing process.

I too have had hardly any spotting but apparently after the first 2 weeks or so, that should increase as the stitches dissolve, so again, I'm just taking things as they come. Nothing much more I can do about it, right?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register