Scheduled TLH restrictions on activity | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

restrictions on activity restrictions on activity

Unread 10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
restrictions on activity

Can someone who has had a TLH tell me generally the retrictions and time periods. I expect no complications.I know I have to follow my Dr. but I don't see him for a while and I am trying to plan something. My TLH is Nov 17. On Nov 30 I have to work for about an hour about 15 minutes away. It just involves sitting.Do you think I would be able? It is one day shy of two weeks. Thanks. Amila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Re: restrictions on activity

I would discuss this with your doc and see how they feel. It seems that many of us get put on 2 week driving restriction - and for some that is only lifted if they are 100% off the heavy pain meds. If you drive while under a medical restriction.... your insurance company has the grounds to deny coverage.

At 2 weeks out (I had TVH) I think I would have been up to it physically... but I was still battling the brain foggies at that point so I couldn't guarentee that my work would have been quite up to standard.
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM

I had a TLH, and the surgery went fine, but don't "expect" no complications. You NEVER KNOW. I'm a generally healthy 30-year old, and my surgery went 100% perfectly, but I was allergic to my pain meds after surgery, and then got an infection. You can't predict everything.

That being said... I think, given how I feel now (very sore without pain meds), I would be able to handle a fifteen-minute drive and an hour of desk-work two weeks after surgery. I don't think that sounds like overkill. Again, make sure you ASK YOUR DOCTOR. I'm getting everything cleared with mine.

You might feel amazingly perfect (like I expected to), or you might end up as an inpatient for two days and back in the ER the next day (like I did) because of small setbacks. Don't set your goals for yourself ahead of time. Take it day by day, and let yourself celebrate the small victories along the way. I was so upset, and actually felt GUILTY, that I ended up in the hospital 30 hours longer than expected as an inpatient, and felt even worse that I had to go back, because I'd been so sure that I'd recover perfectly. Kinda stupid in retrospect... feeling guilty, that is. Take care of your body, and accept that it will recover at the rate that it's ready to recover.

But still, I think your goal of working that short desk job two weeks after your surgery sounds very reasonable. Just ask your doctor.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Hello,

I had a TLH done on Sept 22nd. My physician gave me a strict week by week list of restrictions and told me that I would have to be off work for four weeks (I have a sit-down job as well).

I definitely recommend talking to your physician about returning to work so soom. My surgery went well but I am having some minor complications with my bladder. I will be taking off the full 4 weeks to allow my body to rest fully and to be prepared for any setbacks. I plan on taking advantage of having the opportunity to recover and still get paid from my job.

It seems recovery after this surgery is on a day-by-day basis (you have your ups and downs). Everyone is different and doing too much too soon can be a setback.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register