Not Scheduled Scared.. MUST have surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared.. MUST have surgery Scared.. MUST have surgery

Unread 10-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Scared.. MUST have surgery

I have had 2 bouts of Tubo-Ovarian Abcesses, the 2nd one being worse, because while I attempted to tell my OB/GYN that I KNEW what was wrong, and have her put me in the hospital, I was ignored, so it got worse.

After the 2nd inpatient treatment for the abcesses, a different OB/GYN told me that I would require a full TAH, with a BSO. (Yes, I've read this forum, and I know the lingo-LOL!!) Originally, this was scheduled for June 29, but after having a biopsy done with no cancer or precancer found, I was told I could postpone, which I did. I was also told that I needed to have tests done each month, but SOMETHING was bothering me, and I put those off, too. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me, but finally put my finger on it a couple days ago.

While I didn't like being ignored when I KNEW what my problem was, I LIKE my regular OB/GYN doc. The 2nd doc I was given, while she is not only an OB/GYN surgeon, she is also a cancer surgeon, something bothered me about her.. I knew she was good at what she did, and she was a professor at the college, but you know how it is.. I wasn't comfortable. It would have been ok if I had to have surgery RIGHTTHENANDTHERE, but since I got to postpone, I'd rather not have her do the surgery.

Well, it's getting to the point where I can't put it off much longer. Still no problems since my stint in the hospital, but I know I have to have it done soon.

What I would like from you fine women out there is some advice...

a) should I go speak to the OB that I LIKE and tell her what I'm feeling and see if she can schedule me and do the surgery?? I know it won't be quick, because they don't do "woman" surgery except like once a month at that hospital..

or

b)should I go to the other OB and have her do it, since I can probably get in quicker there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Re: Scared.. MUST have surgery

There is something to that feeling of uncertainty when it comes to doctors. If your intuition is flashing a red light, then I would go to see the doc you feel better with. OR... and I know time is of the essence, now, but perhaps get a THIRD opinion? Personally, I would see the doc I feel comfortable with and suggest this, but I would also tell her what you told us; It's just time to do something.

Just curious: What bothered you about the Oncologist? I ask because my GYN actually referred me to see an GYN/Oncologist and now they will both be doing my TAH/BSO, as a team. GYN/Oncologists deal with very delicate, tricky surgery and I honestly feel really good about my upcoming surgery on the 21st. I have a lot of adhesions and scar tissue from previous abdominal surgeries and the oncologist is an expert with this.

Do YOU feel you should have it done quicker?

I wish you luck, Pattimelt (Love your name!), and please keep us posted!
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:48 AM

Beadcrazy-- This is gonna just be a 'run of the mill' TAH/BSO.

My problem is that I only have my choice of the 2 docs. I'm a military vet, and my regular doc is down here closer to home, in a hospital that I prefer. The OB/Oncologist is up in Westwood, which is about 40 miles away (with traffic, up to 2+ hours!!), and I honestly don't like that hospital, either. During the last inpatient treatment, I was in a room that felt like it was constantly 100 degrees and was so stuffy, I started to get claustrophobia, so I started walking around the hospital between treatments. I got cussed out by the infectious disease doc because I didn't spend my life in bed, and I had a roomie that thought it would be fun to watch the medical channel while they were showing a hysterectomy, just after I had found out I was going to need to have one!!! Oh, and this was AFTER the nurses kept blowing my veins up with faulty IV's. It got so bad that finally they had to use an ultrasound to find a vein they hadn't blown up, and even then, it took them 4 pricks to hit the one they found for the last IV needle!!!

I think I've made up my mind, just typing out this response. Tomorrow I call the doc I LIKE and see when I can be fit in her schedule for a convo so that I can be scheduled for surgery down here. I don't even think I'll mind that my hubby will be out of town working as long as I'm at this hospital closer to home and my best friend will come and help (and she already said she would!!). My hubby's a wuss, anyway, and I don't need to worry about him, too while I heal..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Oh, wow. You poor thing!! I don't get along with IV's either; I can so relate.

A doc cussed you out? Really? Very unprofessional!

Yeah, I think you should call your LIKED doc and take the steps. You'll be close to home and have that all-important best friend with you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

{{hugs}}
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Go with your gut! There's something to be said for a woman's intuition. Remember it's not only the actual surgery, but your recovery as well. You need to be comfortable and confident with your doc. I had some questions about mine but went ahead with her anyway. After 4 phone calls to her telling her I wasn't ok and her telling me "you're fine, see you in two weeks" I went to my primary care and he said it was a large hematoma and other ocmplications from the surgery and I needed to be seen/treated immediately. My gut told me to find someone else, but my brain told me not to worry. I now see another doc in her practive until i am out of the post-op phase and then I will switch all together. Remember, if you decide against her AFTER the surgery, another physician probably won't take you being "someone elses problem".
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch1826 View Post
Go with your gut! There's something to be said for a woman's intuition. Remember it's not only the actual surgery, but your recovery as well. You need to be comfortable and confident with your doc. I had some questions about mine but went ahead with her anyway. After 4 phone calls to her telling her I wasn't ok and her telling me "you're fine, see you in two weeks" I went to my primary care and he said it was a large hematoma and other ocmplications from the surgery and I needed to be seen/treated immediately. My gut told me to find someone else, but my brain told me not to worry. I now see another doc in her practive until i am out of the post-op phase and then I will switch all together. Remember, if you decide against her AFTER the surgery, another physician probably won't take you being "someone elses problem".
VERY wise words. Yes, our intuition is there for a reason! Go with it!
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM

I think you need to be comfortable with your doctor. You may need things after the surgery & if your gut is saying she is not the right one I would listen to your gut. Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM

I agree that you need to go with your gut feeling. We're military... thank GOODNESS I like the GYN dr. who is doing my hyst, I know how it can be where you just *have* to go with whatever dr. you're assigned to or you're out of luck...tough cookies. If you have a choice, go with the good dr. Good luck! Let us know what happens
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM

Hubs and I are both retired from the military and live in a non-military, rural area. You didn't say if your surgery is being done through the VA, but you should know that they recently came out with new guidelines on women's "gender-specific care." Love that government-ese! Google VHA Publication 1330.01 and read it. You have a choice and do not have to go to a long-distance VA hospital for surgery. I just fought that battle and won, and had my hyst. in the local hospital using the surgeon chosen by me, not at the large VA hospital 200 miles away with student docs. I'm glad I went with the local doctor. Readily accessible follow-up care is important, especially if you need some attention during your recovery phase. Best wishes to you, and thank you for your service.
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Additionally, the small local hospital care was superior to any I ever received after a number of surgeries in military hospitals. Population in our town is around 20K, so I was pleasantly surprised to find both a skilled surgeon and good hospital care about 4 miles from home. My hyst. was not a "teaching case," either (surgeon's words, not mine). A couple of my large fibroids had formed their very own pirated blood supply over the years, and careful dissection was necessary for their safe removal. Whatever you decide, best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register