LSH with precancerous cells - keep part of cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH with precancerous cells -  keep part of cervix? LSH with precancerous cells - keep part of cervix?

Unread 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
LSH with precancerous cells - keep part of cervix?

I have had years of endometriosis and several years of atypical paps. I have had biopsies 3 times. 1 time resulting in a sloughing cream and 2 times resulting in Cryotherapy. Always have 1 clean pap as a follow up and then atypical by the next. My Dr had wanted to wait for 2 clean paps in a row to go for the hysterectomy.

In Sept I had the worst period yet for me. One that I did not in any way want to repeat. After an appt he decided we could go ahead with the hysterectomy. I have had 1 endometriosis laparascopy in the past and if I was "approved" for the the hysterectomy I would rather do that, then do the other over and over.

We have no kids and do not intend to have any. I am 35 years old. My sister had 1 child and then a hysterectomy at 24 for her endometriosis.

So I go tomorrow (Tues the 19th) for my pre-op appt and will go Mon the 25the for the LSH-BSO. He wants to leave a portion of the cervix for the bad cells to grow on in case they are still not completely resolved. My Dr says we have done just fine treating them over the years in the methods we have used, but that if the cervix was completely gone and the cells were to spread and return they could only grow on the vaginal wall and it would be nearly impossible to treat cancerous cells in the vagina.

In some ways that makes sense but in others it doesn't. Has anyone else had recurring problems of Cervical CIN1 nature and kept their cervix as a precaution? What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Re: LSH with precancerous cells - keep part of cervix?

Tracy,

I don't have any words of wisdom, just my experience. I had a LSH with LS in March. I had a history of abnormal paps, but always had a come back in six months response. When I had my pre-op appt, I asked about my cervix because I figured if I'm having surg, just take everything. Doc said pap was only slightly abn, so I should be fine.
Fats foward four months, pap came back abn, and had to have a colp and biopsy, it came back as CIN3. I have read other stories of having cervix removed with hyster and the HPV attacking the vagina.
I think for me and my situation, I'm glad I kept my cervix (I did question that when I was told I needed a biopsy) For me, contending with biopsies and other treatments down the road for my cervix is better then it turning into vaginall ca.
Hopefully, one of the ladies who has this situation will chime in and give you appropriate experience.
Sending hugs and prayers your way, for an easy recovery.
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM

Can I suggest if you aren't seeing a GYN oncologist, that you get an opinion from one? I admit the Drs reasoning doesn't make sense to me but I'm not one to say---but a GYN onc (or two) have that as their specialty and are who I would listen to. I didn't see one in time and wish I had insisted on being able to see one before I had surgery. Best wishes on your surgery, however you proceed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2010, 11:16 AM

(((auntshamaine)))

We're very sorry you are dealing with these issues but are glad you found us!

I don't have any personal experience to share, but I agree with greyown regarding the second opinion from a gyn/onc. They are the experts for gyn cancer/pre-cancers, and you want the best for your health. Besides, it's always a good idea to get a second (or third!) opinion.

(Also, don't forget to check over on the surgery boards for tips regarding the procedure itself, hospital and recovery.)

monami
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks ladies, seems like nuttygals history kind of confirms what Dr is saying. We know how to deal with the cells, so lets just do that. Seeing oncologist is probably not an option in my small area unless I traveled elsewhere.

I took a while to respond because I lost my post and I was slow in noticing it had been moved. I have struggled with an ear infection this week and now wonder if surgery will even be Monday or not?!?!
Unread 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Tracy,

How are you doing? I haven't responded because I was on vacation and staying away from "cancer thoughts". Hopefully you can still have your LSH tomorrow, and hopefully the resulting biopsy with help comfort you.
Good luck to you. You'll be on my prayers.
Unread 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM

Nuttygal,

I had my LSH-BSO on this Monday so I am at 6 days post op, still had the "infection" and have stayed on antibiotic all week. Still have a pretty stuffy nose and don't like blowing it. Pressure you know... LOL
I will go in Tues for my1 week post op appt and plan to hear answers to all my questions. I feel pretty confident everything was ok or maybe I would have heard by now. Just ready for stitches to come out.
Hope you had a great time on vacation and thanks for thinking of me and go ahead and pray anyway for the speedy recovery!Smiles

How is your recovery going right now? What was your course of action after the CIN3 biopsy? When was that for you?

thanks for your time and thoughts,
Tracy
Unread 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear surg went well. Yes, I would think if something showed up doc would have called you, although you never know. It seems they don't think some things are important that we think are. How is your pain doing? If I remember correctly, I was getting to where I almost felt semi normal, just not fully.

My recovery has been wonderful until I went in for my abn pap and was called to say I needed a colpo. Since my insurance had just ended (hubby took a new job) I found a study with one of the docs in my practice for abn paps. The medication is an IV for 3 months, which is supposed to attack the abn cells due to HPV (which mine are). Each time I go in for an IV, I have a colpo to see if anything has changed. I had my first IV 2 weeks ago and I think I got the placebo *oh well*. But I did have another lesion, but not sure what type now.
I did talk to the NP when I went in, and told her I have been really researching and looking at things and it seems like it's unusual for it to go from an ASQ in November, Cervix looked great at hyster in March, to CIN 3 in July. She said it was, and when I asked about once you hit CIN 3 that it will more then likely turn into ca within 3-20 years, she also affirmed that. Which is what I feared. Hopefully this trial med will take care of all that and I will be CIN free.
Have fun at your post-op, mine was pretty easy.

Heather
Unread 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Heather,
I will definitely be interested to see how this works for you. I also believe it is unusual for that much change in 4 months. I have always been told that precancerous is just that. And that as long as we "stay on top" of it that we shouldn't have to worry. It has been explained to me that as long as we keep getting rid of the cells we are fine and that it is the women who ignore their yearlies who end up with the cancer. Maybe it isn't so cut and dry as that, but that is how I have been directed over the years. Just stay on it and I will be fine...

So I assume since you know it is HPV that you were actually tested? I have not been, says alot of insurance won't pay for that test and it is "normally" HPV so we treat that way assuming. Unless something (I don't know what) were to come up to necessitate the test we just haven't done it.

I have always wondered about that HPV thing for myself anyway. And I hate all the talk that goes around with the parents of young girls nowadays. I would definitely get that shot for my kid (if I had one). If it could possibly help save her from all this. It is up to the parents to make sure she is not "promiscuous" not the shot....

Well, off my box, for now,
best of luck
Tracy
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Tracy,
I was told about 8 years ago I had HPV. Doc, implied it was no big deal. Since I am part of the study, I get a HPV test evrytime I have a colpo. (That brings back swelly belly) I asked if I was 16 or 18 pos, but I guess there are more strains that can cause ca besides those two.
As far as the Gardisil shot. I have two girls ages 15 & 11. I have been open and honest with them about the HPV, and told them I want them to get the shot. I have taught them about purity, and the importance of it. While my prayer is that they maintain their purity until marriage, but there is no way to know if he has or not. I want them to atleast have a shred of protection, so that they won't have to contend with all of this. But, I also believe that we have to go through our own trials and that our faith is what gets us through it. Mine sure is helping me.
Heather

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register