Estratest vs Bio-identicals | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estratest vs Bio-identicals Estratest vs Bio-identicals

Unread 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Estratest vs Bio-identicals

Hello!

I haven't been here in many years so bear with me!

I had LAVH (total) in April of 2004. I started on bio-identical hormones at that time. I found it never really controlled my hot flashes/night sweats no matter how much the pharmacist adjusted it.

Two weeks ago, I went to see my ob/gyn and she said Estratest is the same as the drops I was using. She took me off progesterone (no uterus) because she thinks it was making me moody and I have to tell you, I am feeling so much better without it.

Testing at my compounding pharmacy is $150 plus the $20 test kit and the $60 consult fee. I cannot continue to pay for this and my insurance does not cover saliva testing.

Can someone tell me if Estratest is indeed the same? I'm sure the compounding pharmacist will say it isn't and I am torn as to what to do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Re: Estratest vs Bio-identicals

Hello!

No, Estratest isn't the same as compouned hormones. Estratest is synthetic--a combination of esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone. Bio-identical hormones, whether from a compounding pharmacy or those made by pharmaceutical companies, are made to duplicate the hormones made by the ovaries.

There's a comprehensive list of hormone therapy products you can look over in this link from the site's Resource Database: Menopause Hormone Replacement Options. If your preference is to use bio-identical hormones, you'll see that there are plenty of options available that are made by pharmaceutical companies. Maybe your doctor has samples you can try first before committing to a full prescription.

As a side note, Estratest isn't being manufactured anymore but there are other esterified estrogens/methelytestoserone pills available--EEMT or Covaryx are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Let us know what you decide you want to try, okay?

Unread 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Thank you for your response! I will look over that.

That's odd that it isn't being manufactured any longer because my bottle says Estratest. Weird!

What are the cons of using this vs bio-identicals? I am feeling so much better on this than the drops and I don't even notice hot flashes, etc any longer but I have noticed my hair seems thinner even though it's only been a couple of weeks. Would that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM

It's good that you're feeling better! Some of us wander around for a while trying to find the right hormone therapy. For example, I started out using Estratest after my surgery and while it worked for controlling hot flashes, night sweats, etc. it did nothing for my libido. That started my search into alternatives and my decision to try bio-identicals. When I started on the bio-identicals I was using all compounded hormones. Now I use a combination of compounded hormones (my progesterone and testosterone creams) and Vivelle Dot for my systemic estrogen.

One of the biggest drawbacks to using a hormone product which has two or more hormones combined is that there isn't a way to adjust the dose of one or the other if it doesn't happen to be in the right proportion. In other words, since I don't need to use my testosterone cream every day, it's easy for me to use it just as needed. If it were combined with my progesterone cream, I'd be stuck using both or opting not to use either. I prefer to have the option to adjust any of my hormones based on how I'm feeling.

Male pattern baldness can be a symptom of too much testosterone so you'll want to keep track of how much hair you're losing. It's normal to lose a certain number of hairs a day. If you're losing more than normal, check with your doctor.

Unread 12-29-2010, 03:52 PM

I know for me all the bioidenticals i tried made me feel down and progesterone was way bad,started estrotest and the first day my mind felt so clear i was able to sit and watcha movie,,i get scared and my anxiety goes up but i think its me not the estrotest...........its great for me,but as they say we r all different

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register