12/04 Surgery & Christmas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12/04 Surgery & Christmas 12/04 Surgery & Christmas

Unread 11-01-2001, 12:37 PM
12/04 Surgery & Christmas

Went to Dr. Tuesday and discussed options. He offered Lupron, but I have had terrible problems with depression while on BCP or after giving birth. Am not planning on having any more kids (mine are 14, 5, &9 + hubby had a vasectomy). So we decided that Lupron or any hormones or shots are not an option. The pain really rules my life and interferes with all plans, so I want this done as soon as possible. Soonest he could schedule me is Dec. 04, which is really going to interfere with Christmas planning, parties, etc...(but the pain usually does anyway? so?) My husband seemed 'annoyed' that I let them plan it for Dec. I tried to reason with him that he really doesn't want me in this mood and feeling like this any longer than I have to. Of course, now I am thinking that maybe I should try to put it off until January so I can help more with Christmas, and I am 'angry' at him for making me feel like I am upsetting his routine at the wrong time. Should I expect to be able to do much at least on the last week before Christmas, or will I pretty much need to plan on being down for most of the holiday? I know it is pretty individual, but just really wanted some feedback.. Also, is it worth considering putting off for a month so I will have more support at home when I do get the surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2001, 12:45 PM

I had tah/bso March 2000 and at 4 weeks post I went to post op appt. and short trip to Walmart and that did me in. I don't know if the search engine goes back this far...but why don't you try search using keyword "Christmas" and/or "holiday". We had lots of holiday hysterectomies last Christmas. It might give you some posts to read that may be helpful.

Can't help you with your decision...but wanted to let you know we'll be here for you.
Unread 11-01-2001, 01:11 PM

Hello

I guess you have to decide what will be better for you. DO you go to a lot of parties? 4 weeks post op I went to a party and stayed until 2 am I did great! But not everyone is so lucky.

I am so thrilled to have the surgery done , but I do understand your husbands point to. It is a hard call.

Let us know what you decide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2001, 01:19 PM

Hi there

If you have your hyst on 12/4, you will be 3 weeks post op at Christmas. You didn't say what type of surgery you are having.
I had a TAH/Burch repair and at 3 weeks post op I would probably have only been able to enjoy watching the festivities.

Shopping or errand running would have been out for me. Maybe some light cooking on a "good" day. But, I think it really depends on how you celebrate the holiday. If you plan to have all your shopping done and big meals are not an issue, you might do o.k.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted !
Unread 11-01-2001, 01:21 PM

I'm new to this website. I am 3 weeks post-op now. From reading other messages, it seems that recovery depends on many things. The type of surgery seems to be part of it. But from talking to friends that have had what I had done (TAH/BSO and bladder repair), I think you'll find that it is unlikely you'll be helping much with Christmas. I started back to work at 2 and a half weeks part time and find that I have to sleep every afternoon and lay around with the heating pad at night. (I have a desk job.) Probably the determining factor for my activity is the danger of reversing the bladder suspension. But I'm lucky as my husband takes me to work and carries everything to my office and does everything around the house so I can rest. I'm very careful not to lift anything for the recommended 6 weeks to avoid any post-op complications. What does your doctor say about your concerns? He/she knows you better than I do and probably has the most useful advice.

But I think the fact that you mention that the pain you're having usually causes you problems anyway, might be your answer.

Good luck.

Lisa
Unread 11-01-2001, 07:44 PM
TAH/BSO

I didn't say in the post what they were going to do, but they will be doing a TAH/BSO.
Thanks for all of the replies so far.
I am also afraid that if I wait I will be hooked on the pain pills and keep putting it off because 'something' came up, or I can stand the pain a "little longer" or hubby is "inconvenience, but right at this moment I don't think I can handle the pain and other problems. Can't even eat anymore without spending the rest of the day running to the bathroom with terrible cramps. Specially CANNOT eat out unless I am going straight home....can only imagine Thanksgiving dinner this year....
Unread 11-02-2001, 04:28 AM

I originally thought about scheduling my TAH/BSO at Christmas, thinking how nice it would be to be home at that time of year. It is now two months later and I've had some minor complications, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it at Christmas time if I had a choice. I am back to working half days and tire very easily. On the other hand, I know you really want to put your problems behind you. Despite my complications I am so glad to have had this done. Being pain free is a wonderful thing! So you have to decide if you can make Christmas more of a minor event this year. I agree with the one post--that you will mostly be "watching" this Christmas. Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-02-2001, 06:24 AM
12/4

I am going for my second opinion for a tah on November 8 (next Thurs). I planned on asking for the surgery on or around December 5. I have just made plane reservations to fly to Atlanta on December 27. I sure hope I will be up to it, but am getting concerned after reading the replies to your post. Would love to keep in touch though this, so keep in touch!
Tammy
Unread 11-02-2001, 06:38 AM
Having my surgery Dec. 19th

Dear Miselfni
Just wanted to send you some encouragement I will be having my surgery Dec. 19th. Along with the hyst. I will be having a rectocele and bladder repair. My husband has two weeks off then and is taking an additional week off (we have 5 kids) I met another sister who will be having her surgery Dec. 21
We decided we shall toast the holidays together (maybe with a pain pill (ha ha) from the sofa. If it becomes the right decision for you please come and join us. I have put this off for years and can't believe I am really doing it I don't even think I can trust my emotions right now. Last night as I looked at my house. (a kitchen in the middle of a paint job, flooring coming next week, shopping to do, all my husbands Greek relatives coming for thanksgiving, who I love and adore but must get the house ready for about 30 more people, my three year old trying to help me paint!!!!!! I was truly ready to cancel my surgery.
This morning I woke up grabbed my Bible and said "Lord I need Your peace" after a few tears and a few verses I have regrouped and determined today is going to be a blessed day :jumping: Maybe your husband is not projecting his feelings accurately. He may feel bad for you and probably lacks the ability (like most men) to relate to all you are going through. What ever your decision I am sending you a and my prayers will be with you. lots of love Jacqui
Unread 11-02-2001, 02:57 PM
I am scheduled for Dec 3rd...........M

I am being very optomistic on my recovery but then again I will be having a LAVH along with A & P and pelvic floor repairs. Not sure if I get to keep my ovaries or not.

I have 4 kids but am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I only have 1 part planned and a school play so think I will do OK.

I know what you mean about hubby's. I wanted my surgery to be this month but due to DH's deer hunting it would have cause us both lots of stress so I decided to wait.

Good luck with your decision.

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register